tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Whew, home from swap and a lil sat shopping.
Did a 3 hr acclimation of the corals and just put them on a new patch of egg crate.

I'll take a pic of them under the moonlights in a few.

I have:
Moseleya (wanted this for years)
2 acans- 1 gold and 1 rainbow
green blastos
black sun coral polyps
pectina
orange setosa
gold torch
red chalice
teal and orange zoa
yellow fiji leather
green tipped toadstool
(and I'll be picking up a regular toadstool monday)

I won:
Prodibio kit for my nano tank
Kalkwasser reactor for when I do a rehaul of my system and set it up for being a real mixed reef with SPS.

Also, I'll be getting my new ATI 48" 6X54W Fixture by Thursday in the mail.
And the bulbs for it some time this week.

I have a few quotes out for a sump build, we'll see if the price is right.
Otherwise, I'll be buying a rubbermaid 30g to make due for now.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Thanks! I'll check their website.
Are they consistently good?
I know i've read some ...less than stellar reviews of their DT tanks over the years, but I supose that for every 1 bad review ONLINE there are tons of happy people.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Updates:

So, I was unwilling to spend the money so far on a custom sump, so I will save up for that.

For now I have a 29g tank that will allow me to fit the ASM G4, my own filter sock holders, a return and in the random space amongst all of that i will add some macro.

Also,
I received my ATI fixture and bulbs. I have to finish redoing the tank and some other things first.

Today was spring cleaning day (and need at least 2 more days...):
I took all of m fish stuff from around the house and organized it into a big bookshelf
I poured out all of my extra water and gave it a GOOD vinegar bath and scrub.
I also gave a vinegar bath to all of the sump plumbing (overflow, etc)

Tonight/Tomorrow i have to aquascape- glue the frags down
Do a 10g water change
Set up the temporary sump (but not turn it on)

Monday:
Clean out nano tank and install the lights (will install my DIY led kit into a coralife fixture that has legs for that specific tank!).
Start sump (incl new skimmer, carbon/gfo reactor,)
Water change
test water quality at the very end of the day or early Tuesday morn (phosphate, calcium, nitrate)

Tues
If DT and Sump look good then put on new lights (I will either cut side vents in the canopy since i REALLY like the look or just set it on top and see how i like that for a while before considering a change. I just dont like light spill.

If calcium levels were high enough I will start using the Kalk reactor i won at the swap. If not then I will dose calcium chloride until its high enough then use the kalk afterwards.

Clean

After that just hope that everything works and troubleshoot as necessary.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Hahahha,
No not the jackpot.

This is the ONLY hobby I have. I work hard, I do not play, I spend time and funds on my family as needed, save for retirement, and then any extra money is saved for my tank.

So, I save say...75-100$ per month since the fall swap just for my tank fund.

Additionally, I consolidated all of my old equipment from the past 5 years or so of reefing on and off and sold/traded them. That's what paid for my new lights.

Now i have to save money for a sump. I don't think I'll be upgrading anytime soon...so the next sump needs to be worth the money. So, hopefully, a new sump in 3 months!

Also, the changes to my system are all coming from me cutting too many corners AND being inconsistent in my husbandry in the first place. I paid the price for that and the only way to make it better is to have better husbandry and put the $$ into failsafes like a reef controller, reliable lighting, etc.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
These pics are under my temporary lights which are 2x 150w MH 12K Sunpod
Very yellow/white in color. I had to put these up when my fish decided to splash my MH SE which caused them to burst.

Will set up the new lights Tues night or Wed. So, we get to see a before/after from 3 fixtures (my old 250 mh 15-20k, the current 150w 12k, then the t5s and i'll list the bulb colors)

gold torch

moselyea

pectinia

acans

FTS

samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
Hahahha,
No not the jackpot.

This is the ONLY hobby I have. I work hard, I do not play, I spend time and funds on my family as needed, save for retirement, and then any extra money is saved for my tank.

So, I save say...75-100$ per month since the fall swap just for my tank fund.

Additionally, I consolidated all of my old equipment from the past 5 years or so of reefing on and off and sold/traded them. That's what paid for my new lights.

Now i have to save money for a sump. I don't think I'll be upgrading anytime soon...so the next sump needs to be worth the money. So, hopefully, a new sump in 3 months!

Also, the changes to my system are all coming from me cutting too many corners AND being inconsistent in my husbandry in the first place. I paid the price for that and the only way to make it better is to have better husbandry and put the $$ into failsafes like a reef controller, reliable lighting, etc.

I hear you, your a good man!

Take it easy with the build....don't rush, your tank will come out nice :lol_large

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Ahoy folks.

So, since I last posted here I have pics of my lights and I have some new testing equipment.

I want to make this quick though...so I will just list updates:

• Switching to ESV Salt- hate slimey bucket from IO, and Mg Ca lvls
  • Started testing for Ca, Mg, KH and found that my levels are lower than where I would like them: Mg 1010, Ca, 400, KH 8.4
  • I got Kalk +2 for the reactor that I won at the swap. Until I figure out how to use it, I will use the Kent Drip doser I got from samsky at the swap.
  • My p
hos are sky high again (Hanna meter) and I found the problem with the Dual Reactor- am considering getting the TLF reactors again because flow was great on them. I just wanted the dual because it was easier to clean. I'd rather take 10 min to clean something than not have good flow.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
zoa garden: rainbow palys, aog, utter chaos, purple death, rasta, green somethings, red somethings, gorilla nips, blue lagoon, mary jane

anemones and leathers:
1 rock anem, 12 maxi mini carpets, devils hand, green and reg color toadstool, sinularia

acan garden update

feeders haven
dendro colony, 2 dendro frags, black sun polyps, 1 orange and green moselyea, 2 cynaria, 1 green plate

helpdesk: yellow sun, 2 types of bubbles, 2 colors of duncans that have seen better days (dont know whats up with them), superman yuma,

euphyllia garden:
octospawn, gold torch, purple hammer, yellow tip black body torch, reg hammer and reg torch

fts

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
started using ESV salt. slow change over.
Dont mind the extra work. it's fun. Does not actually take very long. Considering the length of time I had to wait to wait till the IO was clear. Takes maybe 5min to make 10 gal and I can use it immediately.

Also, finally found a pair of TLF reactors for a good price. I will trade my dual brs like reactors for...something. Don't know if i need anything though.

Made a DIY filter sock holder.

I will install an S hook into my sump so it can hold my Kent Doser.
Same for my old set of LEDs for a small refugium i will install for chaeto and mangroves.

I'm on vacay for a few weeks, so I can be adamant about weekly water changes.

It feels good to not need anything for the tank.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
hey there,
I love the ESV salt.

I mean that I like the process- I like having to weigh and mix each part. It does not actually take that long. I used little wonton soup cups (clean of course) and marked each for the weight of whichever part it will hold. So, it speeds things up.
It takes me 5 min to mix up 15 g. It would take even less if I were not using 3 5 g buckets!!!

But 5min is less than the time it takes to allow Reef Crystals to clear.

Additionally, my buckets do not have a weird smell NOR THE WEIRD BROWN SCUM afterwards.

That's the main reason why I ventured out to find a new salt.

In terms of coral response?
Well, too soon to tell. My corals have always done well, and any issue was self caused.

I will say that my Mg levels has been more stable to where it "should" be.

:) I hope that was helpful

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: