Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Wes, thank you so much for allowing me to be part of your remodel. The pics are nice. Your wife's choice in colors is superb. The tank looks amazing in that cabinetry. I love the colors, cabinets & walls alike.

CONGRATULATIONS
on a job well done.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
thank you Awibrandy, yeah she did great! I can't get over how different and great it looks in here.

Thank you crox :)

Ok i have more pics for you guys :)

I had a nice shipment come in today from liveaquaria, they have their 10 pack of "Certified Captive Grown" SPS frags for $140 and man let me tell you this stuff is awesome and for the price you can't beat it. I got certificates and everything lol. However they didn't tell me what's what so if you guys are good at playing the match game, let me know which ones they gave me lol. http://liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?pCatId=2341

fragpack1.jpg

fragpack2.jpg

and since i had the camera out i took a pic of the entire "frag corner" i have some nice stuff that i am slowly acclimating to the lighting.
fragshot1.jpg

fragshot2.jpg

I also ordered a small school of longspine cardinals, i ordered 6 but unfortunately only 3 made it. I heard they ship pretty poorly, LiveAquaria was very cool about how they handled it. Here are two hanging out a few minutes after going in the tank, the other is hiding out somewhere.
threadfin.jpg

My mille is already beginning to look like it's recovering from the stress, Still some ways to go in the color dept.
mille.jpg

Clam seems to like it.
clam.jpg

My longspine urchin is acting pretty weird. he has been sitting under this rock shedding spines...Not sure what his deal is.
urchinshedding.jpg

And finally a FTS as of a few minutes ago. Thanks for looking.

Wes

fts.jpg

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
<TABLE width=476 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Blue Girdled Angelfish

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD vAlign=top align=left>(Euxiphipops navarchus)
</TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD> Click here for a larger image </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE borderColor=#036690 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=230 border=1><TBODY><TR><TH bgColor=#036690>Quick Stats
</TH></TR><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#99ccff><TD>Minimum Tank Size: 70 gallons
</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#99ccff><TD>Care Level: Moderate
</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#99ccff><TD>Tank Conditions: 72-78?F; sg 1.020-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4; dKH 8-12
</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffcc><TD>Max. Size In Aquarium: Up to 1'
</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffcc><TD>Color Form: Blue, Yellow
</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffcc><TD>Temperament: Semi-aggressive
</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffcc><TD>Reef Compatible: With Caution
</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffcc><TD>Diet: Omnivore
</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffcc><TD>Compatibility: View Chart
</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#99cc99><TD>Origin: Coral Sea, Indo-Pacific
</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#99cc99><TD>Family: Pomacanthidae
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
<TABLE width=476 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Blue Girdled Angelfish

</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD vAlign=top align=left>(Euxiphipops navarchus)
</TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD> Click here for a larger image </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE borderColor=#036690 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=230 border=1><TBODY><TR><TH bgColor=#036690>Quick Stats
</TH></TR><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#99ccff><TD>Minimum Tank Size: 70 gallons
</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#99ccff><TD>Care Level: Moderate
</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#99ccff><TD>Tank Conditions: 72-78?F; sg 1.020-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4; dKH 8-12
</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffcc><TD>Max. Size In Aquarium: Up to 1'
</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffcc><TD>Color Form: Blue, Yellow
</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffcc><TD>Temperament: Semi-aggressive
</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffcc><TD>Reef Compatible: With Caution
</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffcc><TD>Diet: Omnivore
</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffcc><TD>Compatibility: View Chart
</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#99cc99><TD>Origin: Coral Sea, Indo-Pacific
</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#99cc99><TD>Family: Pomacanthidae
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I usually use liveaquaria as well to gaudge "minimum tank size". Granted 70g is a bit larger than 65g, I wouldnt want him in anything smaller and i would definitely sell him if i felt he gets large enough to be uncomfortable.

That being said, after owning both a Yellow Tang and a Majestic Angel, I would say that the yellow tang needs a much larger tank than the Majestic, based on his activity/behavior. The majestic is a slow coaster, where the tang is a hyperactive fish that swims nonstop. However, we see people all the time who keep yellow tangs in small tanks...

I may push the envelope w/ the Angel but he is healthy and doesn't seem too cramped. I will definitely part with him if that happens.

Plus, I'm seriously thinking about selling him so i can keep zoanthids.

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Wes,

I know this is a little late, but you cleaned out the top-off unit before adding water right :)?? And what do you think of the MH instead of the T5's. I was all set to go with MH (I used t5's before) but everytime I see Iwan's from RC tank, it pulls me right back to t5's. Logically, it make more sense to me also.

crox99

Audi Sport
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Hey Wes,

I like the switch and good luck with your new frags. I almost bought a very tiny Majestic 1.5" fully changed but I already have an Emperor.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Wes,

I know this is a little late, but you cleaned out the top-off unit before adding water right :)?? And what do you think of the MH instead of the T5's. I was all set to go with MH (I used t5's before) but everytime I see Iwan's from RC tank, it pulls me right back to t5's. Logically, it make more sense to me also.

yeah Paul i rinshed it out first. I love the MH's i will probably never go back. Iwan's tank is one in a million.

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
You think thats because of the spectrum or the increase in light/par? Iwan uses a whole bunch of t5s. Its the equivalent of using 10bulbs on a 2' wide tank which is the equivalent of 2 250mhs. But we've had all these tests done by Sanjay on mh bulbs and we know their spectrum graphs but I still haven't seen a test on t5's. Maybe the peaks are just much better with halides. Does the colors look better than t5 to you?

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i think it might have something to do w/ spectrum. It has been shown the T5s certainly have alot of par. It's too early for me to comment about coral colors, but I will say that my colors are already beginning to improve, for whatever reason (lighting isnt the only thing that changed recently).

I will say that I enjoy the look much more, It just looks more natural than flourescent...My wife likes they way it looks now much better as well and she usually doesn't comment one way or the other :)

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
tank

wes how many t5's were you using ? ive contiplated switching to mh but i am using 6 t5's now with 3 different light spectrum's and like having the ability to run several different color temp's { plus the heat and electric }

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i was usint 4 bulbs on an icecap ballast....another thing i have noticed...4 T5 bulbs overdriven mounted close to the water heated my water up just as much as my halides higher up in a well ventilated canopy. My new chiller hardly ever kicks on, oh well.

however right now the MH are currently only on for 4hrs/day and i am slowly increasing it an hour every week.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: