tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Hey Angelo,
Nice meeting you yesterday.
Thanks for the kind comments on my tank.
It's been running since...August??
Prior to that it had been running with just sand and marco rock (plus about 10 g of water, 5lbs of rock, 2 cups of sand from an established tank) for about 2 months.

I am pretty happy with it.
My aim is to not have to buy/stock with anything after this swap.
Just sit back and let it grow.
That's why I'm going so hard stocking and ordering drygoods now.
Maybe I can stop sinking so many parts of my earnings into it!!!

See you soon I'm about to leave for hte swap.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Oh, and I dose those things off and on. The corals i keep do not really need me to dose, and my cal and alk levels are fine (salifert test kits.) I don't have a Mg kit yet, but since i have macro (including two types of mangroves) I do dose Mag about 5ml every 2 weeks.

But I use Reef Plus or something like that which replenishes trace elements, and I also do frequent low salinity water replenishes (in addition to freshwater additions)due to my high evaporation rate. So, I get my trace minerals back in.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Post swap pics:
Here is a pic of my sump.
I got an order of some tigger pods, and added Caulerpa prolifera and a different batch of Chaetomorpha (which had a healthy amount of pods in it YAY!).
IMAG0349.jpg

Another leather: I havent seen what it looks like once its fully happy. I bought it thinking it would be pink. I hope it's not green as I have one of those already
IMAG0347.jpg

Boom! Euphyllia harem. Finally added the frogspawn thanks to nanoreefer
IMAG0346.jpg

IMAG0345.jpg

Lobo: Have to wait till it's happy
IMAG0344.jpg

A bubble and new dendros:
IMAG0343.jpg

Utter chaos frag
IMAG0342.jpg

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Cute setosa frag
IMAG0340.jpg

Don't know the name of this...not sure if it is alive I do not see polyps
IMAG0339.jpg

This broke into 3 pieces. not sure what it is
IMAG0338.jpg

Chalice
IMAG0337.jpg

Rasta zoa
IMAG0336.jpg

Gold Ric
IMAG0333.jpg

yellow leather
IMAG0334.jpg

Paly grandis!!! Wanted one of these for a long time
IMAG0332.jpg

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Hhaha, as I see more of the revived LPS I see that it is a bubble coral!!!
Great... just bought one of those at the swap.
I'll see how it does in the coming days/weeks but may sell/trade the one I picked up from the swap.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Have a new skimmer.

I am now using a Reef Octopus 150 NW.
It my old skimmer was taking DAYS to produce half a cup (albeit it had a large cup).
Even after trial and error of how high to set the water/bubbles, etc.

So, we will see.
Post pics later.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Hm,
Am thinking of making a nano sps tank... it would allow me to keep my anemone in my main tank AND allow my water to be...less clean for my softies.

I like xenia, etc but they do not grow as fast/look as healthy when I'm running lower nutrient levels.

Also, good low nutrient system products are cheaper for smaller tanks!

I have everything except for a pump to run in the back of the tank (it's a custom king AIO).

Will set it up during holiday break.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Whoa...since I'm leading a GB that means people are going to be coming to my home AND seeing my tank. I guess I should buy some soda, chips and beers (non drivers!)??

Anyway, took a couple of shots today. These pics are to show growth.
All corals I got at the swap or around the time of the swap:
Bought 1 polyp...now I have 5 polyps of Rastas:
IMAG0447.jpg

This Frogspawn has two baby heads poking out!
IMAG0439.jpg

I first thought this was just a skeleton, so I epoxyed the duncan on top of it for stability. 2 weeks or more later I start seeing small tendrils. What do you know! It's a torch coral!!! It seriously looked like pure skeleton. Every few weeks the tendrils get longer and longer
IMAG0438.jpg

Not sure what these are...variable mohawks, but they've grown 3 heads??
IMAG0444.jpg

Still not sure what this but I like it. I have 2. This one is on a small rock adn the other is on the top side of an odd shaped rock. I may trade that one off. It's nice but it is hard to fit into my aquascape.
IMAG0442.jpg

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
This at first looked like a random shard of rock. Upon closer inspection it looks like a baby plate anemone?
IMAG0433.jpg

This is not a BABY plate :)
IMAG0432.jpg

Polyps on a growing gorgonian
IMAG0431.jpg

Don't remember what this is but it was one of the free sps frags.
IMAG0430.jpg

Woot woot, blasto I got from coral theory moving sale. Was only 3 heads now it has 8!
IMAG0429.jpg

Don't know if you noticed it on the last shot of this setosa, but there was a bald spot on the tip that looked like a dark hole. Now it is mostly closed up!!! I can also see growth on the sides of the disc
IMAG0427.jpg

Sort of FTS
IMAG0436.jpg

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
1 polyp of Utter Chaos bought on swap day is now 4 POLYPS and I see 1 more beginning to pop out
IMAG0419.jpg

These I got about...3 weeks ago??? Not sure what they are:
IMAG0421.jpg

Are these gobbstoppers? They look like it to me...
IMAG0422.jpg

This is the one I think Im going to trade. I don't need two big pieces and this one is on a good size rock that just doesnt fit. I'll be putting a flat rock to hold that big plate anemone if I can trade it out.
IMAG0423.jpg

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
It was being bad. Kept moving around. Albeit, it was my fault for changing up the light schedule so much. At least I know how to extract it from the rocks. Turn off the lights for 2-3 days and it'll crawl up to the highest point and will be easy to take off as it travels. Just have to make sure to turn off hte power heads (but leave on the overflow/return for aeration for the fish).

IMAG0400.jpg

See? This is what it decided to live in...
IMAG0390.jpg

Then I moved the whole thing to the sand bed and kept the lights off until it moved out to the sand bed.
IMAG0397.jpg

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
And here is my skimmer, the Reef Octopus 150NW
I have to change this every 3 days to make sure it doesnt reach the top! Totally rocks compared to my old one:

The skimmate you see here is just from 1 day of skimming.
IMAG0467.jpg

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Thanks!!!

I have more too!

I just picked up some things i could not let pass...I get these moments where i just...buy...sigh.

Anyway, they just finished acclimating and i snapped some shots:

Sunny Ds starting to open up.
Blue Lagoons are right behind them. Neither have good pics here but I'll check again tomorrow.
IMAG0490.jpg

Mint Monti w/ blue polyps
IMAG0476.jpg

Purple Digi
IMAG0474.jpg

Last edited:

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Green Slimer, it came loose from its plug in transit so I had to touch i. The polyps on that side have retreated for now. I hope they come back out. But this side looked good:
IMAG0472.jpg

IMAG0473.jpg

ora Blue Voodoo
IMAG0481.jpg

Oh, this is me acclimating them (first they just floated in the bag in the water, then i used the drip acclimators (I have 5 of them I think..)
IMAG0470.jpg

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Thanks!

Some more updates/notes to myself:
I just ordered some of those bulk Jehmco plankton/mysis packs. 5lbs of the stuff should last me a good while. I use a combo of Selcon, Garlic guard, and reef plus into my food to add extra HUFA and vits.

This is a cage I made. I am trying to trap a clown that hosts this LTPA
IMAG0552.jpg

New Clowns from Wingo. I am going to get a bottle and try to divert them into the part of the tank with my RBTA and then HOLD THEM THERE!! Maybe they will host it...or at least feel protected/safe in that area and be more likely to hang out
IMAG0544.jpg

The orange one is a replacement for a clown I lost just the night before. I guess he went down the UTUBE and then jumped out of the sump. Sad.
IMAG0517.jpg

Now that I have the BW, I just "need" these fish:
Lyretail anthia Harem- 1 boy, 2 girls
Leopard Wrasse- blue star?
And I may be interested in maroon gold stripe clowns...3 pairs in one tank?
maybe a long nosed hawkfish...
after that...I think I'm good...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: