Status
Not open for further replies.

romain

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Hey Guys and Gals,

I’m compiling a list of LFS on Long Island which I visited during the past years, in alphabetical order, for the convenience of our fellow and visiting reefers…

Animal Tailz
4080 Hempstead Turnpike
Bethpage, NY 11714
(516) 520-0040

Aqua Hut
254 Middle Country Road
Coram, NY 11727
(631) 433-0988

Aquarium Adventure
177 Glen Cove Road
Carle Place, NY11514
(516) 294-9699
http://www.aquariumadventure.com/

Country Critters
152 Medford Avenue (Rt.112)
Patchogue, NY11772
(631) 758-6777

Fishy Inc.
146 West Main Street
Bay Shore, NY11706
(631) 665-7500

Magic Isle
191 Centereach Mall
Centereach, NY11720
(631) 585-2939

Mega Pets
369 South Oyster Bay Road
Plainview, NY11803
(516) 932-7676

Mutts & Butts
2076 Merrick Road
Merrick, NY11566
(516) 379-6391

Pet Barn
212 Franklin Avenue,
Franklin Square, NY11010
(516) 775 8183

Pets of New Hyde Park
1335 Jericho Turnpike
New Hyde Park, NY11040
(516) 352-3592

Pets Warehouse
1550 Sunrise Highway
Copiague, NY11726
(631) 789-9300
http://www.pets-warehouse.com/

Pet Stop
741 West Jericho Turnpike
Huntington, NY11743
(631) 673-3666

Reefs & Rivers
92 East Jericho Turnpike
Mineola, NY11501
(516) 747-8078

SouthShore Tropical
463 Park Avenue
Lindenhurst, NY11757
(631) 225-6794

SuffolkCounty Fish & Reef
2402 Ocean Avenue
Ronkonkoma, NY11779
(631) 467-3474
http://www.suffolkcountyfishandreef.com/

Tropical Showcase
372 West Old Country Road
Hicksville, NY11801
(516) 433 0988

Last edited:

Dj Orion

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
my two favs are suffolk reef and fish and aquarium adventure. Suffolk reef and fish has a no frills vibe with fair prices on fish and coral. The staff are very helpfull and will take time out to answer honestly any questions that you may have. Plus their water quality and fish seem to be very good.

Aquarium adventure is a really nice storefront. They have a really good selection of corals and fish, however, they tend to get kind of expensive. If you catch this place during a sale, you can get up to 50% off retail. I got a $140 fish for 70 bucks! This place is also a division of Petland. So don't be fooled by their glamorous looks lol. They are the bastard child of the infamous Petland hehehe....

Country Critters is a mixed pet store, so it is not dedicated to just fish. They tend to have a large selection of fish and corals (and you are more likely to find something rare here) Their prices are a little steep for my taste. The store is not nearly as clean and organized as the the previous two. I did notice a few shady looking fish also when i was there. I was only there once tho, so dont let my judgment ruin your own.

If you live on Long Island and have not visited these stores, go out and check em out.

mclc26

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I think one of my favorite stores in Nassau County has to be Mutts and Butts in Merrick.. They have a great selection of corals, lots of SPS frags, a knowledgable & helpful staff, and prices aren't bad (get a membership card and get 10% off all purchases. They don't have a great selection of fish which is the only downside. My other favorite is Fishtown USA in Queens. Nice selection of coral and fish as well as drygoods with decent prices. Knowledgable staff, but sometimes have to fight to get their attention to be helped

Next down the list is Aquarium Adventure - nice store with a nice selection of fish ( a cool shark tank), a few corals, but prices can be expensive, especially for the limited amount of corals they have.

Pets-Warehouse is ok as well. They have a large selection of fish & drygoods, good amount of corals (not this past weekend though), prices are pretty good, especially on dry goods - staff is so-so...

Out of Long Island, my favorite store has to be New World Aquarium in NYC. Gorgeous selection of coral with some rare finds, as well as a good selection of fish. Staff is very knowledgeable. Only downside - very expensive prices - but can be worth it for a rare specimen.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Just to clarify. The petland you are thinking of is Neil's chain of stores in the tri-state area. The petland that is the actual parent company to aquarium adventure is the internationally largest pet chain in the world based out of Ohio.

Dj Orion

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I found another fish spot in L.I. that is def worth posting on the site. It is called magic Isle. Although my visit there was rather brief, I was happy to find very fair priced fish and corals. They even had a few horseshoe crabs (took me back to my youthfull days on the beach) and other odd finds. Go check it out...

Magic Isle
205 Centereach mall rte. 25
Centereach, ny 11720

(its in the Wallmart shopping center if that helps at all...)

cooksalot

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I found another fish spot in L.I. that is def worth posting on the site. It is called magic Isle. Although my visit there was rather brief, I was happy to find very fair priced fish and corals. They even had a few horseshoe crabs (took me back to my youthfull days on the beach) and other odd finds. Go check it out...

Magic Isle
205 Centereach mall rte. 25
Centereach, ny 11720

(its in the Wallmart shopping center if that helps at all...)

i have to agree...i had never heard of this store, but just took a ride out there yesterday because i had been searching all over the island for some dwarf puffers. someone on another forum told me they had them, and i had no idea what kind of store i was headed for, but i was pleasantly surprised...nice livestock, nice selection, and good prices, even on their dry goods. i will definitely go back to spend a little more time there.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Guys, Magic Isle is dodgy. When they have a good SW-knowledgeable employee caring for the tanks, they start to look good. Most of the time, though, the fish are ill or starving, the inverts are iffy and forget corals. They have ore than once tried to sell me "a great little anemone" (Aiptasia). I want to cry when I go in there, so most of the time I avoid it. I'm hoping what you saw is a permanent trend towards the better.

Their freshwater stuff, on the other hand, is quite good--great selection, reasonably priced, etc. It's that the owner is really a pond/fw guy.

Mike B

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropical Showcase is on Old Country Road in Hicksville; it is approx. 1 mile east of the Wantagh Pkwy and approx. 2 miles west of Newbridge Rd (rt 106). It is on the north side of the street across from a school.

wild fin

chef
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropical Showcase is on Old Country Road in Hicksville; it is approx. 1 mile east of the Wantagh Pkwy and approx. 2 miles west of Newbridge Rd (rt 106). It is on the north side of the street across from a school.

yeah its just west of the volkswagon dealership. his fish are gourgous, spotless. kinda small holding tanks. but gorgous fish...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: