MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
Thanks everyone

Awesome, clean looking tank. What have are the positive side of going BB, that you notice in you tank?

Let me first say I don't hate (shallow) sand beds and do believe both can be successful with proper maintenance & husbandry.
With that said for my predominantly SPS reef tank I have no interest in having poop as a pet or feeding algae,micro algae,pods,worms or anything except the higher up's ;)
My goals are to remove organic compounds & prevent inorganic compounds thus removing food for algae to grow.
(Please see my sign for more on this.)

Positives for me are:

1.The over all learning and understanding why things work in my tank and not just doing things because that's what I was told by the so called experts. I do believe to many reefers do things to their tanks and don't truly understand why they are doing It. (Again read my sign) and if your happy with your tank then don't and have a great day, happy reefing. I'm not looking to debate or argue with anyone :)

2.I like a clean look! I'm not into a tank that looks like the bottom of the bay. I use to swim in some pretty nasty stuff as a kid under the smiths point bridge, maybe that had something to do with it lol. I would rather my pretty colors be in my corals rather than in my sand bed ;)

3.I have always dosed two part and I went from dosing 192mil per day with sand of each Ca & Alk to 24mil of each per day after going BB. It is amazing how much sand absorbs Ca & Alk lol.

4. As far as maintenance the settling tank is a dream! All my detritus settles in the settling tank and only in one area of the DT, that is in the front left corner in the one inch gap around the cutting board (easily siphoned out each week)

5. Over all water looks cleaner(less particles)

6. Corals look healthier and have better color.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
This tank looks awesome Mike. You're doing an amazing job with it.

I have a question about the cal/alk usage. I was BB in my 120 for a while and my 2 part usage was still high. With such a major reduction in dosing for you I am curious if you have seen lees growth in coral or coraline?

MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
This tank looks awesome Mike. You're doing an amazing job with it.

I have a question about the cal/alk usage. I was BB in my 120 for a while and my 2 part usage was still high. With such a major reduction in dosing for you I am curious if you have seen lees growth in coral or coraline?

Thanks Jackson

less growth? not really that I noticed.
Some of my coraline on my overflows had died off after going BB (it turned white)
But is coming back now strong. I'm not really sure why it died off.

My peramiters are.
Ca 415-420
ALK 7.7
Mag 1400
I don't amp up my coral anymore by adding extra 2part
it is just not needed and I would rather have great color than growth at this point anyway. I'm not looking to sell anything lol but don't get me wrong I still see growth with great color ;) just no need to have your Ca at 450 & your Alk at 11Dkh its wasteful.

MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
Mike, tx for the long detail post. I'm so tempted to go BB now....lol! My tank has been sucking up alk and cal Like crazy and hated all the ditris flowing in the water column. But I have wrasses and mandarin and a sleepy head goby.....oh well, I'll have to wait a bit.

:shhh: Don't tell the wrass police but I have a yellow coris wrass:Yikes:
but dont worry just as their wrasses told them they needed sand to sleep mine told me he is not stressed eating and sleeping fine ;)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: