A

Anonymous

I scratched the idea of building a sump out of a 20 long, my Wife said "pick one and I'll order it"... so I did- eshopps RS-200 sump - 30"x12"x16" - lots of room for a 'fugium later,and/or extra rubble for filtration...pretty much fills my cabinet(leaves me with 2" front to back, and 1" side to side.

[rimg]http://eshopps.com/images/products/rs200.png[/rimg]

A

Anonymous

Looks like a good pick. I went for a simple glass aquarium for my sump, which is great in terms of flexibility/moving stuff around, but not good at getting rid of micro bubbles (which I tend to only notice when I take photos of coral though). I'd go for something like that next time.

A

Anonymous

The Escaped Ape":2lstwrum said:
Looks like a good pick. I went for a simple glass aquarium for my sump, which is great in terms of flexibility/moving stuff around, but not good at getting rid of micro bubbles (which I tend to only notice when I take photos of coral though). I'd go for something like that next time.
the major reason behind nixing the 20 gallon long tank as a sump is the Reef Octopus Skimmer I bought needs between 6 and 10 inches of water depth to operate properly - the 20 long is a rather short tank to begin with, and I was kinda leary about overflows should the power, AND my UPS backup fail - this sump is 16 inches tall, so I'll have plenty of room in it to accomodate any excess backflow should all power fail...Bernie was all for flood prevention, even with the tank located in the den and there isnt any living space or storage(no basement under the Den) space to get rained on.

A

Anonymous

finaly new pics!
The canopy, grain really isnt as visble as it is in the pic, it has three coats of sanding sealer and 3 coats semi gloss black
[rimg]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i310/budhaboy/DSCI0029.jpg[/rimg]
[rimg]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i310/budhaboy/DSCI0030.jpg[/rimg]

I'm waiting for the sump my Ultra-cool Wife ordered for me to arrive, in the meantime, the skimmer is sitting in the display...and yes there's a green monkey in the tank as well...

[rimg]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i310/budhaboy/DSCI0032.jpg[/rimg]
still cant get used to the size of that skimmer, if that monster dont keep the tank clean, nothin will

A

Anonymous

finally got a break in the "Honey Do List" and managed to get the LEDs attached to the heat sinks with the thermal epoxy - the DIY kits from rapidled.com are definitely the shizzle - the LEDs come in sheets, kinda like parts from a plastic model car...comes with enough cut and tinned wire to solder it all together, and a battery tester to double check the LED light properly.
the Kit I got was the Dimmable 48 LED, with two 6x9 aluminum heat sinks.
a shot with the LEDs epoxy'd in place, still need to attach the 60 degree lenses to all the LEDS, as well as soldering them all up
[rimg]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i310/budhaboy/DSCI0027.jpg[/rimg]

I also mentioned previously that I went with the Reef Angel Controller - So far I am impressed, its well built, and there is a large community that has developed code for it, and its fully expandable, and best of all, affordable.
[rimg]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i310/budhaboy/DSCI0033.jpg[/rimg]
on top of the base kit(controller, 8 port power strip, all individually switchable, temp probe, pH probe, 2 Float switches, usb cables), I also got the dimmable module(the base kit has only two dimmable 0-10volt ports and I needed 6), 2 extra temp probes(water, light, and room temp), and 2 moonlight pods - all for $350
people have coded the controller to be monitored via smart phone, website, and banner

A

Anonymous

Looking good JP! You're on the verge of getting started by the looks of things! 8)

A

Anonymous

Looking good, JP. I really like that sump.

I like your LED's too. I'm going to google that controller.

A

Anonymous

Louey":3uiml4k7 said:
Looking good, JP. I really like that sump.

I like your LED's too. I'm going to google that controller.
tank you tank you...The sump is rated to 200 gallon tanks, mine is a 65, I just wanted the extra room, and the knowledge that if power quit, there is no possible way I'll get an overflow and come home to wet carpeting...not to mention, my skimmer is rated to 150 gallons, I needed the extra depth(as compared to my initial plan of using a 20 long for the sump)

The LEDs are mounted to Aluminum Heat sinks - the back side is one inch tall cooling fins, and each will have a pair of 40mm fans mounted to the sides to push air along them to aid in cooling...
I did have a slight set back - when I ordered the LEDs, I had intended to use the RKL controller, which Chris talked me out of, based on his personal experience - I ordered analog Meanwell Drivers with the LED kit - the ReefAngel controller requires PWM(Pulse Width Modulation) Drivers to simulate sunrise/sunset/moon phase - I contacted rapidled on the subject of exchanging them, but havent heard back yet...

I still need to get a return pump, pretty sure it'll be in the 500gph range, unless someone convinces me to go with 700gph and throttle back a bit, and set it all up in its final location(I'm switching the desk and tanks locations to improve viewing space in the room, and to distribute the weight in the room more evenly- there is a 30 gallon tank directly across from where the tank sits now)

oh yeah - I had mentioned Bernie gettin the bug and setting her up with a little 2.5 gallon tank with some guppies...she asked if she can help pick out corals and fish for my reef, so I gave her my book of corals(cant remember actual title) by Julian Sprung to read up on, and she's now wanting me to build her a Seahorse tank, and increase the size of the fish only(30 gallon, prolly replace it with another 65 gallon or a 72 bowfront) so she can get more fish shes interested in

A

Anonymous

last of the equipment has been ordered, got my replacement Drivers for the LED(had to change from Analog Dimmers to Pulse Width Modulation due to changing to the Reef Angel controller from the RKL)...

TIME FOR THE FINAL BUILD!

it still may be a bit longer till the rock gets ordered tho- anniversary and the Wife's Birthday and a family member's wedding are coming up. - on that note, what type of live rock? which region has the best these days?

A

Anonymous

Drivers have been calibrated for their maximum out puts, got a project box to house them, mounting brackets are installed on the heat sinks - time to finish the wiring and install.

I still need to figure out how to mount the RA controller- its an odd shape, I'm thinking of heating up a sheet of acryllic and making a holster type affair as the controller has cables/wires coming out of both the top and bottom...and I still need to decide which vendor to order Live rock from.
May 7th update:
LED lighting is 85% installed - I need to finish soldering a few wire joints(I'm adding plug fittings for quick disconnect from the Drivers) and install the optics...this coming weekend I hope will be the water test to check for leaks

A

Anonymous

after numerous delays(all family's fault!) the ReefAngel programming is complete, minus a few tweaks(I want to enlarge the readout display but the has nothing to do with the operation of the controller)
sakes alive those LEDs are BRIGHT! I havent even put on the optics yet, not entirely sure I need them yet to be honest...I'll find out this weekend tho...

The Build is begining! Water test commences on Saturday, after the first cup of coffee!

A

Anonymous

WOOT!
44lbs of rock and 40 lbs of sand have been ordered! Rock arrives Friday, the sand, between now and next week.

A

Anonymous

FINALLY!

rock is in the tank(54 lbs) as is the 40lbs Aragalive reef sand.
lights are at on a parabolic schedule(like real sunlight - brightest at high noon) and are at 94% with no optics in the photo - dunno if I'll install the optics yet, as its pretty damned bright as is. - with out the rock, the light looked to be close to 12K, not quite 14K, damned rock looks so pale right now...
[rimg]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i310/budhaboy/65gallon.jpg[/rimg]

the rock I ordered wasnt the greatest - looks more like what I'd call base rock and not Premium, but they say it'll color up in the following weeks to come(well duh) - rock had a not so rotten smell, a few sponges here an there...I also added two man made "Reef Rock" pieces(14lbs) for an added bacterial boost, and coraline algae boost as well - there are pale hints of green and orange coraline on the ordered rock, and the ReefRock is abundant in purples and reds. No obvious signs of hitchhikers, or coral fragments, kinda doubtful there will be any to be honest.

The pic is kinda decieving - its not a wall of rock, its kinda two islands with a connecting bridge - island on the left is leaned against the overflow, but the island on the right is...well an island and not leaned against the backglass.

I was looking the other night for a decent background, most werent sized properly for this tank(WTF? its not custom tank) but I came across this poster thats available as a vinyl cling of sorts, and I got the house wide nod of approval - I'll order it this week

[rimg]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i310/budhaboy/U-352mooreheadnc.jpg[/rimg]
its U-352, sunk 25 miles of the coast of Moorehead, NC

not that you'll be able to see much of it, but its better than the red brick in the background now

A

Anonymous

how is it that salt water can find its way out of a tank, but fresh water, doesnt?

Initial water test, no leaks, freshwater left sitting for a week and nary a drop.

Add salt, and I find both bulkheads have a small drip - not a huge problem since both are slow enough to cling to the tubing and end back up in the sump, and not out in the stand or anything, but what the hell?

a set of channel locks, and an oompth(oompth=a small fraction of a turn, barely noticable) and the drips are gone.

A

Anonymous

over this past weekend, I went 'round to some of the local LFSs and picked up some rubble and live sand samples to get some critters added to the tank - Diatoms are now forming

First water change is planned for this weekend, hopefull soon I can start adding the cleanup crew

A

Anonymous

minor diatom outbreak, then the very beginings of a hair algae outbreak - added 8 turbos, 4 nassarius(sp?), 5 margarita snails, 3 hermits, and a lawnmower blenny - in two days time, 80% of all signs of hair algae completely gone. I need to find me a sea cuc for substrate cleanup still tho. pics to come later.

A

Anonymous

bought our first corals yesterday!
Bernie picked out some zoas
[rimg]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i310/budhaboy/120708_0003.jpg[/rimg]
and we also picked up a Caulastrea frag and a Duncamopsammia frag, along with a large feather duster and a Blue Linkia, which of course proceeded to squeeze itself through a hole in a rock and disappear completely.
[rimg]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i310/budhaboy/120708_0005.jpg[/rimg]
[rimg]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i310/budhaboy/120708_0004.jpg[/rimg]
full tank shot, you can see the Duncan in the lower right corner(its not fully expanded yet), I had both the trumpet(Caulastrea) and the Duncan's frag plugs wedged into the rock, but I guess the turbo snails didnt like them there, as both were knocked to the sand this morning - I need to get some epoxy to repostion them later.
[rimg]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i310/budhaboy/120708_0007.jpg[/rimg]

my camera decided to self destruct a couple weeks ago, so I'm making due with my Pantech Burst cell phone -takes a pretty good pic for a phone...
some sponges have made a come back, and a few weeks ago I emptied a pouch of tigger pods into the tank, and their population has exploded - little white-ish looking bugs are all over the glass after sunset...

A

Anonymous

my first pest- the Zoas have an aptasia sprouting out from underneath the cluster...need to get me some Kalk for that little bastard before he starts to multiply...

I also bought my first SPS frags - unnamed Acropora and Montipora frags - both are reddishbrown in color thus far, with bright green polyps...pics to come later...I really need to get a new camera, taking pics with my cellphone just isnt cutting the mustard.

oh we also got a small Golden Rabbitfish(Bernie wants fish to look at)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: