griMReefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol yeah seriously on another thread people said/agreed even a 46 BF is too small for even ONE tang.

i think a regal angel need minimum around 50G juvenile and 100G adult.

i'm confused about tangs though because of the other thread.

whatver happened to that retailer that sold alot of fish in "true pairs" lol. exotic aquaria or something? like pair flame angel, pair royal gramma, pair pygmy angel, etc... i think they don't selll much fish anymore, and they realize all young angel are hermaphrodites like clowns.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Grim I feel that if you have an efficient means of nutrient removal to provide good water quality for fish (aka big skimmer) and your choice of fish are compatable, a larger fish in a small tank is not cruel.
It's the buttheads with 100ppm nitrates with 5 tangs in a 50 gal that gives us all a bad name :)

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
jackson6745 said:
It's the buttheads with 100ppm nitrates with 5 tangs in a 50 gal that gives us all a bad name :)

Are you describing my tank? :lol: :shhh:

I think you can pretty much keep most types of tang available in our LFS in a smaller aquarium, you will have to work pretty hard at maintaining the water quality to keep them happy.

Large skimmer(s) and lots of water changes is what I do to keep my 40 or so fish happy.;)

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
jackson6745 said:
Grim I feel that if you have an efficient means of nutrient removal to provide good water quality for fish (aka big skimmer) and your choice of fish are compatable, a larger fish in a small tank is not cruel.

Uh oh :Yikes: !! You may have just opened
PandorasBoxTitle.jpg

:bagfish:

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
cali_reef said:
Are you describing my tank? :lol: :shhh:

I think you can pretty much keep most types of tang available in our LFS in a smaller aquarium, you will have to work pretty hard at maintaining the water quality to keep them happy.

Large skimmer(s) and lots of water changes is what I do to keep my 40 or so fish happy.;)

Agreed if the water quailty is good, a crowded tank may not be a bad thing-at least for my FW tank. Fish in my crowded tanks are generally very happy except the real danger is that when there is outbreak of diease, it will spread extremely quick. It sometimes turns out that the fish are enslaving me rather soothing my tensions.

Last edited:

DRZL

**ROCKSTAR**
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Rich,

my "beef" with the whole thing is more about the lion in a shoebox problem, yea he can breathe nice clean air but it doesnt make him any less miserable. I seriously even have a problem looking at my clown and damsel in my 36G sometimes, feeling they look listless and have nowhere to go. Not to hug a tree or anything, but moderation is necessary because there are other things to consider you know?

Wingo,
no offense but arent you the person that has 51 fish in 55G Saltwater?

Last edited:

DRZL

**ROCKSTAR**
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
also, freshwater aquariums are a completely different beast from saltwater, you can put bioloads in freshwater tanks you couldnt (as well as shouldnt but thats my opinion) do with saltwater.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
griMReefer said:
i can't believe FT has RED SEA REGAL and PURPLE TANGS FOR JUST $40-$45!!!

to bad i vowed not to buy any sw from ft :(

Most of the purple looked really good, I would get one if my tank didn't have 12 tangs already:lol:.

Most of the regals looked good too but none of them were eating. There were a few large ones (4.5"+) for $59

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I went to FT last night after seeing the thread about the Purple Tangs.. I couldn't bring myself to buy anything with the sheer volume of dead fish they had in their tanks.

Granted stress is probably why most were dead, but I wont buy if I go someplace and see 5-10 dead fish per tank. And individual fish holding tanks with fish about to go belly up. A few of the tanks looked ok, but I wasn't ready tosepnd the money, and have a dead fish by the time I got home.

Rich

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: