Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Good to hear, I just wrestled the 2 clowns out of my 180. I've decided to find a 40B or something setup for QT and ANY new fish will go in there, F trying to catch a fish once it is in already!

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
There is water in the tank!!! About an inch after many hours of watching the slow stream from my RO. I guess the old saying is true. A watched tank never fills :) .
Not much progress the past few days. The stand is level and the tank is filling. I still have to do the plumbing, but I have to commute to Jersey the rest of the week, so there won't be much time.
I got a new (used) skimmer today. A SWC Xtreme 200. My Aqua C has served me well, but I saw this for sale and decided it's time to try something new.

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I worked on my overflow plumbing a bit tonight. Unfortunately I got a little sloppy with the PVC Primer. I would have liked it to be cleaner :irked: .
The tank is almost full with RO water. Hopefully I can transfer my rock next weekend.

Here's a couple of pic's of the very little progress I have made since the last update.

Attachments

• P1020785-1.JPG
    P1020785-1.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 144
  • P1020783-1.JPG
    P1020783-1.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 147

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
You're almost there Bob.

Yeah....I finished the plumbing. I used flexible hose for he return. For now I have a barbed Tee fitting splitting off to the two returns. I have to order a "Y" fitting online. I tried to find one locally, but no luck. The water is about 1/4" from the slots in the overflow. So withing the hour I should have water flowing to the sump. Lets hope there are no leaks.

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The tank is full and running with fresh water. All is good so far. If everything stays leak free I will add salt tonight. Soon after that I can transfer the rock from 90 to the 125. Is 24hrs long enough to wait between mixing the salt and adding the rock?

Another task I have yet to do is rinse the sand. I'm not sure how to go about it with the cold weather and all. Anyone have any ideas?

I will post pics after the rock is done.

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Maybe do all new sand? Might stir up a whole bunch of nasties with the old sand.

I am using new sand in the 125. I guess I should have mentioned that. I am using the Seaflor speacial grade. The sand in the 90 is about 7 years old. I may add a scoop or 2 from the 90. Still undecided. Most of what is in the 90's sand is also in the rock. I may just let the rock seed the sand.

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Hey Bob, area you going to be adding the rock to all new water ? This might kill whatever is alive on it already, and start to cycle it again.

Thats the plan. The rock is in my 90 gallon, but the 90 is need of a HUGE water change. Although the 90 has been running for many years, there have been no inhabitants other than the things living in the rock (little star's, worms, etc.) I have fed the tank and there are tons of little critter, but I haven't kept up on water changes. Nitrates are through the roof.
I do believe I will end up with a cycle after I put the rock in the new tank. The rock is very well established, so I'm not sure how much of a cycle there will be. I took a piece of rock out to use to start my QT tank. I through a huge cocktail shrimp in for a couple of days as well which caused a Huge ammonia spike, but all levels were zero within 2 weeks. I still waited a couple of weeks after that to put fish in, and plan to do the same with the 125.
I just dont see any other way. If the 90 water had good parameter's it would be a no brainer, but sadly that is not the case.

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Bob how did you make out with the micro bubbles the other day, did you build the pvc?

I haven't built the pipe yet, but I did throw a filter sock on it last night. The sock completely got rid of the bubbles. I do want to build the pipe though. The less filter socks to clean the better. If I can keep it to the one sock in the skimmer section that would be great.
You were however right when you said earlier that I may have issues with my bubble trap spacing. I installed my skimmer last night and gave it a test run.
That thing is a micro bubble making machine! They had no problem making there way to the tank :irked:

James983

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Bob, I read your whole thread. Your setup looks great! Good luck with it.

On a side note, I don't think you'll have much if any cycle being that your using all your LR from your 90. I have done similar upgrades before without any problem.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: