albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
QT for a week or 2, it will provide good stress relief and allow u to inspect it over several days. QT does not mean your fish wont die or have something manifest after you bring it home, it means you wont spread it.
a week or 2 is not long enough, and will NOT mean that "you won't spread it"!

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
T

I meant QT for observation and stress relief.

Naturally if you have a sick fish in QT than 2 weeks may or may not be sufficient, I meant QT for observation and stress relief.

I would not want to keep a fish that is eating, responding well, colored up, with no signs of disease in a small qt tank for more than 2 weeks.

I know ppl that keep fancy systems, sps systems and complicated aquascape systems probably have a 75 or larger holding tank in their basement or garage but most of us just dont have that.

I would also like to see a pet store or fish vendor that advertises that "QT of greater than 2 weeks", most say "just arrived, still in QT" and 2 or 3 days later they are selling them. What they mean is, acclimated, observed and eating.

a week or 2 is not long enough, and will NOT mean that "you won't spread it"!

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
last night i decided to not use the home depot container, its fine for holding fish but in thinking about it would make it difficult to analyze if the fish is well and does not show signs anywhere on its body.

I purchased a 10 glass tank and hang on back filter and Erythromicin (not gonna check spelling), should know within a week if the 4 dose treatment will work or not.

Frankly, I have to say that most of us do not QT simply because this hobby pushes us to want instant gratification, we want to see the fish or coral in our tank so we can admire it like right now.

I actually hid the 10 gallon tank, its out of plain sight. I dont really need to watch them, they have oxygen, heater, med in water and need a week of meds to show improvement and they are all eating still, no point in drowning in worry, if they make it great, will check them once per day to feed them.

I wont be able to QT a show size queen angel but will def be doing this going forward. I still have 4 anthias, another blond naso and a few other fish I want to add to my tank.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
[PDF OVERLAY][/PDF OVERLAY]Frankly, I have to say that most of us do not QT simply because this hobby pushes us to want instant gratification, we want to see the fish or coral in our tank so we can admire it like right now.

I wont be able to QT a show size queen angel but will def be doing this going forward. I still have 4 anthias, another blond naso and a few other fish I want to add to my tank.[PDF OVERLAY][/PDF OVERLAY]

Frankly it's time for you to start your own thread seriously.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
[PDF OVERLAY][/PDF OVERLAY]I meant QT for observation and stress relief.

Naturally if you have a sick fish in QT than 2 weeks may or may not be sufficient, I meant QT for observation and stress relief.

I would not want to keep a fish that is eating, responding well, colored up, with no signs of disease in a small qt tank for more than 2 weeks.

I know ppl that keep fancy systems, sps systems and complicated aquascape systems probably have a 75 or larger holding tank in their basement or garage but most of us just dont have that.

I would also like to see a pet store or fish vendor that advertises that "QT of greater than 2 weeks", most say "just arrived, still in QT" and 2 or 3 days later they are selling them. What they mean is, acclimated, observed and eating.

I don't even want to know what you mean by all this gibberish..

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
My tank is still cycling, but I'm wondering what/if anything the qt people use in the set up, or iis it simply observation before going in main display tank?

Separation and observation. If the new fish is sick or have a parasite you can treat it to prevent the illness or whatever from spreading. Read some of the above posts you may learn a thing or two. It's easier to treat a 20gal tank than a 200gal tank. I'm just saying.

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
My tank is still cycling, but I'm wondering what/if anything the qt people use in the set up, or iis it simply observation before going in main display tank?

Really depends on the fish. All tangs I would copper. But fish like mandarin's dont tolerate copper. Also some angelfish.
Hypo should only be used if u have an Ato.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Turbovr3six

HighTideCoral.com
Vendor
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I dont get many fish, but I get lots of corals. I "QT" everything, no exceptions.

Not everything goes into the hospital tanks though. :) Whenever I get anything new, It goes in a separate system and observed(QT). If healthy after a couple of weeks, it goes into the main system. If its sick its sent to the hospital until cured, and then back into the observation system(QT) for a couple of weeks to ensure health.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Not interested in starting "my own thread" rather be doing something else than maintaining a thread.

Thought it was an open share thread but I get it....no wonder people people skip you when you pm them trying to buy stuff, rude.

Its an open board genius, had this been a My Tank Thread type of stuff, I would understand, whatever...

unsubscribed, happy killing.

Frankly it's time for you to start your own thread seriously.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Separation and observation. If the new fish is sick or have a parasite you can treat it to prevent the illness or whatever from spreading. Read some of the above posts you may learn a thing or two. It's easier to treat a 20gal tank than a 200gal tank. I'm just saying.

Ive been following since you started this thread. I found some useful stuff in reading posts and having read them all will I will be leery about copper for fear of using too much and killing live stock. This is a good thread, I'm sure more will share experiences.

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
How can you tell the guy to copper treat all tangs and he didn't state that his fish had an illness?

Dre, was just saying that I would...its just my opinion. Tangs are ich magnets.

Want to see if your tank has ich? Drop a tang in. Especially from the Acanthuridae family.

Most people aren't going to qt/observe for 8-10 weeks. Depending on the stage of life, u might not see ich on a fish for weeks. People only notice the stage when ich is visible on the fish..

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every new fish goes thru .4-.5ppm cupramine for 3-4 weeks. + 1-2 one hr formalin dip.

even fish from DD(true personifer+achilles) goes thru the same QT regimen.

i have an achilles, pbt, and blue tang without ich. arguably the top 3 ich magnets. also a few angels.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: