Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
With all the talk about how FT traets their livestock why does everyone go there. I would rather spend more money on a specimin that has been treated well and housed well than spend it on something that has a greater chance ending up DOA from a store that stresses out their fish and doesn't acc their fish properly. Dead fish in a tank anything more than 1 is not caring for the tanks properly. If all they are dealing with is volume then they should assign 1 employee to DOA removal. Sorry for the rant but these are a few things I have been wanting to say for a while.

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I went last night because I had never been there myself. Another member Aaron23 stopped over to drop off some stuff I bought from him and we took the drive. I can't say I would "never" buy from FT, but I was discouraged last night. The fishfood was reasonably priced... so I bought some DTs and some Flake w/ garlic.

I was looking at Mandarins last night, but was too worried to buy.

NYReef

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi Rich, how are your tanks? I told you about FT, you'd be much better off going to Pets Warehouse in Copaigue (they have a website with directions), and further out, Suffolk reef and fish, Aqua Hut, and of course, Country Critters. At Country Critters and Suffolk Reef, they can be pricey but still fun to look at. The best selection and prices right now are at Pets Warehouse.

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I did check out Country Critter, bought a couple items from them. They were a little light the day I went, but were expecting a new shoippment that day. Just bad timing... no clowns or anything that day. I didn't look up the others, but will definately check them out on my next free Saturday.

Rich

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
cali_reef said:
Okay its a 55, you got me:irked:. Are you around Wednesday night? I want to come by and get the stuff keasi left for me. LMK so I can pack some stuff for you from my frag tank too.

I'm around call my cell.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Rborgia said:
I went to FT last night after seeing the thread about the Purple Tangs.. I couldn't bring myself to buy anything with the sheer volume of dead fish they had in their tanks.

Granted stress is probably why most were dead, but I wont buy if I go someplace and see 5-10 dead fish per tank. And individual fish holding tanks with fish about to go belly up. A few of the tanks looked ok, but I wasn't ready tosepnd the money, and have a dead fish by the time I got home.

Rich

Rich, you should see how wholesalers operate and how much dead fish is thrown out daily.. FT import their own fish so there will be a lot of initial die offs. I am not defending them because it is sad seeing bunch dead fish there last night my self.

Their prices are good since one layer of the markup is removed, you just have to be diligent in picking out the right fish and not let the dead ones bother you too much. Their available types of fish, quantity, and prices are hard to beat for this area.

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I understand Cali, for what I was looking for, I wasn't "WOWed" by what I saw.

now the Purple Tangs, nothing was dead there.. and they looked really nice, deep colors and very active. If I have a large tank, I would have bought one. They looked really nice.

The mantis they had was cool too... that thing was huge.. like 2 inches long... and he was smacking the holding container so hard you could hear it hit the tank.

I definately wont write them off, but I will definately be extremely cautious and make sure I buy what I feel is the "Best" fish out of the bunch.

thanks

Rich

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Chiefmcfuz said:
If all they are dealing with is volume then they should assign 1 employee to DOA removal.

Each time I've been to Fishtown, I had to wait in a line for a clerk to assist me in purchasing fish/coral. I couldn't imagine the lines if they had even less employees dedicated to assisting customers. Pierce and others have already tried to explain the DOAs; which I also have seen in other LFSs with less customers, less fish volume and higher prices. That's why I continue to visit FT.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
One warning\suggestion for buying from FT, drip acclimate and QT if you can. Their water is not not cleanest and they use A LOT of copper in their fish system(all the tanks except the smaller invert tanks in the middle), their salinity very from 1.015 to 1.023, I think it all depends on how much fish gets move out of the system that day.

inkblue

Rice Planter
Rating - 98.6%
145   2   0
FT today: lotS of tangs for tHose tang lovers. tHe purPLe tangs were nice and actiVe but biG, they wont fit in a 30G :joke: tHey had sexy sHrimps (smaLL) for liKe $7 i tHink, somE regaLs ($44-$50) left, good-sized oNEs, lotS of smaller mandariNs, soHals, etC, etC, etC... happY shoppin' aNd buy resPonsiBly...:bagfish: :usa1: aLso, tHey have a nice zoo coLony for liKe $50, but it was on a good-siZed brancH thingy...

inkblue

Rice Planter
Rating - 98.6%
145   2   0
cali_reef said:
One warning\suggestion for buying from FT, drip acclimate and QT if you can. Their water is not not cleanest and they use A LOT of copper in their fish system(all the tanks except the smaller invert tanks in the middle), their salinity very from 1.015 to 1.023, I think it all depends on how much fish gets move out of the system that day.

iS this wHy their water is s0 blue... :eek1::skull: i p0ured out the wateR from onE of tHe bags and it had a bluE tiNt to iT...:shocked:

NYReef

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi inkblue,

I checked out H20 after we met, its a super clean store. He has some nice stock but the owner told me he will be getting in so much more when the weather warms up. His dry goods were super pricey, for example, an Aquaclear 70 that is $30 at Aqua Hut was $70 at H2O! But the fish and coral seemed more in line with other stores, although most of the best looking stuff was in his show tanks and not for sale.:banghead: I'll check them out again in the spring, may it get here soon.

NYReef

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Aqua hut is the Coram shopping center off of route 112 on Long Island. Coram in in Suffolk county, about 50 mins. from Queens with light traffic.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: