JARRETT SHARK

Addicted to coral
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
You are only losing the SPS?

I really don't see how it is possible to starve the corals in such a short period. You added a lot of water to the system recently. Have you calibrated your refractometer recently?

yes, i only realy have only sps, maybe 2-3 acans and 2 toads the rest SPS colonies

brand new Refractometer and checked with old one,

its real crazy because i would say its alk or a heater broke,etc...but this is my only other idea what it could be???

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
You are only losing the SPS?

I really don't see how it is possible to starve the corals in such a short period. You added a lot of water to the system recently. Have you calibrated your refractometer recently?

Yes you can If you hit a ULN system (Ultra low nutrianite) there is no more food soure for your sps so the first sign would be fading of color if you dont caught that in time your sps will starve and die . Lps are different thay store food in there system for a wail so it will take mounth before there show signs of starving.

JARRETT SHARK

Addicted to coral
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Yes you can If you hit a ULN system (Ultra low nutrianite) there is no more food soure for your sps so the first sign would be fading of color if you dont caught that in time your sps will starve and die . Lps are different thay store food in there system for a wail so it will take mounth before there show signs of starving.

i agree 100% Bratt

Josh i use salifert test kits for everything, even bought another new one
I have 3 ph probes on my stystem that all read within .1
I kept saying it cant be the pellets but running out of answers right now until someone see something i cant. All sps starting from base then RTN on me to the top

ReefBum

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Sorry to hear this Jarrett. I don't know a lot about the pellets but did your tank parameters swing at all recently? Any Alk spikes? Stability is key with SPS.

henrystyle

Bad Mutha Shut Your mouth
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Bio pellets messed me up as well. Im back to simple. Cheato, skimmer and carbon. Gfo when needed... Something with the bacteria from those pellets. You have to start with a little then just add more pellets if needed. To much when first starting will shock the hell out of your tank. You really cant follow the directions.
But I don't have to worry about that because I'M NOT MESSING WITH THEM AGAIN!

PS- which brand of pellets are you using?

Last edited:

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
the directions say x amount for x amount of gallons, and all the threads say to start with half that amount, henry which reactor did you have ? says 500 ml per 100g i started with the full 500 ml on my 80g system, had no cloudiness, no ill effects and i am about 3 months into them. i do have a goos skimmer, i did get the correct reactor for them. i do believe what might have been partial jarrets problem was not feeding the tank, . gonna get permission from a guy to post his opinions.

Vic8361

Rating - 100%
142   0   0
sad to hear about the crash, I know how it feels. Twice for me and it wasn,t fun. Fish digging into my sandbed did it to me.
Just slow down and pray for the best. Once they start rtning it's hard to stop them.
When everything settles down and you start seeing the light again let me know and I would be happy to hook you up with spme frags
Vic

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Ok - although there is no way for you to know this because I wound up losing my almost 1.5 page worth of typing I tried to post as an initial response to Dizzle's question; I think you both just validated the case I was trying to make.... so here goes another attempt (this time not using the quick reply facility - so hopefully my token doesn't expire causing me to loose all of my typing!!)

My thoughts are as follows:
  • Ever since the dawn of Ultra Low Nutrient Systems (ULNS) given rise by this relatively new concept of "bacteria driven filtration" Zeo; Carbon dosing; etc... the discussion to determine an ideal carbonate hardness changed from the prescribed range of 8-12 dkh to a maximum limit of 9 dkh. Reason for this is that if your aquarium is nutrient limited in terms of phosphate/nitrate, then your zooxanthelae driven growth slows so much so that accelerated [coral] skeleton building (driven by lots of available CaCO3 i.e. dKH>9) will lead to burnt tips on your acro colonies... in other words, your acro skeleton structure will outgrow it's flesh;

I recently had a discussion with a colleague which re-focused my understanding of the importance of pH in a reef environment in particular with regard to sps/lps. Natural sea water hovers at a pH of 8.2. If you think of a calcium reactor which uses CO2 to acidify and ultimately liberate Ca & CO3 ions from aragonite/coral media etc; you would quickly see that at a certain pH Ca dissolves from coral skeletons, but can further deduce that at some point, living coral cannot even uptake or fix Ca to their skeletons.

In my particular prototype system (450g Reef fixer-upper), I embarked on a pretty extreme rehabilitation of a 6 year old aquarium that did not have the benefit of an adequate filtration nor circulation system until about 6-8 months ago. Nitrates were well over 200ppm; and phosphates were at about 3.5 or so... needless to say, this was the ideal system to test out the bio-pellet strategy.

In this particular system, I'd inadvertently elevated the calcium to 540 ppm (before I actually measured it). In response I shut off the CaCO3 reactor's CO2 feed hoping that my recent addition of LPS; and newly growing coralline algae would use up the surplus Ca before anything got to stressed... well the calcium refused to drop and in fact continued to fluctuate between 490 & 520 for an additional two months! In the meantime, I couldn't quite confirm what exactly was causing my loss of crocea clams, and a number of lps including elegance, bubble, plate, and fungia corals all due to rapid tissue loss/polyp bailouts.

It is known that one of the reasons that lps bail their polyps is because of insufficient Ca or at least Ca uptake. The skeleton is no longer adequately able to retain the fleshy polyps... I was certainly puzzled since at that same time this aquarium was plagued with extremely high Ca (didn't want to do a water-change just yet) even though the Ca reactor for all intents and purposes was turned off (CO2).

In looking at the situation in terms of pH and dKH, I found that my pH had been sitting at around 7.83 - 7.89 according to my recently installed and calibrated pH monitor; and KH was sitting around 8-9 degrees. At first I was not sure what the best corrective measure would be since I usually rely on calcium reactors to control KH, but in this odd situation, I already had an over-abundance of Ca... so I invested in some Kent Marine Pro Buffer to address the low pH issue by raising the dKH to whatever it needed to be to elevate the system pH toward levels found in NSW. Over the last 2 weeks I've arrived at a dKH level of 12-13 (Pro buffer and returning the Ca reactor to service); pH is now consistently above 8.1 (usually hitting 8.25); and .... wait for it.... wait for it..... MY Ca HAS FINALLY DROPPED TO 400-420!!!

In my opinion the above three points/observations can be combined to conclude this.... If your pH is below 8.0, your skeleton/calcium based corals will have great difficultly keeping; and will in all likelihood begin losing CaCO3 from their skeletal structure. This will inevitably lead to lps bailing polyps, and sps receding their tissue.

I also believe that with an abundance of bacterial fauna, which can be expected with this latest strategy of solid form carbon dosing, there will be a related impact on the O2/CO2 dynamic within our closed systems; the bacteria will respire and therefore add further load to your aquarium's buffering capacity - which is a direct derivative of alkalinity: i.e. the higher your KH, the greater your pH buffering capacity.

In my observations it would seem that the ULNS recommended maximum of 9 dKH cannot maintain pH at the ideal level of 8.2 in a system laden with O2 breathing/CO2 respiring bacteria. If I'm not mistaken, the entire impetus for this prescribed limitation of 9 dKH has to do with preventing the coral skeleton from out-growing it's flesh/polyps, then why can't we just focus on better nourishing the fleshy parts of the coral with amino acids and other types of heterotrophic feeding regiments (if it turns out that the bacterio-plankton made available by the pellets prove nutritionally limited)?
More and more I'm beginning to suspect that many of the problems being cited after the pellets have successfully achieved targeted nitrate/phosphate levels have to do with the effect this bacterial system has on pH balance within our aquariums. I believe this can and in all likelihood does significantly contribute to everything from hair algae (and cyano) explosions to stress and tissue recession on corals. At this point this is just a theory backed only by my own limited experience of one prototype tank; as well as my interpretation of some of y'all's posted finding/issues. Maybe in time this theory will be further validated or perhaps even defeated, but I think we should list all of our parameters along-side the issues experienced... as usual the problem is always a combination of individual but nonetheless obviously affective contributing parts.

It might in fact turn out that many of the problems might be addressable by setting a higher target dKH; or better aerating/degassing produced CO2 from our water columns so that pH can be maintained at proper levels, which would allow many of the other natural processes to take place... simply food for thought at this point.

Let me know if any of this makes any kind of sense, or if I'm completely off my rocker. Thanks for reading... if you in fact made it through all of it...
as-sleep.gif

Regards,

Sheldon

his screen name on RC is Scej12 had spoke to him making sure i could copy his post. does bring up alot of valid points and concerns

JARRETT SHARK

Addicted to coral
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I read that yesterday Rick and this is a good point he wrote
"In my opinion the above three points/observations can be combined to conclude this.... If your pH is below 8.0, your skeleton/calcium based corals will have great difficultly keeping; and will in all likelihood begin losing CaCO3 from their skeletal structure. This will inevitably lead to lps bailing polyps, and sps receding their tissue."

Ph is always down with these pellets for me!!!

Well after removing 3/4 pellets and feeding like no tomorrow my tank looks stable. I still read zero phosphate even after 15mins of feeding. I notice my colors are coming back slowly and poly extension looks better on my sps.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0

IMO SPS need very little "food" to survive. If you completely stopped feeding your tank but continued regular water changes it would be a very long time before SPS started to die rapidly. They don't need that much organic food in order to grow.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Well after removing 3/4 pellets and feeding like no tomorrow my tank looks stable. I still read zero phosphate even after 15mins of feeding. I notice my colors are coming back slowly and poly extension looks better on my sps.

You've been changing conditions in the tank all over the place. What makes you think any of the above is the cause of the turnaround?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: