Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Hi Domboski
So its eating live sponge...do you have images of that?

What sponge species is it your feeding to the Ostracion whitleyi?

Do you have pictures of that sponge?

Is it a sponge already existing in the tank or do you bring it in?

ostracitoxin is the poison...some more about it...

It is a Boxfish of the Genus Ostracion

Cheers
Pedro Nuno;-)

Hi Pedro,

I do not have images of the fish eating the sponge since I have been feeding it mostly cocktail shrimp now. I do have a half eaten sponge I can take pics of though :) The sponge is one I had already that was collected locally. It is a red sponge labeled Red Beard Sponge in your Moorish Idol article (great read if anyone has missed it).

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Pedro,

I do not have images of the fish eating the sponge since I have been feeding it mostly cocktail shrimp now. I do have a half eaten sponge I can take pics of though :) The sponge is one I had already that was collected locally. It is a red sponge labeled Red Beard Sponge in your Moorish Idol article (great read if anyone has missed it).

Hi Domboski ;-)

So Red Beard Sponge - Microciona prolifera - possible food for boxfishes, and available locally at Long Island floating piers. I look forward to see the photographs of the sponge and the box fish eating it.
Ostracitoxin still remains a problem (if it is released)

Cheers
Pedro Nuno ;-)

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Thanks everyone :)

So far the boxfish is doing great. He is happily eating medium sized pellets. He still is carrying some parasites which I'm hoping he fights off on his own. If they are still there by Friday I may dose my tank with prazipro. Hopefully it does not affect any of my corals :eek:

lhcorals

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super sweet tank. I love the fact that you are going against all odds. Keep up the good work. Wish i live alot closer so i could see in person. :spin::wow:

michael stern

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
112   1   0
New addition. This is a very difficult fish to keep. At the moment, the only food it ill eat is live sponge. Hopefully I can work some magic and get it on other foods. This fish has also been known to nuke entire systems when stressed.

Picture3527.jpg

Dom,

Here's mine.
Eating frozen mysis and krill, and seems quite happy in his new tank.
Colors are truly breathtaking. too bad I don't have the nerve to put him in my display.

Attachments

• fish 007.JPG
    fish 007.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 241

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Dom,

Here's mine.
Eating frozen mysis and krill, and seems quite happy in his new tank.
Colors are truly breathtaking. too bad I don't have the nerve to put him in my display.

The colors are awesome on that fish. If I had the room I would have taken it. Your picture does it no justice (no offense :)).

Mine takes pretty much anything now including mysis. The female is still not eating anything though :(

JHOV2324

Love da Reef-er
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
New addition. This is a very difficult fish to keep. At the moment, the only food it ill eat is live sponge. Hopefully I can work some magic and get it on other foods. This fish has also been known to nuke entire systems when stressed.

Picture3527.jpg

From now on you are known in the reef world as "el Majico"......

Awesome Fish!!!!!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: