shookONES

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I've had good luck with Brightwell's Microbacter 7 to feed the cycle. Just throw in a piece of raw shrimp in there and start dosing once you see ammonia. My GF lives in Roseland so I'm always in your neck of the woods. Give me a shout if you ever need a hand.

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
At the recommendation of a few members on another forum I added instant ocean bio spira to my tank, one of the things though they say is you need to add some bioload within 24 hours.

Well I got a nice pair of Sustainable Aquatics Snow Onyx Clowns from Clown Aquatics.

I will take some photos/post a video tomorrow once I get the lights hung etc.

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I picked up two AI sol blues from Sunny today and got them hung. I must say two 16" over the water surface centered between my center brace lights the tank very very well. If I decide to add corals I may add a 3rd to allow me to lower them, but overall I am happy and impressed. Click the link for full size

http://i.imgur.com/1xBNtl.jpg
Hm5k1l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Hm5k1l.jpg
1xBNtl.jpg

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Got the lights programmed today thanks to Ant thirty5, also got the ATO setup thanks to him.

Only thing left to do is get my reactors online and then some wire management :0).

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Ladies and gentleman, boys and girls, children of all ages! I am excited to announce my tank is almost completely finished!

The only things remaining for the tank to be complete are (not in any order):
1. add fuge light, I'm thinking a fathom led par30 bulb
2. get a clamp for my water change drain tube
3. get a UV sterilizer (idk which yet)
4. program my apex so its 100% functional on the network and outlet settings
5. add sand to fuge? (can i add 20 lbs of dry sand to the tank if its already running/cycled?)
6. buy my CUC from reefcleaners
7. relax!
8. end of February I want to add anthias from Diamonds of the Reef :)

Equipment List:

Lights: 2 x AI sol blues 16" above water
Return: Eheim 1262
Skimmer: ATB 840 V2
Powerheads: 2 x Koralia EVO 1400s
Controller: Apex Lite w/ 2 EB8s
ATO: JBJ
Heaters: Ehieim Jagers 250 watts x 2
Reactors: BRS Single Reactor x 2 - 1 GFO, 1 Carbon
Fuge: will be running a Fathom Led Par 30 bulb
UV: will be running a Emperor Emperor Smart UV Lite 40 watt w/ 1.5" Union - open to suggestions on other models/brands.
RO Container: 33g brute can
Salt Container: 33g brute can
Rock: 100 lbs of dry rock from reefrocks
Sand: 120 lbs of sand from reefrocks
-
Quarantine: 20g long w/ hob filter & koralia 1200 gph powerhead & eheim jager 150 watt heater.

Here is a video of the tank and equipment setup as it stands :).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yUaVc04eQMM switch it to 720p

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Custom Mounting Bracket for AI SOL :) - less than $20 to make both from HD

9r1xZ5xl.jpg

Water Change Drain - All I need is a clamp for the barb. Basically I have a hose that is there and sits behind the sump. When I am ready to do a water change I take the hose, place my maxijet 1200 on the end of it and place it in the sump. I have the sump measured out to remove 15 gallons of water. Once I remove the 15gs I disconnect the maxijet from the hose and place it in my mixing container. Attach another hose to that and refill the sump with 15gs of freshly mixed saltwater.

kWE2eOdl.jpg

Cover - I built a nice screen cover for the tank with netting I got from amazon. A 14 ft x 7 ft 1/4" square pond net was only around $14.99. I then went to HD and purchased the window frame, spline, and spline tool. Make sure you get the proper sized spline :x, I got one a bit too big, but fortunately was able to get it in with some muscle.

My tank came with 2 glass covers as you can see I have on the other side since I hadn't finished making that side's frame. With the glass covers my temperatures were high and they blocked a lot of light/got dirty quickly. With the screen netting there is no light blockage and they look great. Also to account for the wires from my koralia all I did was cut a 2 x 2 section of the net on the left side and run the wires through them. The cut is so minimal that it would be difficult for a fish to get out. I also made it so that if I do need to remove the net for whatever reason I can simply swing it out and let it hang without having to remove the wires :).

o36zrHXl.jpg

The brains of my system - Apex Lite w/ 2 EB8s controlling everything. I would never run a tank without a controller, they are a must have piece of equipment IMO.

OMMCsvKl.jpg

Skimmer/ATO/Drain - You can see my ATB 840 v2, it seems to be almost broken in as it is not overflowing nearly as much. Also you can see my ATO hose. I had to place the end of the hose into the pvc pipe angled because otherwise it would create a siphon and empty completely into my tank. The hose is cut and probably extends only 2" or so inside the pvc pipe.

The barb fitting, which is also pictured above is my water change drain. The hose connected to it sits behind the sump. When I want to do a water change I just unravel it and connect a maxijet 1200. I open the valve at the drain and turn the pump on. The sump is measured so I know at what level is 15 gallons with the return and skimmer of. Once the 15 gallons empties I then disconnect the maxijet 1200 and place it in a brute container to the left of the sump. I refill the 15g and everything is perfect in the world.

I am using the JBJ for ATO at this time, but am considering maybe changing it for a different model. I am considering either an apex breakout box to control my ATO or maybe a different model. Not sure at this time though.

mm4M9Y8l.jpg

Lights - both AI sol blues hung and configured w/ wire management + both covers assembled. I put some tape on the left side cover as I do not forsee having to remove it too often and to help straighten out the framing to help it sit as flat as possible.

Hgz4tmJl.jpg

Well hope you enjoyed thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I've narrowed my choice down to the Emperor Aquatics Smart UV 40 watt.

Also happy to report that my skimmer is starting to break in, came home to about 1/4" of some nasty brown goodness.

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Wow this skimmer is KICKING BUTT! I had to adjust it to skim a little wetter, but man this thing is working well so far! I'm talking some nasty dark poo poo platta

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I stopped by coral theory today and picked up 3 more fish and a frag :x. I couldn't resist this blasto it was just too nice.

Btw the ATB 840 is a kickbutt skimmer! This is what it pulled in around 4/5 days.

wjpzmRWl.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: