Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
uuuuhhhh, then why is your heater in the display? :scratchch

You may be too observant for your own good :shhh:

I'm still working on the wiring under the stand. The heater is only temporary.

Originally I had all the controllers mounted to the underside of the stand. I noticed after only 2 weeks they had salt creep on them.

I'm making a rack to goto the right of the tank. This will hold the chiller, quarantine tank, reactors, and all the controllers. Unfortunately, construction has been going slow.

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Chiller has been tested and is online. I received cured live rock and sand from two different MR members this weekend. The waiting begins. Hopefully just in time for the frag swap!:thrash:

Look forward to an update this week with a new 1/4" mesh top, auto top off, and finalized wiring.

OctaviousMonk

Sucka Free Reefin' !!!
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Tank looks great. Do you have an endless supply of nylon blocks or what? Wondering why you have the starboard if you went with a sand bed? I usually only see the stuff in bare bottom tanks

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Tank looks great. Do you have an endless supply of nylon blocks or what?

It's good to work at a machine shop :eek:

Wondering why you have the starboard if you went with a sand bed? I usually only see the stuff in bare bottom tanks

I really designed the whole tank around housing a jawfish. I fear rock-avalanches. The starboard is just an extra layer of protection. It also eats up another 1/2" of this already tall tank.

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Just finished upgrading the batteries in my UPS battery backups.
These units were both salvaged from the dumpster, due to weak batteries.

The original batteries were two 12V7Ah and two 6V12Ah. I swapped them out for two 12V17Ah and one 12V27Ah. More than doubling my capacity. I had to modify one of the units to better fit the large battery. The other required external mounting.

The batteries were sourced by a Plainview battery supply house. Feel free to PM me if you want the companies contact info.

After last week's black out, I figured it was time up my backup time :redface:

IMG_1712.jpg

IMG_1711.jpg

Now I just need to find a place for them. I may "poke" a hole into the closest and hide the wiring there...

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Light suspension 2.0!

A trip to West Marine scored me a set of pulleys. The light can now be lifted with one hand! A cleat makes adjustments super quick.

IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0582.jpg

AriMiko43

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
What are those red rods you used going through your rock work? Are they used to hold the rock together for aquascaping? Do you drill into the rock and insert the rod and then into another rock to suspend rock for bridges, ledges etc.? If so where can I get those rods or something similar?

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
What are those red rods you used going through your rock work?

The rods are fiberglass driveway markers. They are from home depot.
They are much stronger (and more flexible) than acrylic rods.

I used a mason bit and drilled the rocks to accept the rods. Make sure to cool the rocks with water while drilling. I tried a spade bit, but it tended to split the rocks.

Not only do they support the rocks, they make the rock relatively easy to disassemble.

I'm going to hide the rods better once I start adding corals....

The key is to setup the rocks and rods before the water and sand is added. It's a total pain to do wet. Doing it dry made the process bearable.

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Added some live stock, finally.

Blue Spot Jawfish
Cleaner Shrimp
Emerald Crab
Blue Legged Hermits
Fighting Conch
Tiger Nassarius Snails
Tonga Nassarius Snail (he's a big boy!)
Margarita Snails
Cerith Snails

I've seen tons of micro fauna. I was worried that only seeding the tank with one small piece of live rock would leave the tank pretty sterile. (I started with all base rock)

I had one small mushroom on a small rock, but the jawfish quickly stole it for his cave building.

The dremel is still charging. Once it's ready, all the fancy corals (from the nano) are moving into the new tank. The rest will be given away in a different thread.

I finally have a reason to sit and stare at my tank :tongue1:

The jawfish is really tearing up my tank. It's tunnel has like 5 exits. He pops up everywhere in my tank. VERY entertaining! If I didn't go through the exercise of staking my rocks and making sure they were planted on the bottom of the tank, I'm sure they would have toppled. This fish can really excavate!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: