jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Thanks Kris. Still too lazy to aquascape but I moved 2 rocks around and I think it may be a functional layout once I start adding corals. What do you think? Keep it or redo? Lighting is a fiji purple and actinic in this photo
DSC_0011-6.jpg

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
I think it looks great but i liked your old tonga style approach.

Your loosing a ton of coral placement space with that overhang. Maybe you could shift it toward the rear more? I think that would do it.

always hard to tell in photos.

Last edited:

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I think it looks great but i liked your old tonga style approach.

Your loosing a ton of coral placement space with that overhang. Maybe you could shift it toward the rear more?

Yea, that's what had me second guessing. That hole in the middle is a shaded area. Not sure what I can put there :happysad:

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Anything that you could place there is only going to be a pain in the butt if you ask me, Especially trying to navigate for feedings... IE gorgonias,chili,sun coral, or a dendro. All cool pieces, but all require feedings. I kick my butt everyday since i added them.

Anyways i actually really like it, but for what you want to achieve it would only work in a larger tank with a second island.

i would shift it back and out, or just replace that whole rock with a multi branch tonga and call it a wrap!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
With that aquascape, you appear just like every other 30 gallon tank [solana..which your not]. Just makes that tank look much smaller. It looks good and definitely has an appeal but for sticks you really want all that real estate. With tonga or more branching style scape you will be much happier.

I love the two left side pieces. I would ditch that large rock and replace with 2-3 branching style rocks. Your last tank proved this.

It's funny how it works, people without a cave always want a cave in a smaller tank, and people with caves always want that branch open bonzai style rock formations. caves are hard in smaller tanks.

Last edited:

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I don't have the same amount of tonga this time so it will be hard to do the same type of scape. Here is a redo. Better? Picture corals on each end of the branch.

Attachments

• DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 485
Last edited:

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Ok so I have an interesting update. It's only been a few days but apparently the tank is done with the nitrogen cycle or actually never had a cycle. The rock was from an established tank and I used some live sand from a friends tank as well. Nitrate, Nitrate, Ammonia, and phosphate are all undetectable using salifert kits. I am getting a diatom bloom which was expected. There are some small SPS bases on the rocks that are alive and recovering from being banged around. I couldn't help myself last night.......I added corals!!! Was at a friends house and borrowed a couple frags
Just some AOG palys and a green fuzzy mushroom that I will probably remove later They are open and doing well.

Attachments

• DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 460
  • DSC_0006.JPG
    DSC_0006.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 502

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Tank is looking good rich. i gotta get me some corals quick lol

Yea man what you waiting for? :) Get some sticks in there. IMO we should hold off on the fish when starting a tank so all phosphate can be sucked from the rocks. This tank won't have fish for a month or two and I will be running phosban, skimming, carbon, and micron bags. I just want to make sure that I don't get phosphates leaching from my "used" rock later on.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: