marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Some times when you make thing to automate one thing could go wrong causing some thing else to act, in this case some thing must have started to drain water and the auto top off must have made up for the missing water. You would be surprised what damage you can do it a short time, not to mention an 8-12 hour period even if the tank is very large. The water if it drain outside would have either been absored by the ground, went into a drain or evaporated and depending on the type of ground mayn't have left hardy any trail.

Like Zahner said there are many other things some one could have done, and it would have been quicker, then to do a massive water change.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
assuming some one did kill his tank, why the water change?
if your that mad would not a couple of bottles of bleach do the trick much faster? who would stick around to do a 300 gallon water change?
the whole thing is just bizarre.

he made his last post sound like there was a conspiracy against his tank.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
It would actually be pretty cool if people were that motivated, but honestly, who the hell would do a 300g water change for someone else?

Some of these reef celebrities have some id/ego issues, this is a hobby, not the mafia.

Remember, you're not paranoid if they really are after you...

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
thinking that someone did this to his tank is maybe a way for him to deal with the whole situation. he didnt point out any names in public (not in the thread at least)...so let the man live. Let him speculate, its his way to deal with the situation. but his tank is gone, his passion is on the fringes...sad.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
psyhciatrist......... anyone got any numbas for him...

although im def. sad at the whole issue its funny how he couldnt say he made the mistake himself... and everyone believes him on there 2... i dunno but those poor corals...

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
froggiebunbun said:
thinking that someone did this to his tank is maybe a way for him to deal with the whole situation. he didnt point out any names in public (not in the thread at least)...so let the man live. Let him speculate, its his way to deal with the situation. but his tank is gone, his passion is on the fringes...sad.

I also read every post in Eric's thread. A very sad situation there. Both the loss of life and his thought process.

He has a 50 gpd RO/DI unit. So in 12 hrs it would only make 25 gallons of RO/DI for topoff. He never did water changes, so there was no need for a reservior of fresh topoff water. Everything was automated.

He apparently kept his fuge and sump in a shed outside his house (behind the tank). It had a lock on it, that day it was not locked.

For the salinity in his tank to drop that drastically, from 35 - 36 ppt to ~ 15 ppt is, according to Eric, impossible due to his 50 gpd RO/DI limitations.

His accusations of sabotage sound legitimate in light of the above facts.

However, now you have to take into consideration the method used to 'sabotage' his tank. A freakin massive water change!! In order to transport 300 gallons you'd need a MINIMUM of a 1 ton pickup (300 gallons x 7 lbs/gallon = 2100 lbs.) and that would be for water weight only. That's not such an unrealistic scenario, having a 1 ton pickup. So the only other way I can see transporting 300 gallons is in a tanker truck.

Eric mentioned he lives on the perimeter of a golf course. I would guess there's got to be neighbors around. SOMEONE should see all this strange activity in the middle of the day (sometime between 12 noon and 5 pm), or so you'd think.

Using a hose from his own house the perps would have to spend quite some time (well over an hour) to do the water change. Who in there right mind (not that a saboteur is in their 'right' mind) would spend that much time at someone else's house, vandalizing their tank like this, and no neighbors seeing 300 gallons of water being pumped into the street?

Gotta say, I'm unbelievably skeptical of the sabotage theory, as well as his own error. So I don't know the answer, but it's an extremely perplexing case IMO.

It sounds like an awful lot of trouble for vandals to who are obviously familiar with reefing (knowing to replace fresh for salt water) to go through. The couple of gallons of bleach would have been a whole lot simpler.

I think the police should ask Eric to do two things, take a lie detector test and submit himself for hypno therapy to get to the bottom of this. Otherwise, I don't think we'll ever know what really happened.

Such a shame, he was very highly regarded in the 'undersea world'.

swimmer

BTW - the reason for me to quote froggie, was to say that maybe this is his way of coping with his loss. However, getting a police report knowing it wasn't vandalism is a crime. If, that's what he did.

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Tonyscoots84 said:
hahahahahahaha yea right a 50gpd rodi... and people believe this BS 2...
:Up_to_som

Quoted from Erics post # 32987 on the Marine Depot BB:
But, we monitor salinity either every day or every other day and calcium and alklainity every day. My RO/Di has a 50gpd capacity. The day before the tank was, as it has for several years in a row, been a constant 35-36ppt. My autofiller was working, and without touching it since the event, is still working flawlessly.

Eric states he does zero water changes. The RO/DI was for FW topoff only.

I only quotes it as I reads it.

swimmer

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
I must admit after reading a little about this that if I wanted to destroy somebody's tank I wouldn't do it via a fresh water water change, :banghead: . So I must be doubtful that sabotage is involved. It is the method that brings doubt to my mind. For example if you wanted to kill a reef you could:

1. Pour bleach in the tank.
2. Pour copper in the tank.
3. Throw a couple of pennies in the tank.
4. Put a brass tube in the tank.
5. Pour any household soap in the tank.
6. Put dishwasher detergent in the tank.
7. Raise the level of the heater to 90oF.
8. Throw a lb of chopped meat (beef) in the tank.
9. Start a syphon and walk away.
10. Give the tank to Dave (spykes) for a weekend to look after.

Sorry Dave I couldn't resist the last one, :D .

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: