Status
Not open for further replies.

jgiordano

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If everything is doing good why add another 250? I just purchased a 150MH and 2X24w HO t5's for a 22 gallon and was told I could pretty much keep anything. Was I told the wrong thing?

Thanks,
Joe

I have a lot of sps and no room at the top to place them anymore. These lights will work well for the acros on the bottom, especialy with the clams on the sandbed. I didnt get the 2nd light in yet but the one I have now is kickin. The colors are coloring back up again and everything seems to enjoy basking in the light.

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
If you want to keep sps and clams i would recommend metal halides and 250 watts to say the least, my preference is 14ks. My one 250 watt 14k hamilton pendant couldnt cover the 2ft radius, it will only cover 1ft. I guess if they made it so the bulb is sideways it would cover the whole tank. everything is doing good but I think the sides are very dark, if there was one on each side it would be perfect. The only reason I went with the hamilton pendant was that it was the cheapest way to go in metal halides and i bought one used for cheap, thought it would do the job. It did half a job. Do your homework and dont rush in to anything. If I can help, LMK.

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I may wind up keeping this 30 gallon tank, but just selling off my fish and inverts.
This small tank can be used as a quarantine tank in the pump/equipment roomor a place to acclimate and let the fish hang out. Then i could put the fish in the main tank at night when lights are out . I hate acclimating on the main floor with the main tank and then the new fish gets pestered. This way all the mess is downstairs.

The plans are with my architect and i have copies, but they are enormous to post on here.
I have been busy with work for the past few months and havent had any free time to chat as usual on here. (Hey, wheres the reef graffiti. What happened:Yikes: ) I also had to work enough so I can have enough $ to fund this project.
Thank you russianmd, I hope you enjoy those corals and my favorite clam.

I had a thread on here about my 1000 gallon im building, I just have to find it and link it to this one or to start a new thread. I should be done with the house in 12 months. The foundation is done and Im waiting for the steel to arrive. Especially the I Beam that spans the length of the tank. Wish me luck all

Last edited:
S

Supreme_Spork

Rating - 99.5%
430   2   0
Wow, I just came across this thread while looking for some information on the Finnex 30g, and there's some serious misinformation here that could be dangerous for new hobbyists.

1. 500W of metal halide lighting on a 30g tank is *insane* and will likely kill everything. 150W is absolutely appropriate for SPS in that size tank.

2. The mix of species in blknyreef's small tank was not a wise choice -- sun corals and flame scallops are exceptionally difficult to keep alive and certainly should not be added after a system has been running for only a month -- and the SPS in that tank were not doing well and also likely added far too soon.

Hopefully new reefers won't read this thread and take any direction. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: