r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Alright here's another drop into the ocean of biocube builds! I know everyone is excited ;)

I'm taking it slow so I apologize in advance if it seems there's a long pause in between posts. It's not my first build so I'm planning carefully because I've many lessons learned from past builds.

This time I'm building a rock wall to attach to the back wall, it's something I've wanted to do for a while so I hope it turns out!

Today I got the rubble I needed and other supplies.

6lbs rubble rock
Pond foam
Egg crate
Aquarium silicone

7e5c9b91af369835d3c29169eb6ad860.jpg

I arranged all the rubble how I wanted

015caba6d86a33a63d72b1b0c9190856.jpg

Then I used the pond foam and sprinkled sand over the foam.

e2c149359405896cbe6ecc0c473b9068.jpg

I'm in the middle of trimming the foam and then I'll use CA glue to add sand over the foam again.

-R_jay

Nandez13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
246   0   0
A wall of corals sounds like a cool idea. I thought about it once but was unsure of how to get light to corals near the bottom. I figured the corals on top would eventually shade the corals on the bottom. What types of corals do you plan on attaching back there?

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So far I don't plan to cover the entire wall with coral as you said I need to plan carefully what goes where. I put in a couple small outcropping rock shelves where I'll put an acro or two, then some various monti caps (I'll need to monitor growth) and then I'll see if I want some softies (zoas / mushrooms) on it where light is filtered.

I'm planning on getting a rapidLED dimmable kit so should have good coverage on the entire tank. I'm excited about my main rock structure. I'm going with minimalist approach.

-R_jay

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Happy New Years! Today I finished trimming the foam and glueing sand over the exposed foam. Then I used aquarium silicone to attach it all to the wall of the biocube. Sorry for the blue lighting, I'm saving up for a rapidLED Aurora dimmable retrofit kit. Also this tank was bought used and I haven't cleaned the glass yet.
b1f766c816b8c1e616d2cfbf1812216e.jpg

I made my main rock structure too, I'll add one piece of live rock to seed, which will also serve as my only other rock in the tank.
05644c3928546294e2d0a026394f6f89.jpg

-R_jay

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
4bea6ddb189587e9ff414a706c01bd93.jpg

So yesterday I took advantage of the warm weather and filled my tank with... ocean water. Yup. Go ahead, freak out and tell me how many contaminants I put in there and all that. I filtered it with a filter sock and ran it through carbon. I didn't use a UV sterilizer. I figure since I'm a five minute walk from the beach I want to try it out. I've read threads from people debating the use of actual sea water and it sounded good enough to me. Im planning on running the tank as is for a couple months then I'll add LR to seed it (not from the ocean ;) but hopefully from a fellow reefer). I'm still saving up for my lights so no hurry. Plus it'll give me time to see how the water goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks all! I'm really excited for when it's covered in coralline (although it'll be quite a while before that happens). I'm just thrilled to have a tank again. Such a fun hobby

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ok so for the first time in this hobby I ordered an RO-DI filter off Amazon. Aquatic-life RO buddy 4 stage. Pretty excited to not take my jugs to get filled at wherever people in NY get ro water (I just went to Kroger and Walmart in Houston).

Also ordered a cheap submersible led light for my "refugium" (the middle chamber) may soon be petitioning SI members for chaeto or heading to the new aquarium store on Bay Street.
bf87f967c8a1f4bd71ba196d939581bc.jpg
water cleared up from stirring up the sand. Love my little reef ledge

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
b25e977683cd24b908755c698d044972.jpg

This was my 14g tank I kept on my desk at work when I lived in Houston. Had to pass it on to a coworker. *tear :*{ fortunately he occasionally sends me photos of it. It's doing well

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So I've been saving up my money, selling other hobby gear and making pens (yes I make and sell pens) all to buy an LED upgrade and controller.

I originally wanted a RapidLED Aurora retrofit kit and then I'd get an Apex controller to go with it. Today I found the Nano box retro kit. I'm 80% sold on it... actually I just looked at it again and I'm 100% sold. It even comes with a mini bluefish wireless controller! Uh yeah, dunzo.

Anyway I can still get a controller but now I am fine with a simple controller just to control pumps, temp, etc.

Anyone out there using NanoBox fixtures?

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I had my finger ready to click and buy the light yesterday (payday) but I realized there are other things I still need before I need a fancy light. Plus it'll be a while till I add anything that needs the light. So instead I bought a new water test kit, some bearings for my mp10, a few other odds and ends plus ordered a CUC from reefcleaners. So that's where I am for now

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: