henrystyle

Bad Mutha Shut Your mouth
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Tank is up and running now. I cemented the rock this morning. Came out good. Put it in the tank as soon as it got hard...Got hard fast...Once the coraline spreads you won't be able to see the cement patches. Hung up the 2 media reactors and hooked up the calcium reactor and CO2 tank. I got 1 super actinic and 1 454 vho bulb in the fixture. That 454 is sick..Nice color combo. Added the arag-alive west caribbean sand after I sat the rock down. Flow is crazy in the tank...Coast to coast overflow is working nice. Put a temporary filter on the drain to catch all the dust and scum floating around the tank....Water is cloudy but debris free...
DSC02046.jpg

DSC02048.jpg

DSC02052.jpg

DSC02054.jpg

DSC02091.jpg

DSC02056.jpg

DSC02053.jpg

DSC02090-1.jpg

DSC02055-1.jpg

henrystyle

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Some shots from this morning.
Tested ammonia, nitrite and nitrate this morning, all zero. Im guessing thats due to the rock that I had cycling since last October and the arag-alive live sand I used...Tank is crystal clear. Skimmer already pulled some stinky stuff out.
DSC02133.jpg

DSC02134.jpg

DSC02135.jpg

Side shot
DSC02136.jpg

Last edited:

henrystyle

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Gotta get a new camera. My kids sat on my hi def point and shoot. Broke the screen. Can't find the charger to my older camera.
Soon as I get one I will take some shots. Nothing in there but snails and crabs. I do have a cali tort and purple nana mounted but that's it.

henrystyle

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
just picked up 2- 400w SE 20k Artemis bulbs to run with my pfo duel m135 magnetic ballast...loving the color. Not to Blue and very Intense. Way better look than the 14ks I originally started the tank with.. Real happy with them.

Also going to start running WM EcoBak pellets. From what I've been reading its working wonder...New tank, new technology, new science...Trying to eliminate buying gfo..Cost to damm much and is to messy! If that works I will have no need for my deep sand bed. That section in the sump will prob become my frag section.....
http://www.warnermarine.com/indexsite.html
Also picked up a Hanna Phosphate Checker...$40 you cant go wrong....excellent reviews on them.. Very accurate!
http://www.eseasongear.com/hahi713chhch.html

henrystyle

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Snapped some flicks today...Made a few changes to the tank. First I took out the coast to coast overflow. Couldn't get it to overflow properly so I yanked it. Now I have an elbow turned up with some mesh around it to keep the fish and snails out...Works great and keeps the surface water crystal clear. A little noisy but I can live with it.
PA290025.jpg

PA290034.jpg

Also made a bubble buster for the end of the drain pipe in the sump. Kills the draining water noise completely. Got the idea from a guy on reefcentral name drummerreef.
PA290030.jpg

PA290029.jpg

Last I yanked the dsb (for now) Plan on setting up up again later slowly. Got the cheato growing in the dsb area like weeds. This was just a handful I got about a week ago...
PA290028.jpg

Only 1 gold rim tang,1 sailfin tang and about 12 green chromis in the tank right now. Had an early aptasia problem. So before I started adding frags I decided to freshwater dip all my rock killing it. (also killed everything else) So the tank went through another cycle. So in about another week or 2 I will start adding all my sps frags.
PA290033.jpg

PA290031.jpg

Got the 2 maxi jet 1200/modded on the other top end of the tank pointing towards the overflow...No area of the tank is without flow...Works great and keep the tank oxygenated well.
PA290026.jpg

PA290022.jpg

PA290019.jpg

wayne

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
hey congrats on your tank everything looks good. i was just wondering about your calcium reactor does it work good i know it might be a bit too early to tell i am thinking about investing in one of them but there was no reviews on that particular brand.
Is it hard to set up and calibrate and please who did you get it from ..............

henrystyle

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
hey congrats on your tank everything looks good. i was just wondering about your calcium reactor does it work good i know it might be a bit too early to tell i am thinking about investing in one of them but there was no reviews on that particular brand.
Is it hard to set up and calibrate and please who did you get it from ..............
Whats up Wayne. I bought my calcium reactor used on ebay. It is an MRC so all the instructions can be found on there website. On my previous tank I used a calcium reactor and it worked excellent. It kept my levels steady without the need to dose. They aren't hard to calibrate. Remember they are designed to maintain levels not boost them. So when you first put one online make sure your levels are exactly where you want them to be. Get yourself a ph controller and you will be set. Really easy and will last for a few months before you have to refill the media and co2 bottle. Your sps will love you.
Mine is an older model. Mine does not have the spray bar.
http://www.myreefcreations.com/CR-1-Single

Last edited:

henrystyle

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
any updates?
Nothing major. Still waiting for the ammonia to completely vanish before I start loading up. Yesterday I cleaned out the sump and skimmer. Found some loose eco-bac bio balls in there. (Some at the bottom of my skimmer)
Maybe thats what was stalling my cycle and keeping the ammonia hanging around. Had a bunch of crazy looking sponge things growing only in my sumps drain section. I'm guessing that was from the loose bio balls. (Never Again)

Cleaned out all the detritus that collected in the sump. (And the sponge looking things) Re-positioned the skimmer so that it can suck up more incoming crap from the drain. Cheato growing like weeds...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: