tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Hey folks,
This tank has been set up since late summer but I have today off and figure I'll finally post this stuff.

This was my initial problem...I didnt know how to install the RODI undersink.
IMG_20120425_194325.jpg

However, I already bought the tank off of CL and needed to clean it up
IMG_20120405_183306-1.jpg

Made some baby steps on taking the weird color/stuff off of the wood. I first tried hand sanding...that was more work than I was interested in. Then I tried a cheap sander...which was imperfect and caused me to worry about my health...then I finally said "let me go the easier way" and I got more of the toxic goo (and after that resanded)
IMG_20120423_103935.jpg

Anyway...that took me weeks and I also had to fully figure out that RODI problem.
Fixed!
IMG_20120603_010238.jpg

I first tried it in the bathroom and specifically in the tub to make sure it worked/investigate how long i could let it run, etc.
I got the rubbermaid used and it was dirty due to salt residue?? I didn't know saltwater sitting smelled so musty!!
IMG_20120603_005836.jpg

IMG_20120603_005809.jpg

IMG_20120603_010302.jpg

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
After the water was taken care of, I needed to finish the body of the tank.
This is what it looks like after 3 coats of stain. I did the job myself and as you can see it is kind of runny...so I added another coat and now it is darker and you can't see the drips as much. I dont think I have an updated pic of that though, just trust me it looks cool.
IMG_20120526_142857.jpg

In addition to all that other stuff I had to get my rock situated. Marco Rocks...rock.
IMG_20120520_185006.jpg

IMG_20120520_185755.jpg

So I put the rock bases in to then be covered by the layers of sand. I am aiming for a deepish sand bed so I got like 5 bags of sand from drsfosters cheap and free shipping to my door! (you can see the darker stain a little bit in this pic)
IMG_20120603_084917.jpg

IMG_20120603_085422.jpg

IMG_20120603_091103.jpg

I did finer sand below coarser sand because my mentor tank up in Maine has maintained DSB tanks for over 15 years just like that. When I was going to college up there, she had one of only 2 or 3 SW stores in maine (she still does). So, I set up mine like hers.
IMG_20120603_091448.jpg

WATER!
IMG_20120603_182533.jpg

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Next come the lights!!!
The tank came with some PC lights which would not have been sufficient for my plans.
IMG_20120407_134630.jpg

So, I had to change them out.
IMAG0016.jpg

IMAG0017.jpg

Almost done
IMAG0019.jpg

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
So, at least a month passed...and I got a CUC From Maloney at reefcleaners (I seeded the tank with a piece of LR, cup of sand, and about 10 g of water from a 5 year old tank). I also brought some tank water from Coral Theory to be tested. The tests suggested that my tank was cool to be stocked. I started slowly...cleaners only for like a month!
IMAG0004.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

Snails moving around
IMAG0008.jpg

This is a pic probably a month after that, with some awesome juvi tank diatoms
IMAG0012.jpg

That was like...2-3 months ago.
I now have many frags (leathers, zoas, some shrooms, kenya, xenia, blasto, hammer, gsp) and the mandatory clowns.

I need some more fish though...wrasses, I am falling for them.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Thanks Skene.

The rocks are not on the glass. That's one reason I wanted a wide tank. I started off with a 65g years ago and it was annoying.

On this tank, the rocks have about 3 inches to spare before they touch the glass on the back wall and about 10 inches or more to the front.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Ok, so some more pics.
These lights are so blue...I don't like how it effects the pictures. I dont have any white lights, just the phoenix 14ks

Here is the side view, see no rocks on the glass.
IMAG0158.jpg

FTS
IMAG0159.jpg

IMAG0161.jpg

IMAG0160.jpg

IMAG0162.jpg

IMAG0163.jpg

IMAG0164.jpg

My leathers!!
IMAG0166.jpg

IMAG0165.jpg

IMAG0167.jpg

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Here is a pic of the sump.
I just traded a frag for some chaeto so now I have some of that.

I also have a phosban reactor. The skimmer needs a new gasket for hte connection between the head and the body of the skimmer. It leaks a bit without it, that's why I put it to sit in the fuge.
Prior to noticing the small leak, it sat outside of the tank in the inflow container, thus giving me enough space for a full fuge. Either way, the fuge footprint is big enough to hold the skimmer and macro...

IMAG0169.jpg

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Ah, yes, I did that today.
I haven't installed an ATO yet...trying to find one that is easy to install/operate and good for the amount of space I have.

Anyway, I woke up to seeing it was wicked low (less than 1.5 inches) and then I over did it! Later on, after the pic, I siphoned out about 3 gallons and now it sits only about 3-4 inches above the pump.

Also, on the return line, I did not trust the siphon hole (because during testing, I saw that the siphon hole wasn't working!!!) so I wedged something under it and now less than a gallon of water (if the water line is only 2-4 inches above the pump, then after power failure the water rises only another 1-2 inches leaving tons of space) will "backflow" into the sump when the pump fails!!!

Thanks for catching that!

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Picked up a few things today:

have to find out what this is, I know it is a sea cucumber and a filter feeder nd just hope it isnt a sea apple. there are two in the tank:
IMAG0175.jpg

these were also hitchhikers, have to ask him if he remembers what these are. two batches of them (5 total) i can see an underlying skeleton so i guess it is lps:
IMAG0176.jpg

IMAG0183.jpg

gorgonian, have to ask what ytype
IMAG0178.jpg

have to ask what these are. Thought they were dead but obviously not
IMAG0180.jpg

also thought these were dead but they are not all dead. it looks like washed out black sun polyps to me:
IMAG0185.jpg

peppermint shrimp
IMAG0186.jpg

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
i never know which is which because people sell them under the same name... both of the next pics were sold as nepthea
i think this is the "rare" palau nepthea
IMAG0188.jpg

and this is the sinularia (i got this a while ago)
IMAG0189.jpg

does anyone know? i thought the nepthea was brighter green. either way i like them.

a maze coral to nurse
IMAG0192.jpg

random zoa polyps that were stuck on a medium rock (the brown looking ones
IMAG0191.jpg

yellow sun polyps to nurse
IMAG0183.jpg

tons of new live rock scrubbed and some still recooking:
IMAG0187.jpg

IMAG0195.jpg

not sure if i like the rock work. will rescape if necessary after the swap as thatll be the last day of tank live stock purchases

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Thanks!!!
The shrimp has gone MIA...I hope she comes back.

After the swap I'll rescape the tank and actually glue/putty the rocks down.

Not sure if I should use putty or glue actually...I hear mixed reviews.
Currently, I'm tired of trying to use the glue even on frags because two days later, the frags start swaying/glue comes undone.

So, we'll see.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Oh, I have so many new friends on order at the swap tomorrow.
I am making a new batch of rodi water and setting up acclimation pods.

Anyway, have a few new friends:

A wrasse, I dont know what type it is. It has lines up its body, with a small eye on it's tail, but then has a colorful face. It doesnt like my camera.
IMAG0330.jpg

dendros (1 big head 1 baby), I should be picking up a 5 head frag from the swap too. I already paypaled before I got this one in the pic and thought itd be rude to back out, so I'll have to frags soon.
IMAG0305.jpg

cute zoas, dont know what type
IMAG0289.jpg

rics? and my purple death palys
IMAG0283.jpg

weird toadstool
IMAG0275.jpg

fire shrimp?
IMAG0272.jpg

mandarin
IMAG0271.jpg

torch
IMAG0259.jpg

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
hammer
IMAG0260.jpg

my weird ora lobo
IMAG0261.jpg

this piece is left over from when the foot of the lobo melted
IMAG0258.jpg

my rbta chillin
IMAG0262.jpg

IMAG0256.jpg

cloves? these started as 3 little hands and in 3 months exploded into over 20 hands
IMAG0257.jpg

purple long tentacle plate nem
IMAG0253.jpg

new kids on the block. they were kept fat and happy by their previous dad, so I had to change my feeding schedule. They are still fat and happy and have a nicely varied diet
IMAG0243.jpg

IMAG0245.jpg

so this is some kind of euphyillia that is/was near death. i was going to throw it out when i got it but noticed that some of the flesh was still there. after 2 days it was still there and i noticed it started to plump up in the light.
ill get another ic but in the past two weeks ive seen it pump up even more and start to see baby tentacles. the mouth is starting to develop more.
i dont know what it is, but hope it is frogspawn since i dont have that yet
IMAG0239.jpg

IMAG0234.jpg

mangroves (black and red) and chaeto and dragons breath
IMAG0215.jpg

fts
IMAG0218.jpg

thank you to all the people that are helping to make this tank happen. i love watching it at night

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: