Zoous

Real Estate and Reefs
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Pretty small clam. IMO, I feel it's better to get a clam that is at least 3 inches.

It is quite possible for a worm, crab or snail to attack the byssal opening of a clam and eat it inside out. That's why it's good to place it on a piece of rock so that it can attach itself to the rock and the byssal opening is not easily attacked.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
what could have killed the clam in such a short amount of time? i drip acclimated it for a little over 3 hours and it lasted for over a week in my tank. do you think it was water parameters?

also, i have no idea how, but i pulled out the filter sock the other day to throw them all into the washer. i get down to the washing machine and am about to toss everything in. i just happen to look into the sock and see a damsel in there! i sprinted back to my apartment and tossed the fish in. at first i thought the little guy was a goner, he wasn't really swimming and was getting tossed around the current, breathing heavy. i watch a little tv and periodically check the tank. he is nowhere to be found. i start to regret throwing him back in so quickly and thinking his dead body is going to pollute the water if i can't find it. another ten minutes goes by and all of a sudden hes swimming out in the open with all the other fish, like nothing happened. i'm still wondering how the heck he managed to slip past the strainer. i'm thinking maybe when he was sleeping

muntai

CEO
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unless u have video surviance of your clams n a team of csi to examine them, the cause will b hard to find since its after the fact n the evidence has been tainted.
but being that the tank is swallow n the temp has been hot, it may be heat related.

btw: u can provide a larger light spot w/o spillage with a Lumenarc 3

probe dms

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
blue damsels are mf troopers!!!!

what could have killed the clam in such a short amount of time? i drip acclimated it for a little over 3 hours and it lasted for over a week in my tank. do you think it was water parameters?

also, i have no idea how, but i pulled out the filter sock the other day to throw them all into the washer. i get down to the washing machine and am about to toss everything in. i just happen to look into the sock and see a damsel in there! i sprinted back to my apartment and tossed the fish in. at first i thought the little guy was a goner, he wasn't really swimming and was getting tossed around the current, breathing heavy. i watch a little tv and periodically check the tank. he is nowhere to be found. i start to regret throwing him back in so quickly and thinking his dead body is going to pollute the water if i can't find it. another ten minutes goes by and all of a sudden hes swimming out in the open with all the other fish, like nothing happened. i'm still wondering how the heck he managed to slip past the strainer. i'm thinking maybe when he was sleeping

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
clownfish spawning

so i've been noticing my clownfish pair keep on nipping and biting this one area of rock right next to their anemone. they also take turns lying on it (see video). last night i took a look and yup, they laid eggs. i'll try to take a picture when the lights go on.

<embed id="VideoPlayback" style="width:400px;height:326px" allowFullScreen="true" flashvars="fs=true" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-6270456382169328784&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed>

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
the one pic shows the blue hippo scraping rock, dont be too sure it doesnt have ich, if it is rubbing against something there is a problem. about the clam. i have never put a clam on the rock's, always on the sand , bristle worms wont get at it this way. and as you should know, sometime's no matter what precautions you take with this hobby there is no guarentee,

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
about the blue hippo, i did think that he might have ich because it looked like he was scratching on the rocks. but i haven't seen him do it any other place. i think he kind of angles himself to graze in that particular spot because its close to the glass. i've been keeping an eye out on him, feeding a variety of food, some including garlic, and 3 different kinds of seaweed/algae. i'm pretty sure his immune system is doing well and he got a really nice healthy shine to him.

also, below is the best picture i could get of the eggs. pathetic i know. it is to the right of the anemone, on the rocks. little orange specks.

thanks chief

Attachments

• img_2984.jpg
    img_2984.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
update!

so its been too long since my last update. where to begin? (pics to follow)

i had a ton of caulpera in my tank...i thought it looked really nice and totally natural...until it decided to go sexual. so now i'm stuck taking out white wilted clumps of the stuff every few weeks, and it leaves my tank totally cloudy. suuuucks.

my rbta split again.

i lost my purple firefish and skunk shrimp after around a year, don't know why because everything was routine and no new changes.

my clownfish are laying eggs regularly and they hatch too. kind of exciting. haven't given any thought in trying to raise any of the fry.

currently battling some algae outbreaks and i've spotted a few aipstasia that i should get rid of. i'm still using the remora skimmer and i know its underpowered for the tank. i was thinking of getting a phosban reactor but i got a bunch of chemipure elite for free so i'm going to try that. also anyone got a CBB that i can borrow for the aipstasia?

i've always used instant ocean for my salt but the last few water changes i've used reef crystals and i've seen a small difference. my corals look brighter and bigger.

i also added another koralia 2.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
pics as promised...

forgive the dirtiness and kinda crappy pics. they were taken with my iphone...

Attachments

• IMG_0380.jpg
    IMG_0380.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_0381.jpg
    IMG_0381.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_0385.jpg
    IMG_0385.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_0389.jpg
    IMG_0389.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_0395.jpg
    IMG_0395.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_0396.jpg
    IMG_0396.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 258
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
thanks! i also wanted to share something. i just saw the hippo and yellow tang wiggle the sides of their tails against each other. i know they have spines there. is this a marked sign of aggression? the tails didn't actually touch and neither of them have physical signs of injury. but definitely something to look out for in the future. anyone have answers?

i'm going to try and take some video soon too. i don't know where i'll be next year (i find out jan 26!!) so i figure its time to start documenting like crazy =)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: