annanymous

Female Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Can anyone chime in on what size sanding paper I need to use between the coats of paint?
I have 60, 150, and 300. I used 60 to try and even out some of the joint unions but it is too coarse for the wood (i already tried :smash:)

well, this brings me up to date and tomorrow will be another day and hopefully more progress to report :snail:

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Can anyone chime in on what size sanding paper I need to use between the coats of paint?
I have 60, 150, and 300. I used 60 to try and even out some of the joint unions but it is too coarse for the wood (i already tried :smash:)

well, this brings me up to date and tomorrow will be another day and hopefully more progress to report :snail:

when i paint i don't sand between coats.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
when you paint you want to sand the wood that is going to get painted first. vacuum and clean the surface completely (if you use a damp rag leave time for the wood to dry). after that use a good paint especially for the inside of the stand such as killz. I would also use a good paint for the exterior because of all the saltwater we spill and drip on it.

But all that is needed to be done is one nice sanding, then cleaned well, Painted with several coats (with a good paintbrush) and sealed (on the outside, killz does a good job at doing that on the inside). if these steps are taken there should be no grainy texture to your paint.

Last edited:

annanymous

Female Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
when you paint you want to sand the wood that is going to get painted first. vacuum and clean the surface completely (if you use a damp rag leave time for the wood to dry). after that use a good paint especially for the inside of the stand such as killz. I would also use a good paint for the exterior because of all the saltwater we spill and drip on it.

But all that is needed to be done is one nice sanding, then cleaned well, Painted with several coats (with a good paintbrush) and sealed (on the outside, killz does a good job at doing that on the inside). if these steps are taken there should be no grainy texture to your paint.

Good info to know, Tony! Thanks. I used killz on the inside. Put it on first but then felt it wasn't smooth enough so Sanded between coats and got the smooth finish I was looking for. Won't make that mistake when I'm painting the outside. Will sand well prior to painting. No sanding in between?
I'm using exterior acrylic paint that is weatherproof. Hope it holds up!

annanymous

Female Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So I go to HD for sole reason to pick up hinges for the stand...buy 2 packs of simple black hinges...come home...attach one door and am super thrilled that I may finally finish the stand and get to the down and dirty part of setting up the tank just to realize that the second pack of hinges I bought looks exactly the same but has different dimentions (no offset!). dont have a recept anymore and already opened the pack.
Damn!
now I have to go back and buy the right one. Cant wait for the stand to be in the upright position, with doors attached and tank standing on top of it.

On a positive note..ehard form cutom king today that my sump may be ready this Saturday! How cool is that!
Cant wait

annanymous

Female Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Much progress to report. Finally finished my stand... Looks pretty Sexy if I say so myself O:)
Picked up my sump from Jeff. Real work of art..! Thanks Jeff, flawless job!!!
Will post more pics once I get home

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1382293572672.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382293572672.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 205
  • uploadfromtaptalk1382293684527.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382293684527.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 205

annanymous

Female Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

My plumbing plan..may need to change a few things.
Do I need to put on anymore unions? ;)

Also, now that the stand is finished I know I need to level it out but my problem is that I have the top of the stand not even. I got a 3/4" foam to put on top to hopefully even out the uneven edges of the wood pieces (attaching a pic but not sure if its clear..its the little ridge that im worried about)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: