regal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
So you're saying to leave the power to the MW's on, and control only via dimming cables?

I don't have an answer for this. I don't know what it means by cold start, whether it is turned on by the dimmer or the driver itself. But to be safe, I would split up the MW to run on 2 different circuit with separate breakers and don't turn them all on at full blast all at the same time.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
No, it is not a cooling issue. It has to do with the "cold start surge current" drawn by the drivers which can overheat the house wires. It was mentioned in the other famous website.

Sounds like the guy's home wiring and circuit breakers are not matching each other. The C/B should have popped before the wire in the house gets hot enough to catch fire. I doubt these electronic circuitry can draw as much start-up current as a large horsepower motor or your aircon compressor.

Ming, you can put a 10amp C/B in the driver box to further protect the home circuit. Your AquaController's power bar is another layer of protection with the built in 15A fuse or C\B.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
Here's your update
IMG_1018.jpg

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Ming, nice neat plumbing job. It just looks like a boatload of resistance built into every line. You're going to need some serious power hog pumps to run that.

Keep us posted on what pumps you're using and how the flow stands up to the back pressure.

Russ

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
Ming, nice neat plumbing job. It just looks like a boatload of resistance built into every line. You're going to need some serious power hog pumps to run that.

Keep us posted on what pumps you're using and how the flow stands up to the back pressure.

Russ

Thanks Russ. Yeah, I could have made it less resistance, but it would have taken up more room, which I don't have much of so something had to give. I'll be using the Water Blaster HY7000 rated for 1800gph so we'll see.
The reason why the 1 pipe splits into 2 is a bypass (which will generally be closed) in case the Oceans Motion ever needs to be taken off for servicing, I can flip a couple of ball valves and still have flow in 2 outlets while taking down the OM.

regal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
XRE Royal Blues
XPG Cool whites R5 bin
Details available in my build thread
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/equipment/76328-mings-led-build.html

After the tank is up (this weekend), I can start building another LED fixture which will have the same XPG for whites, and XPE for blues

How do you like the xre-RB? I just finished mine with the same combo xpg and xre. I am running it side-by-side with my maxspect. I was a little disappointed with the xre which are not blue enough like the maxspect and creates a color mismatch. I hope it is not bc of a bad batch. I should received more xre-rb from another source today and I will swap out the semiled rb of the maxspect. Why are you switching to xp-e blues? I would think that they are not as blue as the RB based on the wavelength.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
The RB seems fine for me. I used more blues then I did whites, because I knew the xpg's have more lumens. I forgot the exact ratio, but I think it was 4:3 ratio of blues to white.
The xpe royal blues I believe are the same wavelength I think. The LED is just more compact so I'll use the same lens and the LED's look all the same instead of different types of lens. I'll likely stick to the same 4:3 ratio, but we'll see

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
Quick update:
Here's the 190#'s of sand I'm using
100# of southdown
90# of aragamax oolitic
IMG_1023.jpg

Before people get their hopes up, southdown isn't back. I got it from Mak who had it stored away.. probably like a decade old :lol:

Alright, break time over, 50 gallon is empty and out of the room, need to continue to empty out my 75g tank so I can start moving the new tank in!

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Looking good Ming! Keep those pics coming!!! :)

(make more water and put it in that sump? ;) ..you still have me worried..lol)

Good that you posted this:
Before people get their hopes up, southdown isn't back. I got it from Mak who had it stored away.. probably like a decade old :lol:
but repeating it here anyway before the question comes up for the millionth time...lol

roc5288

ReefersDelight
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Ming.. I love your plumbing. But i have to say that i hate that style of ball valve. It just seems that it sometime takes to much pressure to close and open them.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: