A

Anonymous

cjdevito":13d7w20j said:
budhaboy":13d7w20j said:
gonna go with a DIY kit from Rapid LED(48 led set - 24 RB, 24 CW, equal to 2x250 watt MH)

Just a cautionary question here... equal to 2x250w MH in what way? PAR? Lumens? Something else?

There are a lot of equivalency claims out there where LEDs are concerned, and a lot of them seem to be hype more than substance. Don't get me wrong, I use LEDs, I love LEDs, I just want to be sure the kit you're looking at is really going to give you the performance you're expecting from it.
I've been reading through all the LED threads on RC(several of which have gone into the hundreds of pages in length), and from the data I've seen(cant view stuff hosted on pb from work, I can get the graphs later), the best LED are the Cree XP/XR series, which Rapid LED sells in their kits - most have recommended 48 LEDs minimum for tanks ranging from 75-90 gallon tanks - especially with Optics(both 40 and 60 degree)- I have a 65, and plan on dialing back a bit on power(its easier on the dimmable drivers AND the LEDs to not run at full power) - White LEDs will have 40 degree, and Royal Blue will have 60 degree optics.

A

Anonymous

Okay. Just by practical comparison, let me say my 20 gallon with the elos fixture has 24 3w crees (72w total, 15 CW, 9 RB, no optics) and I mostly think of it as moderate lighting. Based on how corals react to being kept under it I'd roughly call it about the same as a 150w halide. See how the 48 LED setup you have in mind does, but at least since it's kits you can always add more later if you feel the need.

A

Anonymous

cjdevito":1uqqz2zm said:
Okay. Just by practical comparison, let me say my 20 gallon with the elos fixture has 24 3w crees (72w total, 15 CW, 9 RB, no optics) and I mostly think of it as moderate lighting. Based on how corals react to being kept under it I'd roughly call it about the same as a 150w halide. See how the 48 LED setup you have in mind does, but at least since it's kits you can always add more later if you feel the need.
from everything I've read(and seen via pics of multiple members tanks), the optics, esp. 40 and 60 degree optics, really make all the difference - most people have asked me why I'm putting so many LEDs over my tank - they think its a bit overkill(one person has 36 over a 75 gallon, mostly LPS and SPS, and they described having to run at about 70% power as the light was just too intense for their corals)

A

Anonymous

budhaboy":3rd9doyl said:
from everything I've read(and seen via pics of multiple members tanks), the optics, esp. 40 and 60 degree optics, really make all the difference - most people have asked me why I'm putting so many LEDs over my tank - they think its a bit overkill(one person has 36 over a 75 gallon, mostly LPS and SPS, and they described having to run at about 70% power as the light was just too intense for their corals)

Yeah... I consider that a crock of bullshit, personally :)

Years ago I ran a 65 gallon SPS tank with 720w of light and really wishing at the time I'd used 400w halides and gone for 1020w instead. LEDs are great and I'm sold on them, but I don't remotely believe they outperform other lighting systems by over a 10-to-1 magnitude.

You'll be in a position to judge for yourself, though, and like I said, the kits give you a degree of flexibility in fine tuning things down the road if you need to.

A

Anonymous

*shrug* only one way to find out, right? I've been reading everything I can on LEDs,(on RC, that amounts to hundreds of pages of threads- many of them written by veteran reefers there) and honestly, from the pics of their tanks, I think I've come to the correct numbers for what I want(mixed reef, a few SPS, mostly easy ones, and a clam or two - you know, just a nice balanced ecosystem that I can get lost staring at), but if I'm wrong, I can always add more LEDs - the Arduino based controller is expandable(other than maybe monitoring Temp, lighting will be its sole function), so it wouldnt be difficult to add them - same thing with my decision to go with a single MP40wES - if its not enough flow, I can add another down the line.

Aquascape wise, I intend on going with islands rather than the old standard wall o rock(I really like yours, Toms and many other Japanese Island style aquascapes - imitation is the best flattery, right?)

A

Anonymous

budhaboy":271quimo said:
*shrug* only one way to find out, right? ...but if I'm wrong, I can always add more LEDs

Yep and yep, that's exactly what I mean.

Aquascape wise, I intend on going with islands rather than the old standard wall o rock(I really like yours, Toms and many other Japanese Island style aquascapes - imitation is the best flattery, right?)

Cool. Always good to see someone else going away from the wall of rock. Have you checked out the minimalist tank thread on RC? Lot of good eye candy there.

A

Anonymous

k, Reef octopus NWB-150 has been ordered, and I'm presently testing my UPS that I aquired a couple years back, and kept for just this project - APC Smart UPS 1400xL(1050 Watt unit) - according to the documentation, it can supply 50 watts of power for a period of 9 hours, 22 minutes, should my power go out.

next up is ordering the parts for the LED controller, along with the printed circuit board.

*Edit* the matter over lack of product(skimmer) has been resolved.

A

Anonymous

Skimmer arrived last night. Bernie first comment was "what the hell is that monster?" she seems rather dubious that its gonna fit inside the stand...(by all rights, it is a helluva lot bigger than I had expected)

Time to build the sump...suggestions as to baffle placement are more than welcome(this is my first personal tank to have a sump).

oh yeah, the PCBs(circuit boards) are approved and are getting printed- I expect them to arrive sometime next week - I'll be ordering the LED kit soon, along with the Vortech MP40

A

Anonymous

after setback after setback, and all manner of crap breaking, getting repaired and repeatedly having to use my "reef tank money" for said repairs n whatnot, I have finally ordered my light kit from rapidled.com - pair of heatsinks and 48 Cree LEDs with dimmable Drivers. In another week, I'll be ordering the controller, and another week or so after that, the Vortech MP40. I'm gonna have this tank up and running soon, even if it kills me.

A

Anonymous

Stick in there JP. It's going to be all the sweeter once you get it wet.

A

Anonymous

The Escaped Ape":1ugji9ox said:
I'm having trouble being patient.

Heh. Bernie caught the bug- she now has a 2.5 gallon bowfront on her dresser filled with Lyretail Guppies. Gotta start someplace... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A

Anonymous

budhaboy":1vc0bafq said:
The Escaped Ape":1vc0bafq said:

Heh. Bernie caught the bug- she now has a 2.5 gallon bowfront on her dresser filled with Lyretail Guppies. Gotta start someplace... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guppies are the gateway drug. Give it a year and she'll be fragging S.gigantea. :lol:

A

Anonymous

The Escaped Ape":lur2vz5u said:
budhaboy":lur2vz5u said:
The Escaped Ape":lur2vz5u said:

Guppies are the gateway drug. Give it a year and she'll be fragging S.gigantea. :lol:

/nods in agreement

Yeah, that's how I started...guppies.

A

Anonymous

Lawdawg":2emwg0vy said:
The Escaped Ape":2emwg0vy said:
budhaboy":2emwg0vy said:
The Escaped Ape":2emwg0vy said:

/nods in agreement

Yeah, that's how I started...guppies.
oh, yeah do I know - She's already started cruising the net for info on the guppies.

I've got the baffles for the sump cut, and the 1x2s for the canopy frame, lower half is glued and clamped, curing as we post

A

Anonymous

LEDs from Rapidled came in today - holy crap -even powered by two AA batteries, these things are BRIGHT. like welders flash bright.
I went with 60 degree optics for all 48 LEDs - all the parts are of a higher quality than what I was expecting, including the two 6x9 heat sinks I ordered with the kit - color me impressed so far.
Canopy frame is almost finished, skinning and painting the canopy, and then building the LED kits are scheduled for this weekend.
Still need my controller, the MP40, and a Mag7...then after that, the live rock.

A

Anonymous

Slow but steady - you're getting there. 8)

BTW, pray for me to whatever deity seems appropriate this weekend - I'm getting rid of my sand bed and building a new aquascape.

A

Anonymous

bought the MP40 yesterday from my LFS - gave me a $75 gift certificate in exchange, got the first layer of sanding sealer on the canopy, hung the 4 stage 90 gallon/day RO/DI, need to get a valve saddle to permanently plumb it in yet(it came with a faucet adapter)...

things to do yet:
1. order controller(RKL) and return pump(Mag 7 or equiv.)
2. final coats of paint on canopy
3. wire up LED lighting
4. swith desk and tank locations(better viewing area)
5. Plumb tank and order rock, and fill it with water

I have a feeling the GC/Store credit is spent already - my LFS has been getting in Elegance corals that seem to be very healthy and doing well in his display tanks - its always been one of my favorite corals...

A

Anonymous

slight change of plans, after checking the website, and forums, and liking the idea of open source programming, I went ahead and ordered the ReefAngel controller - should be here in 2-3 weeks.

A

Anonymous

despite their website stating a 2 week lead time for the Reef Angel, it arrived yesterday, I wasnt expecting it to be shipped for another 2-3 days, let alone arriving already...
I havent fired it up yet, but I'm impressed with the build quality, with one caveat- why isnt there a mounting bracket or anything to mount the control unit like there is with the power outlet box? Oh well, if thats the only complaint I have, this controller is well worth the money

I'll try posting some pics of my progress tonight

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: