masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Thanks guys for the compliments. Masterswimmer.....what anemone would you recommend? Remember I only have 195watts of pc lighting.

195w of pc lighting is not ideal for an anemone. With that being the case, you might want to try some Euphyllia sp. (frogspawn, hammer, torch). These corals can also be irritated, but I've had great success with my mated clowns hosting in them with no ill effects for over two years now.

swimmer

rfc

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I have put a lot of time and money into this experiment and Im...........HOOKed !

Masterswimmer, its funny I have this really cool frogspan dead center that really puffs up during the day, but both clowns totally ignore it. Why the big clown decided on the CC (candycane) is beyond me. Once lights go out the clown goes to the other side to the tank to sleep. Hopefully the CC will be ok in the long run.

Thanks for the insight Leslie....I learn something new everyday at this fantastic board :)

Here are a couple new pics of the tank with only actinics and with the canopy/stand open

original.jpg

original.jpg

Regards

RFC

Last edited:

rfc

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another monthly update......

Just a few changes since last time.....

1) devils hand frag was chucked. It kept on getting knocked off its rock and after 3 weeks its polyps refused to open and started to turn a nasty grey.....goodbye

2) Purchased my first sps frags. A montipora platiforumis and capricornis. Both are sitting on the top rock and I have already seen new growth after a few weeks. Noticed the other night the platiformis is apparently doing battle with the capricornis. Guess its time to separate them.

3) Purchased a green open brain to keep the red open brain company :)

Still doing some research on metal halide. Looks like I'm going to go 250W DE 14K phoenix from Hellolights. At this time they are out of stock.

Another future purchase I am looking at is the reefkeeper 2. I am going to wait till they update their software to see what it offers.

Overall , the tank seems pretty stable after 8 months and surprisingly, the crocea is growing and is still colorful under my PC lighting.

Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving Holiday !

Some recent pics:

nov%2021%20large%20full.jpg

green%20brain.jpg

montipora%20peltiformis.jpg

original.jpg

greeen%20closed%20brain%20actinic.jpg

frogspawn%20actinic.jpg

Regards

RFC

zaza

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Super nice tank!! Your picture are wonderfull as well!!
I also checked out your gallery, there are some really nice shots!
...and I thought I had some nice shots from the Chiuly :)

rfc

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the compliments on my tank. Its been a fun and exciting 9 months for me. Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving.

Nanchil.......The canopy I am using was a measure as you build affair. No plans, it just evolved while building it. It is basically a lightweight space frame with very thin oak panals. If you want more pics, just send me a message and I will take some new pics.

Thanks again everyone and Happy Holidays

Regards

RFC

Last edited:

joseney21

FDNY MEDIC
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
awsome setup you have there RFC!!! i can't believe how clean youre keeping your tank, awesome job.

i also think you have more than enough light for an anemone, an RBTA or GBTA would do great in your tank. some target feeding wouldn't hurt (as a backup).

would love to see what you'd do to a big tank.

what additives do you use, if any, and what is your maintenace schedule like??

rfc

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Joseney.

Thanks for the compliment. I will probably end up upgrading my lights in the near future so an anemone is on hold at this point in time. But thanks for the recommendations.

As to maintenance:

- daily top offs 1/2 gallon
- add a couple of caps of C Balance daily
- I scrap off algae from the front back and sides of glass every other day
- 5 gallon water changes every week
- change carbon in fluval canister every 2 weeks

I think one of the reasons my tank has been healthly and clean is having a relatively large sump. When I added the 15 gallon sump to my 29g tank, my nitrites went to zero and have stayed there.

Regards

RFC

rfc

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just another update. The big change was I finally upgrade to MH....YEAH ! After getting advice from a number of great members on this board I ended up purchasing a 250W PFO minipendant, 14K phoenix, and an icecap electronic ballast. It was installed just last week and I am still acclimating my corals with screens and egg crate. Thus far after just one week I have already noticed some nice changes. The brown colors on some of my corals are being replaced with bright greens. My brains, and other ephyl corals are expanding more, and my zoos seem to be growing and spreading after being more or less dormant for the past few months.

Heat hasn't been an issue. My previous setup 195wPC and in the hood ballasts kept the tank around 80 degrees. Thus far with MH my tank ranges from 79.5 to 81 degrees. We will see what happens when I remove all the screening and egg crate.

Here are a few pics.

Old lights - 195w PC Dec 17
full%20tank%20large%20dec%2017.jpg

New Lights 250w 14K Jan 4
jan%204%20large.jpg

Coming out at Night​
original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Thanks everyone for your guidance over the past 10 months and Happy New Year to All

Regards

RFC

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: