MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
I used IO myself for many years, but always had to add cal, mag to bump the levels, which I bought in bulk. Also like you Joe I dosed strontium, but since I switched to RC my numbers are good when I mix it to a S.G of 1.026 and don't need to dose strontium anymore either. The only con is that it leaves a brown residue in my mixing station , however I don't see any ill effects from it other than it needs to be cleaned often.

JBNY

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used IO myself for many years, but always had to add cal, mag to bump the levels, which I bought in bulk. Also like you Joe I dosed strontium, but since I switched to RC my numbers are good when I mix it to a S.G of 1.026 and don't need to dose strontium anymore either. The only con is that it leaves a brown residue in my mixing station , however I don't see any ill effects from it other than it needs to be cleaned often.

I recently stopped the strontium dosing, my salts must have it in their mix, my last Triton test came back and I was well over the NSW level for strontium.

As for the IO, it looks like I only have to bump up the Ca a little, but IO is so cheap, I don't think it bothers me. BTW the IO has mixed up very clear, I have done a little over 400 gallons at this point and there is no residue in my mixing container.

All I can say is "WOW", you are one amazing guy.

:) Thanks!

JBNY

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a little update for everyone, the assessors went into the tank last week, they were out in the open for about a day and are now living in the rockwork under a ledge. They took a few days to start eating in the main tank. My fish are not overly aggressive but there is a lot of movement during feeding time and I think that was spooking the assessors. Time will tell if they will be out in the open all the time.

A few weekends ago I changed out one of the sumps in the fish room, I had a 55 gallon tank that was originally going to be used for growing macro when I first set up the tank 7 years ago. I never used the tank for it's intended purpose and it really just was extra water volume, which is fine. Unfortunately I had the water line a little bit higher than I should have, and the tank became a salt creep magnet. I was constantly dealing with salt creep weeping water onto the stand below. Plus, the tank must have been drilled wrong because the bulkhead every few years would develop a slow leak that forced me to either reset the bulkhead or put a new one on. So a few months ago I decided to just have a acrylic sump made and swap them out.

So I worked with George over at Geo's reef, who is great. I have been friends with George for years and years, I think dating back to the IMAC days. Basically I wanted a sump that I could put in some filter socks, probes, and a shelf to put some bagged carbon if I wanted to. I also wanted to be able to fully close the top to keep in heat during the winter.

It's been a long time since I had a new tank to play with!
DSCNi_20150510_01.jpg

DSCNi_20150510_00.jpg

So here is the setup as it has been for the last few years.
DSCNi_20150510_02.jpg

After shutting down the system, I unhooked the skimmer from the return and pulled it out.
DSCNi_20150510_03.jpg

Next up, drain the sump.
DSCNi_20150510_05.jpg

Accumulated junk on the walls from years of not cleaning the sides.
DSCNi_20150510_04.jpg

Cleaning off the salt creep that had fallen off the back of the tank all these years.
DSCNi_20150510_06.jpg

Everything all cleaned up and ready to go!
DSCNi_20150510_07.jpg

New sump in! I made a little stand to elevate the sump a little bit off the shelf, I figure I can use the space under to put dosing pumps and things to save some space.
DSCNi_20150510_08.jpg

Back and online!
DSCNi_20150510_09.jpg

Took me just over two hours to do the whole thing myself and no leaks. So far the sump is great, craftsmanship is top notch and does everything I need it to do. I also like that I did the bottom, back, and top in a color rather than clear.

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
youve got to give us tips on how your corals seem to grow so fast and stay colorful. Whats grandmas secret recipe?
can you give us what your keeping all parameters at?
salinity, PO4, Alk, Cal , Mag, temp, water change amount per day or all at once per month.
type of GFO, Type of GAC, for how long you use them, kalk, photo period, do you feed your corals at all and if so what and how many times a month,
type of salt your using and why, you see where im going with this? Also id like to know why your using certain dosing chemicals like example BRS powders or something else.
Im trying to nail down certain issues im having getting my SPS to grow and if i can dissect your system it may shed light on to mine and mabe others. Im trying to see how certain successful SPS systems function and what similarities they have in common. what mistakes we should avoid and what we should or shouldnt use or use less of.

I know im asking a tall order list and ive read your threads on RC which i will compliment you on. You were very informative and spot on. Glad to see we have an SPS fanatic in our backyard. sorry for hijacking but i think its worthwhile and noteworthy.

Last edited:

JBNY

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
youve got to give us tips on how your corals seem to grow so fast and stay colorful. Whats grandmas secret recipe?
can you give us what your keeping all parameters at?
salinity, PO4, Alk, Cal , Mag, temp, water change amount per day or all at once per month.
type of GFO, Type of GAC, for how long you use them, kalk, photo period, do you feed your corals at all and if so what and how many times a month,
type of salt your using and why, you see where im going with this? Also id like to know why your using certain dosing chemicals like example BRS powders or something else.
Im trying to nail down certain issues im having getting my SPS to grow and if i can dissect your system it may shed light on to mine and mabe others. Im trying to see how certain successful SPS systems function and what similarities they have in common. what mistakes we should avoid and what we should or shouldnt use or use less of.

I know im asking a tall order list and ive read your threads on RC which i will compliment you on. You were very informative and spot on. Glad to see we have an SPS fanatic in our backyard. sorry for hijacking but i think its worthwhile and noteworthy.

Thanks for all the kind words. Those RC threads were fun and over the years I have met so many people who told me how they really helped them out, which make me very happy!

As to what is the secret? I have written and spoken about keeping SPS so many times that I am really starting to think people make it harder than it needs to be. I do not mean that in a belittling way in any form. But I think people tend to over think and do more harm than good, with every intention of doing the right thing. About 6 months ago when I restarted this tank I was having the worse problem getting things back on track. I mean I was really tinkering with the tank like mad and still I was having SPS problems, RTN, STN and bleaching like I was a newbie. My wife finally stopped me and asked what would I tell someone if they came to me with these problems. I thought about it a little while and I was like, stop fiddling with the tank, pick a light and stick with it, get the tank stable, and start to do water changes like a madman. two weeks and 600 gallons of water changes later the tank looked much better.

But anyway, on to your question. Here is what I keep my parameters at. The big three, alk 8-9 (currently at 7.7) Ca 450 Mg 1400. My SG normally is at 1.024 ~34ppt. Temp is 76F in the winter and between 79-82.5 in the summer. Those numbers have been consistent throughout the years, so if there is any secret it is in there.

PO4 below 0.05 (I have actually never measured it that high), normally 0.01-0.02. No4 I am now trying to keep it around 3-5ppm.

Here is my schedule for everything I do to my tank.
Daily
Feed fish 2x a day, 3 cubes mysis and a few pinches of pellets each time.
Add KNO3 to the tank before I go to bed. Keeps the NO3 at 3-5ppm

Ca/alk/mg maintained by a calcium reactor and supplemented with kalk (currently ca demands are not high enough to use kalk).

Photoperiod:
T5 13 hours 7:30 AM to 8:30 PM
MH 8 hours 12:00 PM to 8:00 PM

I run reefbrite royal blue LED with the MH. and at 1% for nighttime from 8:30-9:15 PM

I do not feed the corals. I have tried to feed them everything from live rotifers (nightly for over two years), to various mixes and found it made no difference in growth or coloration.

Weekly
Add Kent's Strontium (currently stopped, triton test showed high levels of Sr, will pick up later)
I add Salifert Amino Acids to the tank once a week (currently not doing this, I will pick it up again later).

Every other week.
10% water change with IO. ~44 gallons using one bag in a brute container, heat to 70d, add 3 teaspoons of Kent turbo calcium to raise ca to 450. add 10ml of muriatic acid 12 hours before use to drop the alk to about 8 dKH.

During water change siphon detritus out of sumps and frag tank.

Every other week (on opposite week of water change)
Clean skimmer.
Remove chaeto from ARID algae reactor (if needed).
Add Special Blend 200ml

Monthly
Run GAC in bag in the sump (not in a reactor), I run it for about a week and take it out. Longer if I forget. Sometimes I don't run it for a while if it doesn't need it or I forget.

Every 10 months change the T5 bulbs

Every 12 months change the MH

That is really it. Things I did not mention are flow, always have a ton of it. I currently have two Gyre X150 that I think are fantastic for getting flow into the tank. And the last thing I tell people all the time is keep your hands out of the tank. Stop moving things around and touching corals, also if you want tings to grow, stop fagging corals all the time.

Any other questions, please let me know!

JBNY

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, one thing on nutrients. I personally believe you can keep the tank with super low nutrients as well as elevated and still do well. This time I am trying to have a little nitrates in the tank, but last time I was flat out using GFO and Carbon dosing heavily and I had both strong growth and good coloration. I am now trying to see how coloration is with Nitrates in the 3-5ppm range as opposed to undetectable which is what I had in the past.

JBNY

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big fan of blowing off the rocks. I do it every few weeks when I remember. The sand I don't do anything to really, it gets disturbed with the wrasse I have and once in a while when I am cleaning snail shells and stuff off the sand bed but that's really it.

cono

Rating - 94.1%
32   2   0
Hey Joe just finished reading whole thread and am drooling over the whole setup and very jealous of what you have ...meaning I have tried everything to try to somewhat come to what you have and I keep failing

JBNY

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Joe just finished reading whole thread and am drooling over the whole setup and very jealous of what you have ...meaning I have tried everything to try to somewhat come to what you have and I keep failing

Thanks, Never give up, never surrender! I think it helps if you have a little OCD too! :splitspin

JBNY

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put this in the other month and forgot to post it. My old regulator was getting ready to be replaced so I looked into building one instead of buying a new one. I bought the parts off ebay and put together myself. pretty slick!

File%20Feb%2025,%209%2042%2058%20AM.jpg

File%20Feb%2026,%2010%2001%2044%20AM.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: