tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
:)

Thank you so much!!

Lol, so as the controversy goes, I may be saving up for some lighting change.

--First, I'm going to see if I can just install some VHO/T5 lights to get more blue to supplement the 14k Phoenix bulbs.
I have a set of T5s I think from a purchase months ago that I never set up.
I can probably do that tonight and see if I like the color change.
Just want to make sure my SPS keeps their color.

-- Second, if I don't like that...then I will order 20k radium bulb (79 on amazon or 84 on drsfoster but free shipping on both so competitive price).
I'm only ordering 1 bulb since I just got a new Phoenix bulb to put over my new sps.

--- Third...I'll also be putting money into a savings account for either LEDs or something else. (The LED phantoms are just under $500 for controllable LEDs and that's the cheapest Ive seen not counting the no name LEDs on ebay, which some people say are good... Then there is the new Onyx Rapid Led but those are not controllable and I would at least like to Dim/change intensity).

I just dont want my sps to turn brown...
My nitrates aren't very high, I do not have excessive algae at all. All of my coral seem to be thriving. I just want to you know...baby my tank.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Also,

Here is my nano tank that should be set up by Sunday (waiting for Black Tahitian Moon sand and a heater from Drsfoster) for my BW clowns, anemone, and corals that I want there.
IMAG0644.jpg

Last edited:

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Hm, not fully set up yet.

Added about 18 lbs of tahitian black sand, 18lbs of rock, a powerhead (that heater and maxijet should go in the back chamber one I figure out how to do it).
IMAG0688.jpg

The lights are 2 strips of LEDs (blue only) borrowed from a friend just to see what they look like on my tanks.
This nano will house my 2 BW clowns, an anemone, and a few corals I need to rescue from tumbling/annoying CUC members.

So, far I like the spread on this nano.

But the 120 , only 1 strip line does not give enough coverage/has the spot light look within my canopy.

So, unless I'm willing to remove the canopy, I can't use strip LED lights for supplementation...or I guess use an LED strip with more LEDs and optics at different degrees to compensate...but that seems wasteful/unnecessary so I wont do that.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Okay,
Did quite a few things over break:

1) Redid the 16g nano- took out the rock, rock was giving off a sulfurus scent when I took it out to rescape (also had black funky patches on the bottom of the rock). A coral I placed in there died too!
So, I drained it, cleaned it, and will recook the rock.
Also, bought hte plumbing piece and now have the Maxi 600 hooked up to run the back chamber (bit of chaeto, filter floss, heater).

2) Installed CF Dual actinic (430/460nm) 2x 40 w on my 120 DT. I now have 1 hour moonlight in the AM and PM. I like the way it looks. Not as much POP as LEDs but still nice and warm.

3) Installed my ATO!!!! I'm using a 5g water cool jug and don't think it's going to be enough. To keep the water level in sump height I'm looking for, it's already used up about 1.5 gallons in just one day. So, I'll still have to refill the just about twice a week (when I had to top the tank off about 3-4 times a week before installing the ATO)

IMAG0725.jpg

IMAG0726.jpg

IMAG0728.jpg

IMAG0730.jpg

I am going to paint the part of that little bookshelf/water shelf with chalk board paint so I can write fish tank reminders.
At least it blends in with the decor in the living room/not just a big jug of water.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
unfortunately, I also broke the impeller on my brand new Maxijet 1200!!!
Ugh, I really despise those things. They never work properly right out of the box for me. So the little purple shafts broke off (for use as a pump). Now I have to use it as a power head only.

I should put up a thread to see if anyone has the pump impeller....

I'm using it to run my dual gfo/carbon reactor. The maxijet 600 is far too little output.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
So, I'm down to 1 MH bulb, 1 CF blue bulb and 1 cf white bulb for a 120 standard tank.

What happened?
1 of the CF blues fell to the ground and shattered when I was changing things out.
1 MH burst for some reason OVER the tank, I think I noticed it only 2 days after it must have popped.
1 CF White is just replacing the popped MH bulb.
1 MH ballast is not working since it is a retro fit kit and the wiring went wonky after I did the original installation of the CF blue bulbs as an alternative to LEDs for more pop.

:sigh:

The fates want me to get an AIO lighting system.

We'll see.

I'm about ready to just drop some cash in a few pots to get this tank set up and done with so I can stop having to tinker and spend money on minor patches for bigger issues.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Updates:

Equipment:
Bought new MH bulb (20k hamilton)- had two mH working for about 3wks?
1 MH bulb (the older one) burst this past weekend, same reason- fish splashing water inside canopy high enough to fracture the glass
Back to 1 MH bulb (just with the new 20k one) and CF
Bought a DIY LED kit and will try modding it over the weekend to swap the MHs entirely, just have to get the time and remaining equipment- multimeter, soldering, paste

Some coral death due to not realizing my heater was off for 4-5 days...

Selling/Sold my Reef Octopus NW150 since i'm adding more fish and want to feed my fish more than once per day but lower my nitrates.
Will look for a skimmer that is rated for 200+ gallons

Have new Fish
IMAG0813_zps19e164b3.jpg

Rescaped my rock work again and have this left over:
IMAG0795_zpsc58b89e3.jpg

LED set up
IMAG0777_zps1f945270.jpg

Keeping track:
IMAG0734.jpg

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
New to me skimmer:
ASM G4 with sedra 5000 pump.
Rated for vol of 300/350
My system is 150 g total

The thing is HUGE.

But more importantly, the guy I bought it from took extreme care to package it. I mean, the collection cup internal sections had bubble wrap inside of it, the top was packaged sep., everything had its own bubble wrapglove that was taped tightly. Tons of packing peanuts too.

IMAG0845_zps0306640f.jpg

I'll give it a vinegar bath later in the morn. and have it running by Monday night
IMAG0846_zps2e342575.jpg

I still haven't finished the sump.

I have to take out all of the rooted mangroves, macros and siphone out the DSB.

I really want to try and save as many pods as possible.
I think I may siphon it all out and then put the DSB into an extra tank i have. I'll then use that tank as a macro grow out and it is slim enough to perhaps fit in the stand itself after some arrangement.

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
i would not disturb that sand bed then re use it because all the anaerobic bacteria will die and possibly cause a nitrite spike, once its touched its done and you have to take out all the water with it

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Ah, yes, did not think about that part.
I will still take it out and let it sit in the extra tank.

I'll throw in some filter pads to see if the amphipods will colonize it.

I just dont want to loose all the critters in the sump if possible.

Also, good news. My TDS meter readings:

.40-.44 from tap
.33 from wastewater
0 from RODI outlet

Yay!!

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
update:
Have to figure out a new sump configuration...due to leaking and goodness of literal fit into the space!

Also, due to some of the water issues I've had lately due to my oversight...(ato was pumping out too much freshwater, and was running a hyposalinity system for 2 wks...:sigh:)

I am investing in a controller!

In about 3-5 days I will be the owner of a new to me Apex Jr.
I'll just have the 4 plugs and a temp probe.
But I also need to find a salinity probe.
I think that's all I should need...

Will use it to run the lights, heater, pumps and ato.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
updates:

Will spend the night learning how to program
IMAG0911_zps3bc6475c.jpg

Going to try this out!!!
IMAG0892_zps0951bb2e.jpg

Newest Fish- Potters Leopard Wrasse
IMAG0925_zpsf44e9704.jpg

Pink Acan
IMAG0882_zps1a0895d5.jpg

Red/Orange + purple? Blasto and Trumpet Coral
IMAG0885_zps68686bc4.jpg

Dendro
IMAG0880_zpsbc8850a0.jpg

Elegance...can't wait to acclimate this and see it in my tank. I've wanted one for EVER
IMAG0884_zps44a1823d.jpg

IMAG0879_zpsaf40c6a0.jpg

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Hah, almost there! Replacing this one with the Aqueon 4 which is about 2inches smaller in width so, should not have a problem getting it in if angled this way.
IMAG0946_zps94620d04.jpg

sigh: I just like this so much
IMAG0947_zps60b88674.jpg

IMAG0944_zpseb2a86f5.jpg

I also just installed my new WP40. It's turned onto the L mode so it doesn't push my sand around.
But on my 120g standard, mounted on the middle of 1 wall, it pushes water ALL AROUND the tank. Behind the rocks is good flow. If it weren't for my sand, I would turn it up. I may try and change the aquascaping over there to allow me to increase the flow or to use the different crest modes.

So far it's a good buy. Now just have to track its performance over time.

I was using 2 koralia 4s, 2 koralia 3s and 1 mj1200 and now I'm down to this 1 pump.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
I picked him up from POP Coral just yesterday.

Yeah, I hope he eats prepared foods.
Yesterday I saw him picking at the rocks/exhibited similar behavior to my mandarin and NOT eating the flakes/mysis/pellets that everyone else was eating.

He didn't come out today so I hope he's ok.
I'll give him a few days to get acclimated to tank life.

Thanks for the compliment!!

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
So,
Newest wrasse is doing GREAT.
It's a green wrasse, looks like a real dragon. It's beautiful, and i love how it moves.

blurry I know. Maybe he'll stay still long enough

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
So, this is the type of new sump I want:
(NOT MY PICTURE, I found it on RC)

It's a 40br.
My stand will only fit something 35" and just maybe half an inch less in width.

No holes though.

So, since there are no glass tanks fitting those dimensions.
I guess i'll have to contact someone to custom make this?
Wish it could be as simple and low cost as glass and some baffles over siliconed!

I dont like the other options of two tanks, etc.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: