D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Im speechless as well ,can seem to think anyone would do that to someone or animals .I have tears in my eyes just reading that thread ,i never saw his tank ,but from what ive read it must have been one of the nicest.

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Same here Ronen, was getting teary eyed also :(

I lost many rare corals in the past and it was very hard to get over, i can't imagine ever come back after a loss this great.

Things like this even happen to the best........ I really believe someone messed with his tank, so sad...

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
Borneman found out i believe what happend. but im not too sure how or why or what he's talking about.

Well, sadly, I think the mystery has been solved.

Brandee was walking the dogs today and recalled that we had some water coming out of a french drain that runs the length beside the property next to the sump room and dumps next to our driveway. This happens often...if we sprinkle, my neighbor sprinkles, it rains, etc. Well, today while walking the dog she noticed that there were white streaks at the drain since its been dry. I immediately thought...salt deposits. Upon arriving home, I sampled it, tasted it, and its salt. The police are on their way out now.

some 1 clarify borneman language?

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
Remember the best have to look over their shoulder al the time ,Too many hater out in the world.The higher you are on the latter the longer the fall when someone pushes you off

Hope he get back on track ,He is an icon to the hobby and that would disappoint alot of his followers

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
aaron23 said:
Borneman found out i believe what happend. but im not too sure how or why or what he's talking about.

Well, sadly, I think the mystery has been solved.

Brandee was walking the dogs today and recalled that we had some water coming out of a french drain that runs the length beside the property next to the sump room and dumps next to our driveway. This happens often...if we sprinkle, my neighbor sprinkles, it rains, etc. Well, today while walking the dog she noticed that there were white streaks at the drain since its been dry. I immediately thought...salt deposits. Upon arriving home, I sampled it, tasted it, and its salt. The police are on their way out now.

some 1 clarify borneman language?
He attached a pic. There were big lines of salt creeps/residue from the drain out in front of his house. That means, someone somehow removed hundred of gallons of his tank water into the street flood drain and replaced his tank water with freshwater (he mentioned something about a garden hose being close to his entryway). Thats why his salinity was at 15ppt which is about 1.01-1.013 sg. Imagine coming home with salinity at 1.025-6 to 1.01....thats sabotage my friends.

Last edited:

GQ22

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
sounds like some dumped large amounts of salt water down a drain, and left salt deposits as evidence. if that is the case then refilled it with fresh water. damn that really sucks.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
To bad, but things like this have have happen to a # of LFS where people have put some thing into their systems and killed everything. People do it just for spite.

I lost a # of my fish about 10 years ago or so when an old women above me flooded her sink cause the celing to come down right on top of my tanks. I got all that junk, water, paint and what ever was in the celing right into my tank. Some fish die right away others over a short period of time. I had some of the fish over 10 - 15 years. It really tough to come home and see all that.

It just show you how easy it is to destory a setup that takes years to make.

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Thats horrible! Do you have a pic of what the tank looked like before hand? SOrry I couldn't find one...

Man I would be upset enough about my 16g thats been up for a year!

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I don't feel like reading the whole thread over there but did Eric explore the possibility of his own personal error or equipment malufunction being responsible for his loss? I think tank sabatoge maybe a bit far fetched.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jhale, after reading the thread it seemed at the end people were sceptical of intentional attack on the system and were grilling eric of issue that they did not know what they were talking about. He seemed to be getting annoyed towards the end of the thread and then closed it.

jackson6745, if you read the thread it seems he has gone through all of the possibilities. to loose the amount of salinity in 7 or so hours leaves not many other explanations. Everyone can make mistakes but it seemed he had a system in place to minimize issues. Plus he found salt creep at the end of his drive way. Read the thread it is definetly interesting. Because it was a long thread I only read Eric's posts, most of the other posters were relaying sympothy. Also He called the police and thought it to be suspicous as well and the police have an official case on the matter

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: