A

Anonymous

Good for you JP! Looking forward to drooling here in the near future. I've used the Koralia PH before, and had good service from them.

A

Anonymous

budhaboy":3oyr53p0 said:
okay what does anyone think of the Koralia power heads? esp. the 750/hour ones? two for in tank circulation? these are able to be used on wave timers...

http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-Koralia-Evo ... 617&sr=8-1

I'd get a Tunze Nano steam if I were you. I've been through a few Korlia's. I finally got a nano stream and haven't had any problems at all. The Korlia's always seemed to make noise.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Louey":24rp0mb0 said:
budhaboy":24rp0mb0 said:
okay what does anyone think of the Koralia power heads? esp. the 750/hour ones? two for in tank circulation? these are able to be used on wave timers...

http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-Koralia-Evo ... 617&sr=8-1

I'd get a Tunze Nano steam if I were you. I've been through a few Korlia's. I finally got a nano stream and haven't had any problems at all. The Korlia's always seemed to make noise.

Louey

Money is a bit tight right now(getting married in May), and I can get a pair of Koralia, @ 750gph each, for $22/each, vs the Tunze Turbelle Nanostream for $66, and from what I see, its not controllable? the Koralias I posted a link for are.

I'm open to any suggestions, and I'd love to have Tunze equipment of Vortech setup, but I'm limited on the funds I have/can spend - I got tired of being jinxed and having problems, so on this endeavor, everything that goes in or contains water, is going to be NEW(I've had problems with suspected chemical use; i.e., copper, with equipment I've bought used in the past)

A

Anonymous

I have not heard good things about the Koralia power heads. If it were me I would save for the better equiptment and do it right the first time. I got bit bad on my first tank and ended up swaping out everything, but the tank and stand because I was in a rush to get it set up and bought lower quality less expensive equiptment.

A

Anonymous

MarineDepot has the Vortech MP10 for $220 - description is spotty at best - is that WITH the controller? or is that just the PH? so confusing...same thing with the Tunze, do I have to buy the controller seperately? and what if I want two(one on each side- either Vortech or Tunze) - is that a different controller?

A

Anonymous

The 10ES comes with a controler. If you want to do multiple that can work together you need to get the 10w (wireless) units. For the tunze you can control 4 units on the controler that you have to buy seperatly. You can do 8 but you would need four splitters and they would run as four pairs.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used both nano streams, and vortechs as well as koralias. The Koralias never failed, but did not spread water out into a wide even flow like the others. The flow came out heavy in two areas and not even. The tunze and vortechs both spread flow wide and even. The tunze are the most quiet of the bunch, but add their heat to the water. The other advantage of tunze if the fact you can aim them anywhere. Of the three the vortechs have the least directable flow. The tunze though have the wires in the tank and IMO are more ugly then the vortechs. I ended up with all vortechs, since the aim-able flow isnt a big deal for me and I appreciate the low heat transfer and clean look in the tank.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like Vortech it is - I spoke with She Who Must Be Obeyed, told her the price...she begrudgingly said okay as she left the room shaking her head...at least I think thats what she said. Yeah, had to be. yeah, she said okay.

now, about skimmers...

this Recirculating skimmer caught my eye...made by Current USA Fission
[rimg]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41PmheY4JzL._SS500_.jpg[/rimg]

rated to 150 gallons(I always prefer to over skim). So far, this is the most inexpensive choice, although I AM considering others, like maybe Bubble Magus...Opinions?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay, so I pick up the tank and stand on Tuesday.
now I've mentioned the above Fission skimmer, as one possibility, other choices would be:
Reef octopus (100 gal)
Vertex (80gal)
Bubble Magus, either NAC6(standard tube style, 150 gal)
or the NAC7(cone style, 150 gal)

all are within my self imposed $200 range.

foot print isnt so much an issue, because I'm pretty much building the sump around the skimmer, so, any preferences?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AFAIK, they're all decent skimmers. I went for the Reef Octopus, but have a friend who swears by the Bubble Magus. The Vertex is supposed to be very quiet.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank is in its new home!
[rimg]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i310/budhaboy/newtank.jpg[/rimg]

dunno if it was intentional or not, but the LFS upgraded me- that isnt the barebones AGA tank - its a company called Deep Blue Professional - black silicon seals, height adjustable overflow...and the stand...over built, finished inside and out, table top support instead of the basic edge support...I think the stand would support 3x the load its "built" for(3/8 inch panels, with internal supports). Only problem, despite 3 doors(two in front, one on the side) is I'll have to partially dismantle the stand to put the sump in(its built using cams and locks).

still deciding on the skimmer...and do I use a Vortech MP10 maxed out, and maybe add a second later, or do I just use one MP40, and dial it back a bit?

I'll prolly get the lumber I need for the canopy this weekend. going with 2x250 MHs, havent decided on VHO or NO actinic supplements yet.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Schweet lookin' tank! I like it 8) . As far as the skimmer why buy two, just go big and tune it down.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawdawg":2uc128v8 said:
Schweet lookin' tank! I like it 8) . As far as the skimmer why buy two, just go big and tune it down.

actually, the Vortechs are circulation pumps...and I think I'll prolly just do a single MP40, rather than 2 MP10s...not much difference in price, but it'll be one less electrical circuit.

Tank also came with a durso pipe, and although the box was labeled for 75 gallon/24" deep tanks, it appeears to be about 6" too short...time for a little custom modification.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got the sump - 20 gallon long(I have about 2.5" space length wise, and about 1.5" width wise left in the stand), need to cut the acrylic sheets I have for the baffles and silicon them in still(had to do some cosmetic repairs to the house in prep for the sisters in law arrivals this weekend) and then I have to deconstruct the stand a bit- I need to pop the top off the get the sump inside the stand.

next up, building the canopy to house the 2x250 watt MHs and actinic supplements - in clearing out some junk, I found an old computer fan regulator(monitors temps inside a compter tower and controls up to 4 seperate fan speeds)I wonder if I can set that up for cooling control...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're really motoring now! Won't be long before it's wet. 8)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Escaped Ape":jvh6odl3 said:
You're really motoring now! Won't be long before it's wet. 8)
I imagine it wont be till after the wedding(May 28th) to be honest - I still have to get a skimmer and circulation system...that'll be done via a Vortech MP40, and I still havent made a decision on the skimmer yet(I've been perusing classifieds for these two items...still nervous about my self perceived jinx with used equipment, but dammit, I want my reef tank running already! I just dont want to use credit to get it there.)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay, so for circulation, a MP40W.
As for a Skimmer, I'll be ordering either a Reef Octopus MWB-110, or 150(only $20 difference, and from 100 gallons to 150)...

and now....lights. I've been doing a good deal of reading this past weekend, and I think I have it planned out - gonna go with a DIY kit from Rapid LED(48 led set - 24 RB, 24 CW, equal to 2x250 watt MH), and am seriously considering delving into the world of hobby electronics, and building a LED Controller from scratch...well not really scratch, but from the designs a RC member created(Typhon controller) via Arduino circuit board and C/C++ programing - 4 channel controller, featuring on/off, light level, duration, fade, and also moon light cycles(I think he's also working on storm/lightning sequences too). Programing is open source of course.

I decided going this route because after searching, there isnt any strictly LED only controller - all the commercial ones available also control pumps, temp, and various other systems -garnering prices of $260 and up, I have no need for water pump control as the Vortech has its own, and with going LED, its not likely I'll be needing a chiller, so no need for temp control, etc. If neccesary down the line, I can easily add on to the controller and expand the sketch(programing) to accomodate what ever I decide to add on. Initial cost for the controller looks to be around $40-50 bucks total, although I may have to buy a 10 lot minimum of premade circuit boards, so if anyone else is interested, I can provide links to software, parts list, etc.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
budhaboy":3uv24wg7 said:
gonna go with a DIY kit from Rapid LED(48 led set - 24 RB, 24 CW, equal to 2x250 watt MH)

Just a cautionary question here... equal to 2x250w MH in what way? PAR? Lumens? Something else?

There are a lot of equivalency claims out there where LEDs are concerned, and a lot of them seem to be hype more than substance. Don't get me wrong, I use LEDs, I love LEDs, I just want to be sure the kit you're looking at is really going to give you the performance you're expecting from it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: