pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
^ I feel you on that one. I had one of the anthias jump and land on top of the overflow cover. I went thru all the trouble of trying to make it so the fish couldn't jump out and now they're trying to catch a tan on top of the cover. We can never win! Lol...

Jbanks

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Another update on The AEFW fight... I've been watching various threads on the use of Bayer Home Defense with germ killer as a coral dip for over a year now with great success. I decided to try dipping the colony that I know is most effected, my tricolor valida.. Being a pretty large and encrusted colony, I took care not to expose any of the rock that the colony is attached to to the water in the dip... Within 20 seconds, I could not believe my eyes.. with the coral hanging upside down in the bucket I used to dip it, the AEFWs began raining out of the colony. I counted at least 60 of these little buggers... for 10 minutes or so they riggled until the wriggling stopped. After 15 minutes , I shook the coral in the solution and noticed the water take in a similar hue to the coral. My guess is that some of the xooxanthelae from the coral was released into the solution. Then, I rinsed it twice in saltwater from my water change in two separate buckets... There was a slight loss of color, but nothing significant... the coral hardly slimed at all once back in my tank and there was no visible signs of stress to any of the other inhabitants. The very next morning, the valida displayed better polyp extension than ever... what made me do this.... I had been noticing this colony getting light at the base... Upon basting, I would see two or three AEFWs come off and I knew there had to be more... This is the most striking colored piece in my reef amongst all the various "more expensive" corals and it is also one of my first corals introduced to this tank as a frag, which makes me particularly fond of it.

I in no way encourage others to try what I did, but once again, I offer my system as a lithmus test in finding some relief to this cause... Things have been very stable since the dip, I will update you all within a few weeks with a follow-up.

but first, a few post dip pictures...
IMG_2971.jpg

Gotta' have a new fish shot :)
IMG_2938.jpg

IMG_2969.jpg

IMG_2972.jpg

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Another update on The AEFW fight... I've been watching various threads on the use of Bayer Home Defense with germ killer as a coral dip for over a year now with great success. I decided to try dipping the colony that I know is most effected, my tricolor valida.. Being a pretty large and encrusted colony, I took care not to expose any of the rock that the colony is attached to to the water in the dip... Within 20 seconds, I could not believe my eyes.. with the coral hanging upside down in the bucket I used to dip it, the AEFWs began raining out of the colony. I counted at least 60 of these little buggers... for 10 minutes or so they riggled until the wriggling stopped. After 15 minutes , I shook the coral in the solution and noticed the water take in a similar hue to the coral. My guess is that some of the xooxanthelae from the coral was released into the solution. Then, I rinsed it twice in saltwater from my water change in two separate buckets... There was a slight loss of color, but nothing significant... the coral hardly slimed at all once back in my tank and there was no visible signs of stress to any of the other inhabitants. The very next morning, the valida displayed better polyp extension than ever... what made me do this.... I had been noticing this colony getting light at the base... Upon basting, I would see two or three AEFWs come off and I knew there had to be more... This is the most striking colored piece in my reef amongst all the various "more expensive" corals and it is also one of my first corals introduced to this tank as a frag, which makes me particularly fond of it.

I in no way encourage others to try what I did, but once again, I offer my system as a lithmus test in finding some relief to this cause... Things have been very stable since the dip, I will update you all within a few weeks with a follow-up.

but first, a few post dip pictures...
IMG_2971.jpg

Gotta' have a new fish shot :)
IMG_2938.jpg

IMG_2969.jpg

IMG_2972.jpg

someone up there is looking out for you & your sticks! :cheers: excellent husbandry has been rewarded...

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Even with all your problems your tank is still one of the most gorgeous tanks I have ever seen....................... Wish my tank could look a 1/1000 as good!:happysad:

Perhaps one day I can see it in person.;)

Jbanks

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
glad to hear things went well with the Valida, but keep an eye out for more of them...

Thanks Mike.. It was great seeing you on Firday! Absolutely, I plan to dip occasionally, just to keep them under control..

someone up there is looking out for you & your sticks! excellent husbandry has been rewarded...

Thanks Dude! It really seems that way! I hope that watching eye continues! LOL...

Even with all your problems your tank is still one of the most gorgeous tanks I have ever seen....................... Wish my tank could look a 1/1000 as good!

Perhaps one day I can see it in person.

Awilda, that's one of the nicest compliments I have ever received.. You, my dear are welcome to come by any time you are in Queens! By the way, I've seen pictures of your tank and it looks really good to me :)

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Awilda, that's one of the nicest compliments I have ever received.. You, my dear are welcome to come by any time you are in Queens! By the way, I've seen pictures of your tank and it looks really good to me :)

:lol2: You so silly. I'm always in Queens, I live in Far Rockaway which is in Queens.:lol2:

Jbanks

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
LOL! I am silly... I remember reading that somewhere... I should have said..
When your in the southeast side of queens north of the conduit! LOL... to this day, I don't understand Why Laurelton is considered south queens when Far Rock is the real south side of Queens... or the city by the sea as I refer to it :) Anyway, you're welcome any time my dear :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: