rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
those baffles might be to close to each other unless you are using a small pump for your new build. if you can try to make them at least 1" appart, and 1" of the bottom for the center. too close together and you won't be able to dissipate your micro bubbles. and from my experience the last baffle from your skimmer section to your return area should be 1" less this way you do not get a water fall affect. into the return area.

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
This weekends warm weather gave me a chance to get a good amount of work done to the stand. All I have left on the stand is add some Polly to some of the trim and doors. It should finally be completed in the next few days. I will post pics soon.

My next day off will be filled with getting things ready in the house. I need to run a 20 amp line and Ethernet cable to the tank location. I may cut away the laminate floor where the tank is going so that the stand sits directly on the slab. Not sure about that yet.

I also need to move my AC duct. Here is a quote of a post I made earlier in this thread. Any thoughts you have on this are greatly appreciated.
I Have a AC duct exactly where the cable mount for my light fixture needs to go.
I have a few choices on where to move it. I can simply move it one stud bay over
toward the center of the tank, or one bay over placing it on the outside edge above the tank. The other choice would be to completely relocate the duct away from the tank. If I stay above the tank I most likely can get away with just moving it, no parts needed. If I relocate it I would have to buy new duct material to lengthen the line to where it has to go.
My question is.....Is having a AC duct above the tank a positive or a negative?
The air doesn't blow straight down, it's blown sort of horizontally out angled down a little.

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Positive I see in the summer it'll stay cooler.

Possible negatives:
- dust from vent/whatever is in the vent dispersing near tank

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Thanks for your input Paulie!

Here are some pictures of the stand. I haven't put any polyurethane on the doors yet.
I'm not very happy with the way the doors came out. The grain was very subtle before the stain went on. One the stain was applies the grain exploded. I will finish these up and get the tank set up, but after I think I will make some new doors.

Attachments

• P1020686-1.JPG
    P1020686-1.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 220
  • P1020687-1.JPG
    P1020687-1.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 215
  • P1020688-1.JPG
    P1020688-1.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 219
  • P1020689-1.JPG
    P1020689-1.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 215

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
That sort of stain looks very modern. I don't think it looks bad, just different. If you do change the doors, what are you going with oak ?

I will have to test some woods to see what would take the stain similar to the rest of the stand (Aspen wood). The molding is clear pine and seemed to look similar when stained. I am thinking maybe I will make some rail and stile doors.
Today was the first time the wife saw the doors. She doesn't seem to hate them as much as I do, so I dont have to be in a hurry to replace them. Once the tank is up and running I will decide what to do.

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I managed to get some work done this week to bring me to the point where I can actually set the tank up. The past few days I managed to find the time to get the dedicated 20 amp and network lines run. I moved the A/C duct and got the first cote of spackle on the repair where the duct used to be. Once the ceiling repair is finished I think I am ready to put the tank in place :)

I know it's not a very exciting update, but at least things are getting closer to being able to have real tank related stuff to report.

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Nice... So you did move the a/c vent after all.

The a/c vent was located exactly where the cable for my light needs to go, so I had to move it no matter what. I only moved it over one stud bay rather than relocate it to another part of the room. That was much easier since I didn't have to replace any a/c piping, just a simple move 16 inches to the right.

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I can honestly say that out of all the steps leading up to setup this system painting the back of the tank is by far my least favorite. I have applied two coats and it looks like I will need about a hundred more :(

Gwiz3005

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
How are you painting the back...rollers? brush? spray paint?

I just painted the back of my 125 with spray paint. It was pretty painless, and came out great.

Keep at it. It will look great in the end. What color paint are you using?

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I'm using a roller with Rustolium black paint. Spray would be easier, but I have to do it inside. After the first two coats things started to look better. I have four cotes on now. I will probably add another two tonight.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: