jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Last night I had the opportunity to visit a new aquarium store being built in Greenwich CT. It will be named the Greenwich Aquaria and is going to to be one amazing store!

The majority of the store will be devoted to salt water with coral being highlighted. There will also be a freshwater plants section for those that like that sort of thing :)

I met with the owner Jason and he gave me the philosophy behind the store. He wants it to be a place to hang out have a cup of coffee and talk about reefs. There is one display tank that will have a couch area and table for kids to sit at, just like ones living room. He will be selling only the best of high end reef equipment, and supplies. And will be stocking the best livestock he can get, and with his experience there should be some interesting stuff for sale. The pricing while not "online low" will be less than the competing stores in the area. The store will be open four days a week, Thursday through Sunday. The other three days will be devoted to receiving and unpacking livestock , maintaining the tanks, and running the tank service business Jason has built up.

Jason's years of experience setting up and caring for reef tanks in the Greenwich area really show in the store design. The show tanks are custom made and look absolutely beautiful. The store layout is well thought out, and the overall feel of the store is homey due to all the custom wood work they are putting in.

I for one am looking forward to having another reef store in the area run by someone who really knows what their doing. Jason is a great guy and I wish him the best of luck. There will be no pictures till the store opens as he does not want to give away any surprises, so you will all just have to be picture patient ;)

Greenwich Aquaria's planned opening is for Thanksgiving. There is still a lot of work to be done and I tip my hat to Jason for getting down and dirty and building out much of the store himself.

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
greenwich, CT.:sad2: that's one more store i won't be able to visit. sounds like it's gonna be an awesome place. let us know how it turns out once it's open for business.

Kedd

25   0   0
From what I've seen so far, this store is really going to be awsome.
I'm glad to see new ideas and a new look for a fish store in this area.
As far as "online prices" I'd rather see what I'm bying up close in person and pay a little more, just my thinking.

He should serve beer:givebeer: while while your shopping, just an idea LOL.

Kedd

Last edited:

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
According to mapquest its only 46 mins away, so the actual time is anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half pending traffic from me. so doesn't sound too bad. Almost like the trip to fishtown for those in manhattan and brooklyn area if you think about it.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
According to mapquest its only 46 mins away, so the actual time is anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half pending traffic from me. so doesn't sound too bad. Almost like the trip to fishtown for those in manhattan and brooklyn area if you think about it.

from downtown new york with no traffic I can get to greenwich in about 40 minutes. :shhh:

Kedd

25   0   0
It's going to be mid to late Nov. I think before the doors open.

I'll bet Jason would do some MR thing on his by appointment only day if people wanted to, once he's up and running

I think and I may be wrong, but 4 days open to the public and one day for appointment only, the other days are shipments and service.

Kedd

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
He should serve beer:givebeer: while while your shopping, just an idea LOL.

hmm, do you need a license if your giving away beer?
considering he told us he had to get a permit to tile the floor, that might be tough to do.
I'm sure a bottle of wine or a few beers while sitting on the couch will
go far for those nice big reef tank sales :)

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
If they are disgruntled ex-employees of house of fins than I believe this store will be pretty good. House has always had nice stuff but from the business side (without going into detail and I have personal experience) they do not have the greatest reputation on several levels. Is there an address for this place yet? Greenwich is right where I used to live and I'm in the area frequently would like to check it out.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: