duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Marrone- no ammonia left in the tank. When I started the tank the test kits read 0 nitrites. 4 weeks later ammonia was gone and nitrites rose. 2 weeks later I?m at 2.0. I got the kits new from Marinedepot. I did put on my phosban and Marc Levenson said that might be the reason my nitrites haven?t fallen.
I?m not sure about the lights yet. Either upgrade my AI or save for radions

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Unless the phosban is giving you a false reading on nitrites it shouldn't be keeping up the nitrites. Unless the phosban is producing a lot of ammonia, which your system can't fully convert yet, you should see it starting to drop. Do you have any nitrates yet? If you do that would be a sign that you're moving a long with the nitrites part of the cycle.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Been like this for almost 2 weeks. Won?t drop

Attachments

• 2B09B425-9272-4FD0-948F-87A4A4249E66.jpg
    2B09B425-9272-4FD0-948F-87A4A4249E66.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 372

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Generally it should be, as you will start to grow that bacteria at the same time the ammonia bacteria is growing. Do you have an ammonia source currently in the tank? Also, have you seen the Nitrates go up?

Not sure if it's the light or the angle of the picture but from looking at the 2 pictures it seems that they 2nd one is lighter than the 1st, which would mean the nitrites are coming down.

attachment.php
attachment.php

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I would try a new test kit, as you should have seen it dropping at this point. What are you Nitrates and are they going up?

What you can do it add some more ammonia, or a source of ammonia, and see if your nitrites go up or stay the same. Your nitrates should increase too.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: