twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking @ Plumbing

I am new to this. I took the drawing of my sump (should be in next week) and started to play around a little bit. Connections are marked red ovals. The green ovals come with the ball valve so I am not concerned about those.
I am going to need help with this. Some kind soul take pity on me and dumb it way down please!

iU1nm.jpg

Questions.
1.) How to attach to the bulkheads that CAD supplies? (they might be crap and I maybe replacing those as well.) Unions? Slip? Threaded? Glue them?
2.) How do I handle the 90 degree bends on the drain. Do I just prime then cement the 90 deg elbows on both sides or do I use a coupler in between & only glue one side for easy dis-assembly?
3.) How do I attach the 3/4" hard line to the return pump to allow it to be removed easily.
4.) How do I handle both sides of the 3/4" George Fischer WYE Valve for easy removal and cleaning?

Thanks!

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The WYE is to stop water from coming back down the return when the pump is off and flooding the sump.
The return is going to be lower then the drain in the tank and the sump water level is yet to be determined.
The WYE is extra insurance.

I can remove the WYE before I finalize all the plumbing. I need the tank to be delivered so I can judge the height of the return line exiting the overflow wall versus the height of the durso drain inside the overflow.

The tank should ship this Wednesday.

savage

Reef for life. .
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I used mine bulkhead with no problem.. drain pipe go with 45 degrees elbow give it much easier slope to your first stage also 1 union help u take it apart ....as far as you return line put a union ball valve on your motor..Now the check valve?? It made that way so you can glue it on your pvc pipes and use the cap end to clean the valve.. Good luck on your build...

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights - shipping today 2/29/12.
Skimmer - allegedly shipping today 2/29/12.
Tank - allegedly shipping today 2/29/12.
Sump - shipping Friday 3/2/12.
Stand - In talks with local guy for an ADA style stand completed stand not expected for 3-4 weeks.
Plumbing - TBD

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[font="#092Franklin Gothic Medium#092"]Looking @ Water Changes Part I

So the tank size is 36x18x18 which comes out to 50.5 gallons holding water. We all know however that the tank volume is cut into my both the overflow and having the water level be somewhere 1" below the tank rim. Given that I am adjusting the tank holding size from 36x18x18 to approx 36x17x18 which gives us 47.7 gallons holding water in the display. I am not adjusting that number down further to compensate for the overflow. We get into splitting hairs there. 47.7 is the number I am rolling with.

So the sump size is 30x15x15 which comes out to 29.2 gallons holding water. We all know however that this sump will not be full but rather probably only 10 inches high of water. Also the last chamber is an ATO and should not be included in the sump holding capacity calculation. So lets take the full sump size of 30x15x15 and adjust it down to 30x10x15 to account for the (anticipated) lower water height running through the system. Then lets further adjust is down to 26.5x10x15 subtracting out the 3.5" wide portion of the ATO chamber. We can now estimate that the sump will around 17.2 gallons of water.

nFSdg.jpg

I plan on doing a 20% water change every 10-12 days.
I will need two containers that will hold approxinmatley 15 gallons each.
My plan is to have two containers with removable bases that have wheels.

1.) I add 15g of RODI to one and salt to 1.025 in my laundry room and let heat/mix overnight.
2.) I will then roll both containers over to the tank.
3.) I will place a MJ1200 pump with vinyl tubbing attached into the display and pump out 10g into the empty container.
4.) I will siphon off the last 5 gallons from the sump.
5.) I will then place the MJ1200 into the new water container and pump all 15g back into the display.
6.) I will then wheel both buckets in my laundry room, flip the MJ1200 into the waste water container and pump it back up into my slop sink to discard.

I thought about making a cart like Urbaneks did here but I would rather have wheels on the individual containers so I can save space and remove base/wheels when done and stack containers inside one another.

Now to find some 15g round, open top containers that I can find removable bases for that have wheels.

[/font]

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[font="#092Franklin Gothic Medium#092"]Looking @ Water Changes Part II

I thought about making a cart like Urbaneks did here but I would rather have wheels on the individual containers so I can save space and remove base/wheels when done and stack containers inside one another.

I like the Rubbermaid Brute units.
They do not make one in 15g.
They make 10/20/32.
Here is my analysis of size and pricing for all three of those sizes.

qLp4h.jpg

The 20g is the right fit for me.
If I want to save some money I can DIY a cart for two of these or DIY two indivdual bases for them with wheels. If I do not want to DIY here is the cost involved.

jcMoq.jpg

These units and the process outlined in Looking @ Water Changes Part I will
allow me to change 15g of water every 10-12 days without lifting.

Research Link
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/default.aspx?catid=765&clickid=popcorn

10 Gallon Home Depot
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...talogId=10053&productId=100643602&R=100643602
20 Gallon Home Depot
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...alogId=10053&R=100642677&catEntryId=100642677
32 Gallon Home Depot
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...langId=-1&keyword=Rubbermaid 32&storeId=10051
RubberMaid Dolly
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...gId=-1&keyword=rubbermaid dolly&storeId=10051

[/font]

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I did something similar when I had my 75 setup. I had a 15 gal rubbermaid container on a dolly I made. I used a bathroom as my fishroom and it was across the house from my tank. It was sooo nice not lugging buckets back and forth

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking @ Water Changes Part III

Why have two 20 gallons and two dolly's taking up space when eventually the waste water will sit in one for 30mins then be going down the drain?

I am now leaning towards one 20 gallon on a dolly for mixing new SW, moving it to the tank & then pumping it up and into the display. No longer will I drain off water into another 20g with dolly alongside of it because I will use the Aquarium Water Changer - 50 ft to accomplish that task. 50 feet should make it from my tank to the utility room and I am all for saving space. This also saves me $7.38

Sd14K.jpg

Research Link(s):

Aquarium Water Changer - 50 ft
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/review/product/list/id/1739/

20 Gallon Home Depot
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...alogId=10053&R=100642677&catEntryId=100642677

RubberMaid Dolly
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...gId=-1&keyword=rubbermaid dolly&storeId=10051

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[font="#092Franklin Gothic Medium#092"]Looking @ Completed Sump

Tyler really did a nice job here. Communication has been top notch. He has addressed all my concerns and been very flexible. Highly recommended. The unit should be shipping Monday 3/5/12.

He made the decision to make the fuge a little smaller then the drawing because when he actually got everything cut and was laying it out the skimmer section looked too small and he was worried my skimmer would not fit, so he made the fuge a little smaller. Also he put the heater brackets in the fuge because he felt that is the only place they would fit without interfering with my skimmer and return pump. In the picture showing the Tunze ATO there is a bracket that the black tube will plug into, the bracket was just a little to fresh to attach the hose for the pics.

Forgive the slightly dusty pictures.

MfDn8.jpg

NfOuJ.jpg

EmERK.jpg

oFml9.jpg

Seeking comments good or bad!

[/font]

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Fishman1069.

Sump looks great but this is my 1st sump I ever had.
I had to make some design choices now that my effect my tank down the road.
What would any1 else have done different with the sump?
I am not sure what/if I am going to dose so I left that out.

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
[FONT=#092Franklin Gothic Medium#092]Looking @ Completed Sump[/FONT]

[FONT=#092Franklin Gothic Medium#092]Tyler really did a nice job here. Communication has been top notch. He has addressed all my concerns and been very flexible. Highly recommended. The unit should be shipping Monday 3/5/12.[/FONT]

[FONT=#092Franklin Gothic Medium#092]He made the decision to make the fuge a little smaller then the drawing because when he actually got everything cut and was laying it out the skimmer section looked too small and he was worried my skimmer would not fit, so he made the fuge a little smaller. Also he put the heater brackets in the fuge because he felt that is the only place they would fit without interfering with my skimmer and return pump. In the picture showing the Tunze ATO there is a bracket that the black tube will plug into, the bracket was just a little to fresh to attach the hose for the pics.[/FONT]

[FONT=#092Franklin Gothic Medium#092]Forgive the slightly dusty pictures.[/FONT]

[FONT=#092Franklin Gothic Medium#092]
MfDn8.jpg
[/FONT]

NfOuJ.jpg
[/FONT]

EmERK.jpg
[/FONT]

oFml9.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=#092Franklin Gothic Medium#092]Seeking comments good or bad![/FONT]

Never heard of them before. The sump with the built in reservoir and hanging brackets for the heaters looks great.

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kenconnect feel free to copy, I am stealing your light mount orientation.
The link for the mat is in that post. I found some local at Sports Authority
but all were in girls colors or had floral prints.

Macropora thanks for the compliment. Tyler and Elite Aquatics is located in Utah.
I got them off a reference on NanoReef. I cant say enough good things. I just want to get the sump in hand! http://elite-aquatics.net/

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking @ Water Changes Part III

Why have two 20 gallons and two dolly's taking up space when eventually the waste water will sit in one for 30mins then be going down the drain?

I am now leaning towards one 20 gallon on a dolly for mixing new SW, moving it to the tank & then pumping it up and into the display. No longer will I drain off water into another 20g with dolly alongside of it because I will use the Aquarium Water Changer - 50 ft to accomplish that task. 50 feet should make it from my tank to the utility room and I am all for saving space. This also saves me $7.38

Sd14K.jpg

Research Link(s):

Aquarium Water Changer - 50 ft
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/review/product/list/id/1739/

20 Gallon Home Depot

RubberMaid Dolly

I got several PM's In order to close the loop on this I will update.

Drain
Using vinyl tubing (1/2" ID) and a used MJ900 I will pump water from both the display and sump; 39 feet away up and into my utility room sink. I already ran the test and it works perfectly. I will use a turkey baster to stir up anything I need sucked away. No need for the Aquarium Water Changer and having to worry about siphon.

Refill
I purchased one 20g Rubbermaid Container and Dolly.
Using vinyl tubing (1/2" ID) and a new MJ900 I will mix salt water here and then roll it over to pump into the display.

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at Rock Cycling

Rock is in two separate tubs each with a power head, a heater and a cover (to keep evap down).
They both smelled for the 1st few days but now the smell has gone away mostly.
This is Pukani Dry rock from BRS.
The tests seem to indicate I had one mini cycle but the large main cycle has not occurred yet?

The rock has only been in there for 1 week.
I only tested @ the 1 week mark.
Could ammonia have already spiked and went to zero in that time frame? I don't think so...............

tMu4v.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: