Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
So the puppy went to the vet Sunday, turns out it may have parvovirus.

Basically we took him to one vet in east hanover, they closed at 4 so said to take it to the emergency vet in fairfield. Took him to the emergency in fairfield and now today he is at our regular vet.

CIA

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I wish your pup a speedy recovery. How is it doing today?

Before you pick up the pup did you tell the breeder about your parvo situation?

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I wish your pup a speedy recovery. How is it doing today?

Before you pick up the pup did you tell the breeder about your parvo situation?

I rushed the puppy to the vet in East Hanover's petsmart yesterday they did two parvovirus tests and they both came back positive.

They were closing at 4 and rushed me out saying take the dog to the emergency vet. I rushed him to the emergency vet where they kept him over night.

They did a test of his white blood cells etc. and everything was stable, they kept him overnight and on fluids via IV.

This morning I transferred him to my regular vet, where he will be under watch. The vet said that by Wednesday he may be able to come back home.

Now the thing is they do not know it is parvovirus 100% since he is vaccinated it may be a false positive, especially since he had the vaccination.

The thing is that since i had the puppy that died of parvovirus they are treating it as parvo-suspect and taking all the precautions to ensure he is alright.

The only symptoms he showed on Sunday were not eating & diarrhea in his stool. He was still drinking water at the point I rushed him to the vet.

So HOPEFULLY we caught it either early or it is not parvo at all and just a bad virus. If I lose this dog I will BE CRUSHED and not sure what I will do, but I am staying hopeful.

The VET told me as long as it has its vaccinations it would be fine from the parvovirus. Also the breeder was aware of the presence of parvovirus in my household, but assured me he was vaccinated against it.

About $3,000+ in vet bills later if this dog does not pull through I have no idea what I will do. It isn't about the money, but I CANNOT GO THROUGH LOSING ANOTHER DOG.

I am sitting awake hoping and praying he makes it through it. I just want him back in my arms and know he is okay and safe. If the vet and breeder did not assure me that he would have been okay from the virus due to the vaccinations I would never have risked this dog's life. Granted I may be heartbroken from losing my old dog and the puppy, I would never wish having to go through this ordeal on anyone ever!

Ninja

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a Johnson type AB? ABs can be dog agressive but its all about early socialization. Best of luck with the pup and def enroll in a puppy class- best way to start off.

Ninja

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brando- so sorry to hear that. Is it possible for the vet to keep him there. This way you can be sure there are no traces of it near your home. Also this way he would be monitored 24/7 - just an idea but please update

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Brando- so sorry to hear that. Is it possible for the vet to keep him there. This way you can be sure there are no traces of it near your home. Also this way he would be monitored 24/7 - just an idea but please update

The vet is keeping him there until it is okay for him to come home... hopefully he recovers. He will be back in at 9:00 AM tomorrow and be getting a phone cal first thing!

The parvovirus can be present from my understanding anywhere from 6 months up to 7 years... depending what you go with.

He is under the vet care at this point and "should" pull through. I have been up crying and praying all night, I cannot deal with this again it is just too much.

CIA

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Brando, hang in there. He should pull through. Sending you good vibes. In the meantime bleach the hell out of everything in the house and yard. Bleach is the only cleaner that kills the parvo virus. Google the concentration you should use.

Herdr, did the puppy arrive? What to see some pictures.

Ninja

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If hes at the vet then Im sure he'll make it through. Just make sure you clean out your place to be sure that the bacteria is eliminated. It might be a good idea to have a certain area or restricted place for the puppy- this will keep him in a safe zone and also let you get an idea of where hes been around the house.

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
If hes at the vet then Im sure he'll make it through. Just make sure you clean out your place to be sure that the bacteria is eliminated. It might be a good idea to have a certain area or restricted place for the puppy- this will keep him in a safe zone and also let you get an idea of where hes been around the house.

The vet said if he beats it then he'll be safe from it. Basically we could bleach the crap out of everything but the fact it was on his feces and he had a few accidents in the house then trekked through our shoes etc. It most likely is all over.

What I am going to have to do is bring him home and then no one with puppies or anything is allowed in the house for 5 months.

As of today he is no longer vomiting, but developed diarrhea.

Hecdr34

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
252   0   0
Brando, hang in there. He should pull through. Sending you good vibes. In the meantime bleach the hell out of everything in the house and yard. Bleach is the only cleaner that kills the parvo virus. Google the concentration you should use.

The puppy has not arrived. The shipper had some family problems and she will be delivering him here by Sunday. I am very upset because he will be almost 11 weeks by the time I get him and I wanted to start training him at 9 weeks. Lets see what happens when he gets here

Hecdr34

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
252   0   0
The vet said if he beats it then he'll be safe from it. Basically we could bleach the crap out of everything but the fact it was on his feces and he had a few accidents in the house then trekked through our shoes etc. It most likely is all over.

What I am going to have to do is bring him home and then no one with puppies or anything is allowed in the house for 5 months.

As of today he is no longer vomiting, but developed diarrhea.

does that mean he's getting better?

Hecdr34

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
252   0   0

She did send me 2 new pictures though. He looks so much older in only two weeks.

Attachments

• SL380011.jpg
    SL380011.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 87
  • SL380015-1.jpg
    SL380015-1.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 82

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: