e_baer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You want to make sure everything is as even as possible....remember how much weight is going to be on the glass of the tank. You need to disperse the weight as evenly as possible.

It would be a shame to get everything in your tank only to have it crack from a minor uneven part. Its better to be safe than sorry.

annanymous

Female Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
You want to make sure everything is as even as possible....remember how much weight is going to be on the glass of the tank. You need to disperse the weight as evenly as possible.

It would be a shame to get everything in your tank only to have it crack from a minor uneven part. Its better to be safe than sorry.

I have shims for the stand and plan to do that. What else (other then dense foam pad) can I do to make sure the stand on top is ok since my wood does not line up perfectly

e_baer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I would sand it down to make sure the top is even. You can also try to get some 1/4" plywood and put that on top to make sure the tank sits on an even surface. Here is a photo of what I did with my stand:

But, keep in mind that even with plywood, if there is a difference in height between one side and the other, the wood will still bend slightly which means the tank could bend slightly which could lead to the glass cracking.

Also, by adding plywood, you are raising the tank a little more which will make the tank slightly higher off the stand, which is fine, but you may or may not like the look if its sticking above the trim.

annanymous

Female Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Ok... So finally got the tank up on the stand. Still need to do a water test but hoping no surprises there

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1382838696182.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382838696182.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 209

annanymous

Female Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
AL day I have been trying to level the tank in the stand. For whatever reason I feel one corner is still not completely standing on the stand. Umphhh! The good news is that stand is almost level
du4u6y2u.jpg

It's still needs work but at least I've done something this weekend.
Oh and I painted the back and bottom. Finally decided to go barebottom with a deep mudbed fuse. Hope it's not a mistake.

annanymous

Female Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Some more goodies arrived today from BRS. Very soon I'll be ready to start plumbing away :O
Any ideas if I should reseal (apply silicone) to the side of the tank with gouged out silicone? Pic from my previous post?
uqanezup.jpg

annanymous

Female Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
True story, especially in these ancient buildings where nothing is leveled ...

That has been the biggest problem for me so far. I still haven't leveled out the stand plus I think I may need to take the tank down and lay another 1/4" sheet cuz the surface is so uneven. I don't want to have a 75gals worth of flood in few years.

Anyway, I'm ranting...

n3hihz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
That has been the biggest problem for me so far. I still haven't leveled out the stand plus I think I may need to take the tank down and lay another 1/4" sheet cuz the surface is so uneven. I don't want to have a 75gals worth of flood in few years.

Anyway, I'm ranting...

Don't think that will fix it. Laying a flat surface on an unleveled surface won't change the level .... I would think that if you would really wanna get down to the nails and bolt. Figure out which corner is 1/4" and a way to remedy it. harder said than done.

annanymous

Female Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Don't think that will fix it. Laying a flat surface on an unleveled surface won't change the level .... I would think that if you would really wanna get down to the nails and bolt. Figure out which corner is 1/4" and a way to remedy it. harder said than done.

Took ur advice and nearly took apart most of the set up so car.
Looks like I'm almost back to square one :-(
gahydyzy.jpg

I have finally determine exactly what was causing all the problems.
Below is the image of the front skinning wood which sticks out anywhere 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch.
gy9y2e5e.jpg

It o ly does this in one corner. The other corner is even.
I can only blame it on the uneven floor, cuz otherwise I have no idea how the hell this happened.
What can I do to make everything even? Would using a manual planer on this help?

n3hihz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Took ur advice and nearly took apart most of the set up so car.
Looks like I'm almost back to square one :-(
gahydyzy.jpg

I have finally determine exactly what was causing all the problems.
Below is the image of the front skinning wood which sticks out anywhere 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch.
gy9y2e5e.jpg

It o ly does this in one corner. The other corner is even.
I can only blame it on the uneven floor, cuz otherwise I have no idea how the hell this happened.
What can I do to make everything even? Would using a manual planer on this help?

I don't see why it wouldn't if its def just that But Donno of you could reach it wait a planer so might be chisels and sand papers or dremel

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Hi very impressive that u did this in a NYC apartment with no tools must have made many frustrating trips to home depot !! Stand looks great I'm not sure it will help but u might wanna put a styro board under tank between stand and tank helps level tank as weight is added not sure it will fix ur problem but something to think about might do the trick!

annanymous

Female Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hi very impressive that u did this in a NYC apartment with no tools must have made many frustrating trips to home depot !! Stand looks great I'm not sure it will help but u might wanna put a styro board under tank between stand and tank helps level tank as weight is added not sure it will fix ur problem but something to think about might do the trick!

Thanks for the advice. Tried it but it didn't the trick. Took most of the moulding off and got me a small manual plane. Best $15 I've spent so far. Took me maybe all of 2 hours to even out all the 2x4s and the skinning wood. Put the tank back on and voila! Ready for stand leveling now.
This is how I started my day...
9uqu3a5a.jpg

And after many breaks in between, ended it with a perfectly level tank (disregard the small inconsistency in my perfect leveling as that is the floor)
ryrytuna.jpg

annanymous

Female Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Btw, my local pet Co decided to now carry designer clown fish! They had snowflakes today. One was soon totally my dream fish, even had the spots too. I like the dalmatian look :)
Anyway, just saying...
bere6epy.jpg

n3hihz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Thanks for the advice. Tried it but it didn't the trick. Took most of the moulding off and got me a small manual plane. Best $15 I've spent so far. Took me maybe all of 2 hours to even out all the 2x4s and the skinning wood. Put the tank back on and voila! Ready for stand leveling now.
This is how I started my day...
9uqu3a5a.jpg

And after many breaks in between, ended it with a perfectly level tank (disregard the small inconsistency in my perfect leveling as that is the floor)
ryrytuna.jpg

Glad it work out buddy

Btw, my local pet Co decided to now carry designer clown fish! They had snowflakes today. One was soon totally my dream fish, even had the spots too. I like the dalmatian look :)
Anyway, just saying...
bere6epy.jpg

Which petco the one on 86? I want a pair

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: