Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have come a long way with this tank so far and I am very proud of myself for getting it all done! I bought this tank in November from an MR member. At the time I had a 29 gallon biocube totally taken over by every algae imaginable. When I got this tank I made sure I did it right the first time. I am only 15 years old so setting up this tank was a long process and it took a lot of work! I am a member of thereeftank and I was lucky enough to win reviewer of the month and receive an AWI Typhoon III RO/DI system, and then I got a great deal on halides and VHO's, so I began to build a canopy. I finished the tank and canopy in late december and took my biocube down to cook the rock with RO/DI water. I then got 50 pounds of marcorock and arranged them the way I wanted in the tank. I got all the plumbing into the tank and all the sand in by february. I then redid the sump to have 3 sections. A protein skimmer section, a return pump section and a refugium. I made sure everything was set up the way I wanted it to be and started the process of filling this baby up! The sump is a 55 gallon so it took a while but I eventually got it. After that I let the tank cycle while I kept my corals in the biocube for a month and then added my CUC and a week later corals went in. 1 week ago I bought my first 3 fish, a pair of black saddlebacks and a small yellow tang. They are all really healthy and eating great! So now we're up to today... My rocks finished cooking the other day and today I added them to the tank. So far I love it! I figured it was about time to put up a quick picture and get this thread started so here you guys go! The water was cloudy because I just added the new rocks and only actinic's are on. I will get some better pictures tomorrow.
23April2010cookedrocksintank002.jpg

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Congrats on the tank kid. Just messin with the kid thing even though am over twice your age lol. I'm glad to see your having better success with this one. Keep up the good work and keep taking it slow like you have been and youll have a beautiful reef. Take care and enjoy that RO/DI unit you won.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Reeftanker, I am so proud of you! You have done so much better then others twice your age!
Keep doing what your doing, and in no time you will have a GORGEOUS reef!:)
Welcome aboard!:hug:

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Reeftanker, I am so proud of you! You have done so much better then others twice your age!
Keep doing what your doing, and in no time you will have a GORGEOUS reef!:)
Welcome aboard!:hug:
Thank you very much!
This club has been a HUGE help so far, the only things in the tank purchased from people outside of the club were the halides and the rock/sand.
just keep patience young jedi and all will go well
LOL thank you.

I will take some pictures with the halides on today.

wonderballz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Defi a great start. Also a good idea to go with a 90G rather than a nano. I tried to start a 10G nano while I was in college, but the upkeep was too much to balance with all the other stuff a college student likes to do, so i had to take it down.

I defi look forward to more pics, and as others have said, patience is key. It will make for a better tank in the long run.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Defi a great start. Also a good idea to go with a 90G rather than a nano. I tried to start a 10G nano while I was in college, but the upkeep was too much to balance with all the other stuff a college student likes to do, so i had to take it down.

I defi look forward to more pics, and as others have said, patience is key. It will make for a better tank in the long run.
I started with the 29g biocube but it definitely wasn't big enough for me. I have been researching pretty much every day for a year now on these tanks so I hope I did everything right!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Finally I have a picture with MH's on for everyone!
I rearranged the rock a tiny bit and I started using coralife salt. The day I did the water change there was a noticeable improvement in the corals in my tank and for the past week corraline algae has been growing extremely fast along with my corals!
May6thtanks008.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: