BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Background painting is done. After the first two coats it started to cover well. I ended up with 5 coats total. The tank is now on the stand and I will hang the light next time I have energy.
I was telling my wife that I should be able to start filling it after this weekend. She replied with "Maybe we should paint the room before you put water in the tank" :mad:

It's not much, but here's a couple of pic's with the tank roughly in place and painted black. The light really brings out the water spots on the glass.

Attachments

• P1020701-1.JPG
    P1020701-1.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 199
  • P1020708-1.JPG
    P1020708-1.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 199

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The paint is Rustolium Painters Edge semi gloss latex. It had absolutely no smell.

I really don't want to paint the room. It will probably take her over a week to pick the color, then I will waste at least 2 perfect fish tank building days off painting. It will very hard to deny her the paint job after all she puts up with. How can you say no to a woman who let's you replace a love seat with a reef tank?

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Last night I came to realization that with the stand up against the wall I have no way to pass the plugs and power supply's from the outside of the cabinet to the inside. The MP40 driver and the power supply for the light need to be in the stand. There is no opening for that to happen. I guess I need to make a removable panel or something on the side of the stand. Any ideas?

I managed to hang the light fixture tonight. Here's a few pictures.

Attachments

• P1020750-1.JPG
    P1020750-1.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 188
  • P1020751-1.JPG
    P1020751-1.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 187
  • P1020752-1.JPG
    P1020752-1.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 189

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Thanks for the kind words guy's.
Most of the more complicated stuff is out of the way now. Hopefully the pace of the build will pick up now. The wife is still deciding if she wants the room painted before I fill the tank. I figure next weekend I will be either painting or adding water.

Mike, I love the ATI fixture. I havent compared it to any others, but when researching this seemed to be the one to get. I wish they had the 8 bulb Sunpower out when I bought this one. The 6 bulb should be plenty for the 125 though.

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Thanks. The tank is 72x18x22. I was limited to 18" deep because of the location. I would have loved to do a 180g, but it would have stuck out 6" to far. The other choice would be a 150g, but I didn't want a tank that tall.

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Almost was a 135 :DOH:

Coming along nicely Bob glad to see everything working out!

One recommendation I will make is quarantine all your fish :/ I lost all mine except my 2 clowns so now the 180 has to sit empty for at least 8 weeks :yikes:

Let me know how you like the ATI fixture, I have the TEK 60" 6 bulb and love it so far.

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Almost was a 135 :DOH:

Coming along nicely Bob glad to see everything working out!

One recommendation I will make is quarantine all your fish :/ I lost all mine except my 2 clowns so now the 180 has to sit empty for at least 8 weeks :yikes:

The 135 is a perfect size tank for me. I would have loved the extra 2" height. Too bad it didnt work out. It was a nice road trip and a pleasure to meet you though.

I am sorry to hear about all your ich troubles. Things will come together for you. I have no doubt your tank is going to be awesome.
I am with you on quarantining all fish. I made that mistake a looong tim ago and lost my two favorite fish. Both were with me for 6-7 years prior to me adding a a unquarantined fish to my tank. I lost the new fish and both of them. I will never not quarantine. Sadly sometimes we have to learn the hard way.
I have a pair of clowns in my 20g QT tank now. They have been in there for 4+ weeks and doing great. They will be the first addition to the 125 when its ready. I posted a pic of them a few pages back, but here it is again :)

Attachments

• Clowns.jpg
    Clowns.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
24" stinks lol, Bob if you come back up this way when I got some frags for you you'll say HOW TALL DID YOU BUILD IT!

For me to get in to my tank and reach the bottom I need a step ladder :/, but at least I can view it without breaking my back.

I am setting up the QT now and will put both clowns in it for 10 weeks, hopefully they can recover. At least it gives me time to get my CUC in to remove any nasty algae and fine tune all the equipment.

Slow and steady, I am hoping by summer to have at least most of the fish I want in the tank and upwards of success from here on out.

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Brandon, I saw your stand in the garage when I was there. How tall is it?
I built mine 36" tall. The top of the tank is about the same height as my nose. I need a ladder to get in there as well.
Way to go getting your Clown's into QT. Hope all goes well for them.

Paulie (aka Mr. Nuts), Yep... Brandon is a character for sure!

So I went to install my RO unit under the sink tonight, and I can seem to find any of the at least three adjustable wrenches I own. :irked: It's amazing how many times I have to buy tools I already own. Hopefully I will find one before tomorrow or else I will have to buy another.
I also plan to dry fit my plumbing tonight. I will post pics before I glue it all together. I am doing PVC for the overflows and flex tubing for the return.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: