jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
let me no when the plans are to go down ( of course there grandopening would be nice to attend) i will be down to drive and hang out with the community... :biggrin:

We'll find out if there's going to be any kind of opening party. otherwise after they open we can do a group trip.

Real question is are their prices going to be any better than House of Fins? I've seen bangaii cardinals there for $65 a piece, not a bargain by any means.

as for the pricing, the store is in greenwich so don't go expecting to see FT prices. do expect to see super healthy live stock that is cared for extremely well. the livestock will be going through a short QT period which is more than most stores do in our area. you have to keep in mind the aquarium stores are in business to make money. factor in the high rents they pay, plus all the other expenses and it's easy to undertand why they don't compete with online pricing. they could not exist if they did so it's not fair to compare the two. I do agree there are some stores that are higher priced than others, I did hear that this one was going to keep the livestock prices as low as they can, but again given the cost of doing business they can only be so low. I do prefer to see my livestock before I buy it, so to me it's a tradeoff. If they can get in the same quality SPS, LPS, and clams as some of the Cali online stores then I know where I'm going to be shopping!

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Honestly, shipping on e-bay is $50. The cheapest shipping I have found is sealife florida at $25. That really cuts into any savings you can get on line. As a newbie, I wouldn't mind paying the higher prices as long as the place is honest and reputable.

JasonE

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Jonathan,
I wanted to thank you for coming by yesterday! It was a pleasure having you over. And thank you for writing such nice things about my project!! As things keep rolling along you're welcome to come by and see the progress (and maybe have a beer next time!)
It's turned into quite the undertaking, even though I've been in the business for years, opening your own store is proving to be unbelievably challenging.
I hope that when I'm done, you'll all come and visit.
The concept is not (I think) your "typical aquarium store", from the way I want the corals to be displayed, through to the filtration, and product lines to carry. The livestock that I'll be carrying will be top of the line only, really focusing on the rare and hard to find stuff. That goes for the freshwater as well. I appreciate more than you know, the luck you wished me, and look forward to all of you coming up for a boozy evening!

Disgruntled ex-employees of House of Fins. I'm told they know what they are doing. I'm looking forward to checking it out. Randy
I do want to clarify, that though I used to manage HOF, I am by no means a digruntled ex employee. The time had come to move on, and, I believe, take it to the next level!

Jason

Kedd

25   0   0
OK I have no idea how to quote someone needs to tell me.

Kedd
Jonathan,
I wanted to thank you for coming by yesterday! It was a pleasure having you over. And thank you for writing such nice things about my project!! As things keep rolling along you're welcome to come by and see the progress (and maybe have a beer next time!)
It's turned into quite the undertaking, even though I've been in the business for years, opening your own store is proving to be unbelievably challenging.
I hope that when I'm done, you'll all come and visit.
The concept is not (I think) your "typical aquarium store", from the way I want the corals to be displayed, through to the filtration, and product lines to carry. The livestock that I'll be carrying will be top of the line only, really focusing on the rare and hard to find stuff. That goes for the freshwater as well. I appreciate more than you know, the luck you wished me, and
look forward to all of you coming up for a boozy evening!
I do want to clarify, that though I used to manage HOF, I am by no means a digruntled ex employee. The time had come to move on, and, I believe, take it to the next level!

Jason

Last edited:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
to quote: in the post you want to quote, click the quote button.

you will then see the dialog box with the quote.
make sure you type either above or under the quote, outside of the quote wraps, if you don't your text will appear inside the quote.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as for the pricing, the store is in greenwich so don't go expecting to see FT prices. do expect to see super healthy live stock that is cared for extremely well. the livestock will be going through a short QT period which is more than most stores do in our area. you have to keep in mind the aquarium stores are in business to make money. factor in the high rents they pay, plus all the other expenses and it's easy to undertand why they don't compete with online pricing. they could not exist if they did so it's not fair to compare the two. I do agree there are some stores that are higher priced than others, I did hear that this one was going to keep the livestock prices as low as they can, but again given the cost of doing business they can only be so low. I do prefer to see my livestock before I buy it, so to me it's a tradeoff. If they can get in the same quality SPS, LPS, and clams as some of the Cali online stores then I know where I'm going to be shopping!

I'm am not opposed to paying for quality at all. Country critters is on the expensive side but they have quality. I have been to HOF over several years and have seen it decline in quality but still have the same super prices. I understand the costs for that area but at a cheap lfs bangaii $15 a piece (fishtownusa) expensive lfs $35-40. HOF is $65. They have had several tanks the last time I was there covered in hair algae (smaller tanks in back opposite the large coral tank),dead fish in tanks and sick fish. So I question how long they are quaranting their fish. They also had a packed store with no one to help. They were only interested in helping out the customers in the tank show room across the road. They had all employees helping customers there and no help in the lifestock store. They will always go to a regular customer over you even if you have been in the store longer. I guess over the years I have developed a distaste for the store.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: