Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Love everything about this tank! I would have left it by the Bay Windows, and just screened it from the sun when the sun was at it's highest. I like the idea of viewing it from all sides. But that's just me. Then there is the thing with the return. Not sure if it would work, but I would have had the tank drilled from underneath for the return. Thus having a nice clean viewing sides. Also, get some clams in there. Perfect clam viewing tank.;)
If I hit the lotto I am so stealing your design.hehehe

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
thanks everyone for their comments. i'm very very open to all suggestions and advice.

bikinisalt: THANKS! this was possible because of you!

jejton: i'm D4

i bought this tank used from bikinisalt (ray) so he would know much more about this tank. it looks like a glasscages tank though. there is actually heavy duty bracing on 3 sides with glass (at least 3-4 inches). but again, maybe bikinisalt can comment more on this...

i was totally going to put it in my bedroom by the bay windows (as in the setup pics) but i thought with the direct sunlight and my roommates griping that they wanted it in the living room, i'd comply.

i love having the huge surface area to look down on. also, since the tank is shallow, in the living room it is flanked on 2 sides with couches that when you sit down on them, give you a perfect view of the tank. from either seat it looks like a different tank. and yes, i'm hopefully going to be adding an ORA clam in a little bit.

the overflow was a headache. because my return pump is too much for the drain to handle. i had to cut out a lot of the bars for the strainer and i've got a straw suspended with a toothpick to vent out the air and prevent the vortex. it took me days to come up with something believe it or not. but now its pretty damn quiet.

Last edited:

Davidl919

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
That is a very nice tank. I really like it.
I'm with Awi I would have left it in front of the window and sat there for a minimum of half an hour a day looking at the tank and the outside scenery.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
anybody have any critiques? i'd love to hear them.

so i'm running 250w hqi on the tank right now. as you can see its suspended rather high because i wanted to get the maximum coverage due to the huge surface area. i've been trying to downgrade to a 150w hqi. does anyone think this is a bad idea? i figured since the tank is shallow i wouldn't need the 250w. but then again, its suspended pretty far from the surface of the tank. thoughts?

also, i'm looking for an easy clamp on fuge light. anyone have one or know where i can get one on the cheap? how about a filter bag for carbon? any help? anyone? bueller? i'm going to take a picture of the toothpick straw drain noise killer that i made. i'm pretty proud of it

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
my drain noise killer

so the toothpick goes through the straw and suspends it. i've also cut holes on the straw right below that to vent out the air. i think the toothpick blocks too much of the top. i messed with the length a ton. currently its only a few inches long. the drain is mostly quiet now. also, i tried a bunch of different designs. the bubble tea straw made the drain deathly quiet but it blocked too much of the drain resulting in the rising level of water in the display tank. the straws you get at the bodega are the thinnest, the ones from mcdonalds are medium, and the bubble tea straws are the thickest.

Attachments

• img_2865.jpg
    img_2865.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 366
  • img_2866.jpg
    img_2866.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 363
  • img_2867.jpg
    img_2867.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 367
  • img_2872.jpg
    img_2872.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 365
  • img_2864.jpg
    img_2864.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 366

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Very nice setup. It is totally SCREAMING for a clam (or two or three) though. As Wingo asked about the flushing noise, that was my very first question too.

The straw and toothpick method is a nice way to solve that problem. Nice job.

Enjoy and good luck,
swimmer

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I wouldn't downgrade the light, but if you had to I would go with a 175w mogul in a lumenarc reflector or other reflector that has that kind of spread. The single ended halide gives you better spread over the double ended while the double will give you more intense point lighting. But since you already have a fixture and it's only 250w I wouldn't bother wasting the cash on another setup when the one you have is fine.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Tragedy: Suicide (warning: graphic pictures!)

so going along with the risks of having such a wide open tank, i had a fish jump out the other day. i've never ever experienced any fish jumping out of any of my tanks so this was a first for me. >knock on wood< the victim was a niger trigger that my roommates had bought me for my birthday. the tank is flanked by 2 couches. the best i figure is he jumped out, hit the arm rest of the couch, and fell to the floor between the tank and couch. he must've missed the sump by millimeters. *sigh* i'm really going to miss this guy. he was one of the smartest fish i've ever owned. full of personality.

Attachments

• img_2873.jpg
    img_2873.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 332
  • img_2874.jpg
    img_2874.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 332
  • img_2889.jpg
    img_2889.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
aquascape

i need to give a shout out and thanks to my friend helen. she did her research and aquascaped the tank. i love the rock corridor. it looks really really cool when fish swim through it.

Attachments

• img_2875.jpg
    img_2875.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 332
  • img_2891.jpg
    img_2891.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 330
  • img_2890.jpg
    img_2890.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 327
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Livestock

yellowtail damsel
yellow tang
hippo tang
purple firefish
pair of ocellaris clownfish
skunk cleaner shrimp
snails
hermit crabs

and my roommate bought me a blue damsel and a bluefin damsel to replace the trigger. i'm going to have to keep an eye on those damsels. :irked:

my clownfish were tiny when i first bought them. the female is now about 3" and the male is around 2.5" their rbta was also small when i first got the guy. he has lived in my 29 gallon tank for over a year, under PC lighting and frequent feedings, and has split 3 times. the rbta is now no less than 1ft in diameter. scary!

Attachments

• img_2878.jpg
    img_2878.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 327
  • img_2888.jpg
    img_2888.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 328
  • img_2893.jpg
    img_2893.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 326
  • img_2894.jpg
    img_2894.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 326
  • img_2900.jpg
    img_2900.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 323
  • img_2901.jpg
    img_2901.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 325

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: