E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Mike, By removing the sand do you feel that. You also protected your glass from scratching. Because now and than as much as I try to clean the glass without scratching it. I get a few light scratches.

I noticed this a little bit on my tank. Less to worry about and you can get closer to the bottom glass without having to break out the scraper.

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Thanks Jackson

less growth? not really that I noticed.
Some of my coraline on my overflows had died off after going BB (it turned white)
But is coming back now strong. I'm not really sure why it died off.

My peramiters are.
Ca 415-420
ALK 7.7
Mag 1400
I don't amp up my coral anymore by adding extra 2part
it is just not needed and I would rather have great color than growth at this point anyway. I'm not looking to sell anything lol but don't get me wrong I still see growth with great color ;) just no need to have your Ca at 450 & your Alk at 11Dkh its wasteful.

First let me say wow.
Great Job!!
I had a chance to see this tank in person before reading this thread. As good as the pictures are it does not do this tank justice.
Mike. I don't think the coralline due off had anything to do with going bare bottom or dosing less 2 part. It more than likely was dry for more than a few hours during your transformation and that would cause the whitening.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
did you do a drain back test ? as high as the water level is in the sump, it looks like it will over flow if you ever have a power outage, btw that skimmer should be in no more then 8" of water, and a suggestion would be to junkl it and get a decent skimmer. tank looks really good so far

MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
did you do a drain back test ? as high as the water level is in the sump, it looks like it will over flow if you ever have a power outage, btw that skimmer should be in no more then 8" of water, and a suggestion would be to junkl it and get a decent skimmer. tank looks really good so far

Lol :funnypost
you obviously did not read more than the first few post :scratchch
Lots of changes happened since then my friend. I think I have it pretty much under control.

dubb

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey mike great thread.Im getting ready to go bb.Im planning on using starboard as well.Did you form a silicone seal underneath to keep junk from settling there?I have read that silicone wont adhear to starboard.Also did you clean/rinse your lr before putting it back in the tank?

MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
Hey mike great thread.Im getting ready to go bb.Im planning on using starboard as well.Did you form a silicone seal underneath to keep junk from settling there?I have read that silicone wont adhear to starboard.Also did you clean/rinse your lr before putting it back in the tank?

Hey Man.

No on the silicone I knew it would not adhere to the cutting board and I was afraid if I tried to seal it some how if it was not a 100% it would actually harden and cause a bigger gap underneath it some were rather than if I just left it flat on the bottom. I used 3/4 and it is heavy Im very happy with it as I heard the 1/2 or smaller in could warp?

As for the rocks I did not, but it would not be a bad idea at all to swish them around in a bucket of fresh salt water before going back in, any detritus or dead bacteria not going back in the tank can only be a good thing ;)

MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
Great build bro.... I noticed in the first sump, you had your return in the chamber in the middle..... What are some of the pros and cons for oing it that way

Thanks man ;)

Before when I didn't know better I ran a refugium and I had my return pump T'ed off to the refugium with a ball valve to slow down the flow in that section. This was all done to slow down the detritus so it would brake down create more phosphates in the systum so i could feed my chato,so I could harvest the chato to remove the phosphates , so I can save more poop to creat more phosphates for the chato to grow, so I can remove the chato :smash::smash::smash:

I hope you see why I don't do this anymore ;)

Bikeboss11

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Thanks man ;)

Before when I didn't know better I ran a refugium and I had my return pump T'ed off to the refugium with a ball valve to slow down the flow in that section. This was all done to slow down the detritus so it would brake down create more phosphates in the systum so i could feed my chato,so I could harvest the chato to remove the phosphates , so I can save more poop to creat more phosphates for the chato to grow, so I can remove the chato :smash::smash::smash:

I hope you see why I don't do this anymore ;)
Understood

MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
What size starboard did you go with?Im still leary about junk collecting under the board.Silicone would solve that but it won't stick to starboard.

3/4 inch board and I left a one inch gap all the way around so the silicone from the glass did not lift the board up. The board sits flat on the bottom and now with the one inch gap that is we're the detritus settles and makes it easy to siphon it out.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: