henrystyle

Bad Mutha Shut Your mouth
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I'm resurrecting my thread god dammit. lol.
I believe I found the cause of my fish death problem. All along I thought it was either bacteria or parasites killing my fish. I believe now that my 30g top off water container that I got from a car wash is the cause of all my issues. It wasn't until I read this article that everything made sense. I washed the crap out of it but I guess that didn't help.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/drosera1/fish/illness.htm

So after about a year of fish dying and trying to figure this tank out, here I am.
Swapped out all the water today and replaced my top off container.
Also switching out my rock as well. Bought 100lbs of marco rock. (NICE ROCK)
Cemented everything together. Gonna hose it down and put it into the tank tomorrow.
Bought some 1/4" tubing so I can refill the tank a little faster...
Old top off. 30g
2011-03-27121205.jpg

new top off. 25g Thanks ChrisHew for the top off container removal idea..
2011-03-27121158.jpg

New rock. No need to drill frag plug holes. This rock has plenty of crevices. Very porous. Gonna look nice when the Coraline encrusts it. Filled a egg carton with the left over cement. Trying to make some half eggs to put some zoas on..
2011-03-27161538.jpg

line coming from my ro/di unit.
2011-03-27180312.jpg

Refill number 4 underway. Got my fingers crossed...
2011-03-27180300.jpg

Last edited:

henrystyle

Rating - 100%
36   0   0

henrystyle

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Side shot of the tank video.
Bought some more chromis and a purple tang. Sps frags growing and coloring up nicely. :D Sorry you have to tilt your head to the left to view this one. lol (click on the picture)

henrystyle

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
A lot of growth since I added my frags a month ago. Base of the frags are already fusing to the rock. Sps color starting to come out. Running those 14k cheap Artemis bulbs from ebay. Looks good. Coraline starting to take over the marco rock... No more fish dying. Problem solved!!
Purple tang looking better to. Was kinda beat up when I bought it. (Got it for cheap)
QT plus some 85% spirulina flakes I got from ebay via the UK seems to be working on him well. Quick to. My 2 tangs are scared of Nori. They wont go near it but they will eat any flakes, pellets or frozen food I put it there. Go figure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=_1gDgWcJlhs#

JARRETT SHARK

Addicted to coral
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I'm resurrecting my thread god dammit. lol.
I believe I found the cause of my fish death problem. All along I thought it was either bacteria or parasites killing my fish. I believe now that my 30g top off water container that I got from a car wash is the cause of all my issues. It wasn't until I read this article that everything made sense. I washed the crap out of it but I guess that didn't help.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/drosera1/fish/illness.htm

So after about a year of fish dying and trying to figure this tank out, here I am.
Swapped out all the water today and replaced my top off container.
Also switching out my rock as well. Bought 100lbs of marco rock. (NICE ROCK)
Cemented everything together. Gonna hose it down and put it into the tank tomorrow.
Bought some 1/4" tubing so I can refill the tank a little faster...
Old top off. 30g
2011-03-27121205.jpg

new top off. 25g Thanks ChrisHew for the top off container removal idea..
2011-03-27121158.jpg

New rock. No need to drill frag plug holes. This rock has plenty of crevices. Very porous. Gonna look nice when the Coraline encrusts it. Filled a egg carton with the left over cement. Trying to make some half eggs to put some zoas on..
2011-03-27161538.jpg

line coming from my ro/di unit.
2011-03-27180312.jpg

Refill number 4 underway. Got my fingers crossed...
2011-03-27180300.jpg

did you cut the top of your old 50gal bucket? i feel your pain...
I am about to switch from garbage cans to 50gal drums and i cut top of mine and power washed it like crazy but still feels like soap is on the walls
I think this was your main cause in your tank IMO. Can you send me that article you read. Thanks

JBL

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I just read through this entire thread, and WOW! Nice job dude!! Tank, stand, setup is simply amazing! As far as the container, I would not use anything that had other substances in it for anything in my tank. I even bleached my new 32 gal brute cans before using them. All you need is a slight trace of anything to seep in the water, and tank contamination!
Looking forward to the progress and nice pics!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: