Status
Not open for further replies.

Jkedra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you have a PC, throw it out. I am happy to say that I'm now 100% MAC, and I have no regrets. Your pictures of your aquarium and etc. are MUCH better looking then on those crappy PCs. The first time I ever saw a picture on MAC, I knew I had to switch. Not to mention the instant on/off, fast OS, and just BETTER than PC (stands for piece of crap) AND you will never have to troubleshoot a PC again and waste all that time.

I currently have the 27 in. iMac, 17 in. MacbookPro, the 13 in. Macbook Air, Apple TV, and an iPad. Thats how much I love these apple products.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
While I do think that Apple monitors are of very good quality, I can't agree that Macs are worth the price. Sure, MacOS did a great OS eons before Windows finally did (with Windows 7) but in my opinion they are way overpriced for what they deliver. Sometimes when I meet photographers they think I'm crazy working on a PC, but for the price of the cheapest MacPro I can have a very powerful PC with two NEC displays or even an Eizo and NEC. Don't get me wrong, Macs are very good and user-friendly, but Apple makes money mainly because of the hype of having a Mac rather than for what they deliver. However, I have to admit that their marketing people did hell lot of a job-from a company that was on the edge of bankruptcy to a trend icon. Anyway, I'm staying with PC and if you really want to see a good display, check Eizo or high-end NECs.

Jkedra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The only GOOD PCs there are are the insane liquid cooled ones. Those are the best. And not only does MAC have a good monitor, it has tons of other features. That was just one of the many examples. Trust me I HATED macs for some reason, but I went to the store, tried it out and absolutely loved it.

Levito

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
absolutely no need to have both platforms. you can do everything on a mac you can do with a pc. Sure, some apps are pc only, but there's always a mac equivalent.
mac monitors are a whole other thing, they can certainly be matched by other monitors though.
I can't disagree that macs are overpriced, though. But after all the frustration I've been through with PCs over the years, I'm glad to be running osx for the past few years.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
PCs are far cheaper but the Windows OS just won't let you really crank it like the Mac. There is so much bloat in Win7 it is ridiculous, I have one VM for my Windows programs that have no Mac equivalent and that is all I am willing to tolerate from Microsoft.

That being said, Apple has no relevance in datacenters or server based environments. Even with Xgrid and Xsan, you are still not going to perform as well as a bunch of off the shelf parts let alone any other major server manufacturer.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
.... you can do everything on a mac you can do with a pc. Sure, some apps are pc only, but there's always a mac equivalent.

Thats not true now. I've yet to see a 3d rendering program on the mac beat out a linux or win version. If your only browsing the net and playing games sure get a mac but anything with heavy number crunching or heavy scripting linux/windows beats MAC hands down. The GUI isn't built for that purpose. Do you know of any hackers using MAC's without emulating another platform?

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
PCs are far cheaper but the Windows OS just won't let you really crank it like the Mac. There is so much bloat in Win7 it is ridiculous, I have one VM for my Windows programs that have no Mac equivalent and that is all I am willing to tolerate from Microsoft.

That being said, Apple has no relevance in datacenters or server based environments. Even with Xgrid and Xsan, you are still not going to perform as well as a bunch of off the shelf parts let alone any other major server manufacturer.
Josh, do you use Linux? You sound like you'd enjoy having a PC (funny how "personal computer" is now somehow the antithesis of a Mac... lol) running a leaner OS. Familiarity with the platform isn't a must - you can find most of what you need online.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
What does liquid cooling have to do with how good a computer is? Anyone can drill holes in a tower and run some tubing and a pump.

As far as monitors go, you can hook almost anything to a PC. I have a friend that has a 60" 1080p flatscreen for a monitor... because he can.

As far as I know, PCs are also far more expandable than any mac. So you don't have to buy a whole new unit, you can just upgrade parts as you go.

ramz28

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Ive been usings pcs and mac for a while now. I hate macs, apple in general. lol apple is so over hyped. Like every1 else said theyre way over priced, what happend to best bang for your buck? I have 2 pcs 1 is connected to a 40 sony bravia and 1 to a 55 samsung. with blu ray. My mac is sittin collectin dust. PCs can out perform a mac anyday of the week for half the price! oh and water cooling is great but not a cheap thing to do.

Jkedra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
pcs have been around longer than macs. That's why people love them so much. They have never been exposed to a mac. As for the liquid cooled pcs, by that I meant that they are the nicest pcs. We can all agree that pcs overheat so much that they can literally explode.

inkblue

Rice Planter
Rating - 98.6%
145   2   0
th_eating_popcorn.gif

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
pcs have been around longer than macs. That's why people love them so much. They have never been exposed to a mac. As for the liquid cooled pcs, by that I meant that they are the nicest pcs. We can all agree that pcs overheat so much that they can literally explode.

I still don't get why liquid cooled pcs are the nicest. And I've never had an overheating pc in my life and I put together at least 20 of them. It all depends, if you have a powerful machine, you need to have adequate cooling. Did you see PowerMAcs? They are monstrous and they have big fans to cool the thing.

Long-Island-Mike

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I love my Mac, I purchased my mac book pro 2 years ago. Its as fast today as it was the day I bought it. I am sold forever on mac. I have the apple TV, time capsule, I phone, I pad, I pod touch they are all awesome! They all work together, its great!

James404

MH for Life!
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
When at home I use all apple devices, my two custom built PCs collect dust. I currently have 17" Macbook pro, iPhone and iPad. I am a network analyst and work on windows machines and servers every day, when I come home I don't want to be bothered with all of windows nonsense including spyware, viruses etc.. I want something that just works. I can't tell you how many people I work with used to scoff at any apple devices, most of them are now owners of them. The only time I use windows at home is if I have to remote into my job since it doesn't support safari so I use bootcamp with Win 7.

FocusReefing

Just a podcaster from Queens
Rating - 100%
17   0   0

Who has never been exposed to apple products?... I cant spit without hitting a mac advertisment. Lets not forget the apple sotres & Mac section at BestBuy. I am a PC for life. I find that most people are drawn to them because apple has put countless efforts into marketing themselves as trendy tech devices that match seamlessly with your decor! As for the way pictures look, (as someone mentioned earlier) Eizo makes great monitors with far better control over color adjustment/calibration. But to each his own I guess.

Oh and Im pretty sure apple has been around for a while as well...

Jkedra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
lets not forget all those viruses pcs get. All these anti viruses are a joke. I know a person who gets around firewalls and some of the ''best'' antiviruses for pcs. The mac OS is secure and complex and simply better. Plus as Mike mentioned they work together great.

Again, as for the liquid cooled pcs, those are just the best pcs in my opinion cause they have monsterous hardware like memory, RAM, etc.

they should sell all other pcs with a teapot for free : ) just boil some water while you work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: