albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Looking great. Can't wait to see this baby plumbed and running.
Thanks Russ, I can't wait, either! Unfortunately, Have alot to do, so can not devote enough time to build!
will there be a canopy? or left open?
There will be a 'canopy'...I've designed a top mounted directly to the ceiling, the front and both sides will be hinged to fold up against the ceiling. the 2 solaris units and all T5s will also be suspended from the ceiling with adjustable cables
what type of drains are you going to use?
each overflow will have a 1 1/2" drain, direct to sump, plus an emergency overflow drain, same size, but drilled a few inches higher, in case water level rises in overflow. This system has worked perfectly for 6 years on my present system. I'm working on a dry-box for my vortecs (inspired by Chief) to allow them to be aimed diagonally across the tank from right rear to left front and lt. rr to rt. ft., this coupled with 3 front mounted 3/4" sea-swirl returns should make for ALOT of water movement. ALL COMMENTS/SUGGESTIONS WELCOMED

Last edited:

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
gotta find the thread from bean on RC about drains for you
Rick, thanks alot, great thread...definately gonna go with your suggestion...http://beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx

back-wide_500x375.jpg

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
The only issue with it is the amount of space that the overflow box protrudes into the tank. It does block a good amount of light from reaching the rear of the tank. Otherwise it is a very sound design
Since I have 2 separate overflows (instead of coast-to-coast) I will be using this system on each side (total of 6 drains)... I am using this 'basic' overflow design, for the past 6 years, on my 2 main display tanks (I like it shallow, in case a fish goes into the overflow, it's much easier to net). The light 'blockage' is really minimal, because the rear wall rockwork, leaves most, if not all, corals in the back...'under the sun'. ,
450_stand_023.jpg

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
How would you keep that tank from getting scratched???How would you clean it???
I gave up on glass in the mid 80's, my 150g glass took about 6 ppl to move,and worried me whenever it was drained and refilled... so my 300g upgrade was acrylic. Did I get some scratches...YES...(2 small children who always wanted to help me clean with the magnets)... did my glass tank have some scratches...YES. BUT, the difference...I buffed out those scratches myself on the acrylic tank, and it looked new. If you keep up with cleaning the viewing area (floating magnets help avoid sand) the job is easy, unfortuneately I usually let it go, so once a week on Sunday, I need to spend over a hour scrapping coraline..similar to ppl with glass tanks (but plastic blades/no razor blades). I wouldn't waste anyones time trying to convince them glass vs. acrylic...with over 35 yrs in hobby, I designed and ordered exactly what I want...(for now) :splitspin

aborrero4u

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
That's a beautiful tank, and to think my wife thinks my 72 bow front tank is alot (lol). Cant wait to see the tank when its fully setup. I know when I buy my house Im going to upgrade to like a 300 gallon, this tank is inspiration. Thanks for sharing your thread, the tank looks beautiful even empty!!

You finally got a move on on the set-up! Congratulationsss!!! Now let me know when you want me to come and take some more pics, I'd be glad to do it. Actually I gotta wait to get my car back lol but let me know anyways lol and man this really makes me anxious to upgrade my tank, I have a perfectly good 210g tank that I bought 2 months ago waiting to be set-up but my parents still haven't bought a house :( I should see if I can buy one before them lol

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
:screama: That fish is not REEF SAFE!
:irked: Plus it looks like a local species that is prone to ich!
:mad: WTF are you doing alfie?????
"THE TANK LOOKS GREAT, THE TANK LOOKS GREAT, EVERYTHING IS FINE, EVERYTHING IS FINE, WHEN I SNAP MY FINGERS, YOU WILL AWAKE AND FEEL REFRESHED BY THE BAIL-OUT"

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: