samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
Hello Reefers!!!

I'm back!!!! After leaving the hobby for 2 years, and lurking around, i finally can't resist and wanted to start my own tank thread. Hopefully this will be my last tank for many many many years. :lol_large The tank will be a mix reef, since this should be my last and final tank i hope........ i'll plan and do everything nice and slow, no more rushing it to get it up. I'll be lurking around to find some good deals.

The plan is to have the tank in the basement since it's more cooling, and i have a nice space to play around with instead of first floor, but getting it down to the basement will be a pain. The tank will be run on a dedicated 20amp line and another shared line, GFI protected, hopefully that'll do it. The wall behind it will be green board for better moisture resistant.

Miracles Rimless Tank :D
Dimension: 48L X 30W X 24H
Starephire front 3/4" glass
5/8" for all other glass
Temper glass for back panel for more strength
Center External Overflow, with a black acrylic to block of the front view
The back of the tank will be painted black

Equipment List
Lighting - 3 to 4 AI SOL blue as i always like the blue look. I'm hoping 3 AI would be enough, if not maybe a 4th.

Skimmer - will shop around as there is no immediate need for one

Dosing - since there is not much to start with, i'll not get one until i have more corals, water change should be sufficient for now but i'll go the dosin route.

Heater - eheim jager 2x 150 watt

Power Head - 2 MP40, is that enough flow, will have 2 3/4 inch return, probably getting a strong return pump for more water flow.

Return pump - Water blaster, eheim 2x?

RODI - typhoon III delux

Sump - ??? saw my buddy Moidol's sump, looks really nice with the rimless, if there's left over $, planning on getting a deep blue 48inch frag tank and put in the baffles but that is to be decided later.

Piping - planning to get all the piping from savako online, since they have those gray looking pvc pipes, looks much better than the home depot white pvc pipe. Didn't like the look when i had the 180 and 150g tank.

Sand - i think i like the sand bottom look more than bare bottom more, but haven't decide on which sand yet.

Rock - probably will go with some nice dry rocks, remember seeing member vendor selling some nice dry rocks, anyone can remind me who that vendor is????

coral & fishes
Mix of sps & lps and soft corals.
Fishes, i like schooling fishes, some anthias, dori, nemo and and several tangs, Naso tang, yellow tang, fat head.........

What other important stuff am i missing to run the tank?

A picture of the overflow design and retrun from the back view.

Comments and ideas are welcome!

Externaloverflow.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MO~IDOL

I Work Hard For Color!
Vendor
Rating - 100%
643   0   0
welcome back yo! I know you'll b back haha!

Nice tank plan! painting the back of the tank is pain in the butt I would just tint it. also get 2x250w heater much faster to heat up. did you c the Ecotech radion:lol_large

btw rock and glasses I can hook ya up.

Last edited:

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Welcome back, Sam! Has it been 2 years already? Seemed like yesterday when we loaded that Marineland 150g into your truck :lol2: Can't wait to see pictures of your new setup.

samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
welcome back yo! I know you'll b back haha!

Nice tank plan! painting the back of the tank is pain in the butt I would just tint it. also get 2x250w heater much faster to heat up. did you c the Ecotech radion:lol_large

btw rock and glasses I can hook ya up.

Miracles aquarium is painting the tank for me, no pain :). So 1 less job for me. Probably will focus on building my standing soon, any advice.....hehehehe!!!

Heater? Which brand is better? I heard of echotec radionics jus didn't see in action? Is much better? Btw, you think 3 AI is enough?

I'll definetly check with you on rocks and glass. Just move to my new place today, lots of crap to unpack. So it's going to be sometime before I get there.

Thanks man!!!!

samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
Welcome back, Sam! Has it been 2 years already? Seemed like yesterday when we loaded that Marineland 150g into your truck :lol2: Can't wait to see pictures of your new setup.

Hay Steve! How you been? I got reef withdrawal symptom after the two years.....lol!!! Yeah I still remember moved the 150 marine land tank into the car....kakaka!!! I had to sell that off due to family additions and moving plan, well. I'm back!!!! You must have a. Georgous tank, I need to check it out someday.

samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
Looking forward & tagging along.
Same here, tagging along your and ken's thread closely....lol!!! Actually I was going to get the same setup as ken but changed my mind last minute.

It was just a matter of time...lol welcome back :)
Sounds like it will be a great tank, looking forward to following along!
Thanks Kathy! I hope I have enough time and do a good job. =D

Welcome back
thank you for the warm welcome back :)

Welcome back!! The road all over again, hehe..
Thanks, feel like a newbie...lol!!!

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
Welcome back... Is there a reason why 3/4" starphire glass was used for the front instead of having it 5/8" for all sides? Is it less scratch resistant at that thickness? Just wondering...

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Hay Steve! How you been? I got reef withdrawal symptom after the two years.....lol!!! Yeah I still remember moved the 150 marine land tank into the car....kakaka!!! I had to sell that off due to family additions and moving plan, well. I'm back!!!! You must have a. Georgous tank, I need to check it out someday.

I hear ya! The tank looks great... the waiting process sucks, I went through that as well. But it's great watching your baby come off the assembly line ;)

Let's hang at Alan's one day... if he allows it. :teeth:

samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
I hear ya! The tank looks great... the waiting process sucks, I went through that as well. But it's great watching your baby come off the assembly line ;)

Let's hang at Alan's one day... if he allows it. :teeth:
Your so right!!!! Agree 120% :spin:
Yes, let's hang out one day, if he say no, we go crash his place and r*pe his tank....kakkakkaka!!! I need to see his tank for some inspiration and sump design. He's da go to guy.....hahahaha!!! One of the best dude on MR, after you....:lol2:

Tank looks great!
Thanks!!! but it's not going to be here soon, which is good, leave me time to plan for equipment and stand building.:sgrin:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: