saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
First off i want everyone to know that I do not work for m.a. In any way shape or form!

Today was the day that I went into manhattan aquariums with my wife and kids and was left with a memorable experience , I went in just to show my family what all the fuss was about and between my wife pointing out what she wanted from acros to acans and clams to my kids looking all over the frag tanks I didn't know what to do .

Cool enough I was greated at the door by an employee who was ever so friendly as he spoke with another customer , I ran into our great friend James who was also shopping the scene for goods , but to make this story short I had a great time shopping around the store and what stands out the most is how A real nice employee named George a.k.a. Young reef I believe was his screen name helped my 2 year old son pick out his new clown fish one black and one orange , and he took his time handling them and that is the difference between this great shop and others ! Pride in the hobby and a love for both customer and fish! Thanks again george and everyone at manhattan aquariums for making today a great day and earning a new family of customers you guys are the best and it shows.

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I love manhattan aquariums! I usually only go on Sunday when Kevin (faviafreak) works because he is a cool guy just to talk reef about and all. How can you NOT buy stuff from them. Even if you go to look, you will most likely walk out with a few frags. How can you beat 5 bucks or 10 bucks for a frag! Love those guys. Awesome place. They are an hour and a half from me and its so worth the trip!

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
testexposurefusion.jpg

pweissma

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I'm a big fan of the place too. Great staff. I trust them. There's a new guy on the floor there, Roy, been there about 4 months. He's helped me out quite a bit with a Carpenter's wrasse I got there a couple weeks ago. A week or so prior I called asking about carpenters and mccoskers wrasses. They told me they had a couple at the store but were nothing special and suggested holding off.

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Eddie, The thing is that whenever you go there you will be treated well and will see some MR members there (like the rafflemeister herself and the always pretty cupcake ;) . But, I bet you didn't know that while you were there today you had....
the boss man himself Josh from MR (ok you did know this because he posted in this thread but whatever)
Randy from Pratt, advance aquarist mag, reefs magazine, etc
Rich Ross (from california academy of science here for a guest lecture at BAS who tends to their 212k gallon reef)
Joe Y (curator and founder of Atlantis Marine World and their amazing 20k reef)
and Bob Stark who founded a little company called ESV, don't know if you heard of it.

To put it short, yeah, you were in good company (clearly cause you saw me there
). ;)

Today was the first time I didn't go home with a frag because I was in a rush and left without remembering the frag I put on hold with George!

Last edited:

tentacles

cephalopod enthusiast
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
You will NEVER have a bad experience at MA. Every single person that works there is knowledgable, helpful and extremely polite. Out of the many, many times I have been there, I have never once felt pressured into buying anything, or that they just saw me as a bunch of dollar signs $$$. It's refreshing to have a store that is honest with you and flexible. I've gone in and looked at frags and had the sales person say "you don't want that one, it's not looking so hot, let me go frag you a better piece." And honestly, their prices are really reasonable. Sure, some things like large colonies and scolys are expensive (as they should be!), but I've never found the markup to be astronomical.
They keep their prices right where they should be.

I really miss being able to go every weekend since I've moved out of the city (hint hint, MA, open up a store on LI! I've been severely underwhelmed with the LFS out here!)

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
Yeah if m.a. Opened up more stores I'm pretty sure they would save us from the vultures out there that sell things to people without the hobby in mind, like the jerk who sold me a red chocolate chip starfish and told me it was reef safe , lord knows those harlequins earned that meal .

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
By far my favorite LFS in the city. Incredible livestock, knowledgable helpful staff, greatly improved dry goods section, and beautiful tanks! They are everything that a good LFS should be, and they have truly earned their great reputation.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
First off i want everyone to know that I do not work for m.a. In any way shape or form!

Today was the day that I went into manhattan aquariums with my wife and kids and was left with a memorable experience , I went in just to show my family what all the fuss was about and between my wife pointing out what she wanted from acros to acans and clams to my kids looking all over the frag tanks I didn't know what to do .

Cool enough I was greated at the door by an employee who was ever so friendly as he spoke with another customer , I ran into our great friend James who was also shopping the scene for goods , but to make this story short I had a great time shopping around the store and what stands out the most is how A real nice employee named George a.k.a. Young reef I believe was his screen name helped my 2 year old son pick out his new clown fish one black and one orange , and he took his time handling them and that is the difference between this great shop and others ! Pride in the hobby and a love for both customer and fish! Thanks again george and everyone at manhattan aquariums for making today a great day and earning a new family of customers you guys are the best and it shows.

Ahhh, so that was you with your daughter and your adorable son who is into Spiderman ;) Wish I'd known that was you!
You were definitely in good company there yesterday!!

MA is truly a great store!

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
It's amazing that we seem surprised and delighted at good customer service these days, from any business. Sadly, it's become the exception and not the norm. It's always good that we compliment the good places when appropriate since it's easier to trash places when things don't go as expected.

CheckSix187

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Hey man Im 99% sure I was in there with you, we got there around 4:30-ish, It was my girlfriend and I, in fact I think we even stood with you and your family at a crosswalk! haha

And I have to completely agree with you. We love it so much that we travel from Poughkeepsie NY!

CheckSix187

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ahhh, so that was you with your daughter and your adorable son who is into Spiderman ;) Wish I'd known that was you!
You were definitely in good company there yesterday!!

MA is truly a great store!

Kathy! You were there to! Were you the one picking out a frag right across the 20' tank from me! Like 3 feet away!? I was a tall-ish guy in a black jacket and red shoes with a girl haha

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I have had 3 personal bad experiences there myself. It's a good thing I didn't wait on that light fixture they promised me. 2 weeks later they call me and tell me nope we can't sell you that one after calling me 4 times during those 2 weeks to confirm the price and pickup time on it. Not to mention the Anthias that were on sale but I was told nothing about it even whne I told them I was a MR member. Then a week later they change their mind and wanna make good on the price.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: