Adamc1303

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I was using a utility knife. I used razor blades today which are thinner and worked allot better. I was also not as gentle as I was yesterday. I cut a few inches and put wood shims in to hold the seam open. It came off in 10 min, I was on it for 5 hours yesterday! I'll have the new glass tomorrow! Here's a picture, she's rimless now!

Attachments

• 20121226_105512.jpg
    20121226_105512.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 492

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
looks like a lot of sweet went into this. make sure the long braces (left to right) are 5% width of the tank, and cross braces are twice the width of the long braces. and that it is the same thickness as the tank glass itself. the cross braces should be put in such a way that when looked top down should resemble a square.

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Guitar string works perfectly. High E string. Wrap 2x around 1 dowel and staple in place. Feed loose end through and do the same with the other side. Work back and forth w a gentle sawing motion. Works even better if you have someone applying GENTLE lifting pressure to the end of the piece on the end that's already loose. Keeps gap open as you go. Clean w razor blades and acetone. Use lint free paper towels also. Rags can leave lint and fibers behind.

Adamc1303

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
looks like a lot of sweet went into this. make sure the long braces (left to right) are 5% width of the tank, and cross braces are twice the width of the long braces. and that it is the same thickness as the tank glass itself. the cross braces should be put in such a way that when looked top down should resemble a square.

The glass was already cut. I went 4" all around. Originally that's what was on the tank except that it was one piece. I didn't know the cross braces should be double the width of the long braces, but then again this didn't have cross braces at all and I am adding two so it will help. I am doubling the 2 cross braces too. The tank is 28" front to back the long braces are 4" wide so I am left with 20" in the center. I will put in 2 20" braces dividing the top into 3 sections and then I will put a 27" piece (took off 1" for glass thickness) under the 20" pieces. I will also put smaller sqaures under all the corners to snadwich those seams. What do you mean "when looked top down should resemble a square"?

Thanks,

Adam

Adamc1303

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0

I like your bio! My oldest is almost 4, I am not sure if she will be a reefer. But my boy who is turning two in March stares at youtube video with me. I mean i'm not sure he knows the dfference between a reef tank and yo gabba gabba but I tell my self he does. Nice tank bro.

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
I like your bio! My oldest is almost 4, I am not sure if she will be a reefer. But my boy who is turning two in March stares at youtube video with me. I mean i'm not sure he knows the dfference between a reef tank and yo gabba gabba but I tell my self he does. Nice tank bro.
Thank You, keep them around you all the time, they will love the hobby as they get older.
Here is what i'm talking about, you can do 2 options.
adamc1303250gbrace.jpg

Adamc1303

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Thanks for the drawing although I understood what you meant. I already had the glass cut so I went with one center brace being the same width as the euro brace. The euro braces are 4.75" wide and the tank is 28" deep so I am well over the 5% mark. I think the one center brace will work, it didn't have a center brace at all before. Granted it was one piece of glass but this is doubled up on all cross braces as well. I think the tank and silicone was so strong that it could have survived being rimless as well. I don't know what the dimensions are for a rimless tank of this size I know there is a formula used. I wont ever buy a glass tank with a one piece euro brace again. I feel like the tanks needs to have some flex. The bottom pane is always one piece unless you get elos. The corners are siliconed so they flex a little too. That's why I feel like the euro brace shouldn't be one piece it should be able to flex. On an acrylic tank it's different because acrylic bends more then glass. Anyway here are pictures. I will give it like 3 days to cure before I fill her up.

Attachments

• 20121227_181726.jpg
    20121227_181726.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 529
  • 20121227_181743.jpg
    20121227_181743.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 523
  • 20121227_181747.jpg
    20121227_181747.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 531

Adamc1303

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Anyone have any pointers on leveling a tank? I want to make sure it's perfect this time. I was told by the tank builder to put the level in the tank and not on top when leveling in case the glue is thicker in areas it won't throw off the level. Other then that I was planning on just shimming one side that needs to come up (right side) and then back of the tank in the left hand corner to make it come forward more. I would then fill what ever gaps are left with shims as well.

Last edited:

Ziggy

PADI Instructor
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
I know is a lot of $ and extra work after you did nice woodwork,but what I will do is to start with building new stand in proper way and level it on the floor. I just don't believe this stand supporting this tank evenly.this is my 10cent. Just to let you know I have same size tank in my living room and 250 gallons of water is not a joke! This is at last 3000 lbs. Whatever you do do it right.

Adamc1303

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Why would my stand be an issue? I built a new stand with double 2x8"s all around. It can't get stronger then what it is. My floor is a little off but then again almost every floor is. I think I just need to level it. If I went with a new stand it would be metal.

Adamc1303

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I know is a lot of $ and extra work after you did nice woodwork,but what I will do is to start with building new stand in proper way and level it on the floor. I just don't believe this stand supporting this tank evenly.this is my 10cent. Just to let you know I have same size tank in my living room and 250 gallons of water is not a joke! This is at last 3000 lbs. Whatever you do do it right.

You know I just leveled it and there is almost a 3/8 difference side to side. The stand is perfect but the floors are really off. That being said I think I am going to get a metal stand built. I think if I get a steel stand with legs then I can level the individual legs and I will know that this thing is sitting 100% flush on the stand so it's evenly supported. It sucks because I spent allot of money on the current stand and wood work.

SPotter

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Hey Adam, when we brought my steel stand in we noticed the floor in my basement was off a little on one side. Instead of having feet put on the stand my contractor built a form a little larger than the area of the stand and then he used some kind of self leveling material that is supposed to be stronger than concrete. I cant remember what he used but the floor, stand and tank are perfectly level now. You might familiar with it and it will be cheaper to do that than buying a steel stand. What do you think?

Adamc1303

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
So here's my latest update. Last Sunday I slipped down the stairs in my house and fractured my ankle. I broke my fibia and tibia bones and tore a ligament. I was rushed to the ER and then yesterday I had surgery to put screws into my foot to hold things together. I now need to be off my feet for next 3 - 4 months! However I really don't want the tank build to come to a halt. If I can just get water in the tank then I can let it do a long and healthy cycle. I was hoping I can get some good NY reefers together and see if you guys can help me out. I wish this was an upgrade or downgrade so I can give out frags but unfortunately I don't have any livestock at all. I have a close buddy of mine that moved out of the country and is actually coming for a visit in a week. He can help me aquascape and stuff of that sort but he isn't good with plumbing. I was the partner in crime that took care of that stuff for us when he lived in the US. I Maybe we can do it on a Sunday or any other day of the week since I am always home now lol staring at a tv, empty tank and MR. If anyone knows of a fish store or maintenance person that I could contract to do all of this for a flat fee i would love that as well. I am not really the type that asks for help unless I really don't have a choice. Although I do know that we all love doing this stuff...

This is a list of what needs to be done to get the tank going:

Remove tank off old stand and put it on the dollies

Move tank away take off dollies and place on floor

Move stand to backyard using dollies

Set steel stand and level (has leveling legs so it should take under 5 min)

Slide tank over and place on stand

Connect plumbing back. It's pvc which I had to cut even though it had unions. It needs some couplings and an elbow glued.

I swapped out some pipe for flex spa on my return line and it's leaking so I need to do that to be redone

Plumb in second pump to the other bulkhead in my sump and make a manifold to feed 2 media reactors, a skimmer, calcium reactor and a spare for a chiller in the future. I need to have it with valves before each feed. The main pump is the RLSS DC10000 which is electrically controlled so it won?t be dialed back with a valve.

Set up Calcium Reactor
Once this is all done I will have the rodi water made and I will do the freshwater tested. I can do this on my own. Once it runs for a weeks with no leaks or tanks cracking! I hope my buddy who is coming in will be around to do the 2nd part.

I need to have him rinse all the live sand. I may do the live sand in the first stage of everything because i like Putting it in before water. The only down side I see is that if for whatever reason this needs to get drained again or moved for whatever reason there will be a few hundred pounds of sand.

I need to rinse all the pukani rock with Muriatic acid, hose off really well and aquascape!

Add salt to the freshwater and get salinity going.

Once the salt is in I?ll have a skimmer to play with

Get GFO reactor working

Get Carbon reactor working

3rd stage is

Mount my lights to my canopy when I get them. I'll do this and then get anyone to just put the canopy on the tank!

I know it's allot of stuff but in my head it's all fast and quick! Wish me luck! Oh and here is a picture of what my foot has in it. I think it's crazy they look like deck screws!

Thank's

Attachments

• 20130108_173933.jpg
    20130108_173933.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 487

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: