jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
everything is looking great! How's the new light?

Thanks Luke. The new light gives better spread as I had hoped for, and the t5s fire up brighter. The tank is visually brighter with the giesemann, and I feel saver with half of the weight hanging from my ceiling.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Impressive. Great job buddy.

Thanks Dave. It's been a while since I grew corals to a large size. Following in your footsteps :)

Tank looks fantastic!!! Thank you for sharing and keep up the good work!!!

I love the stand and fish closet!!

Thanks so much. That's a tttony stand. The closest was from nadeau in midtown. I got lucky finding a matching cabinet that was affordable. I originally didnt plan for a side cabinet (underestimated amount of equipment)

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Pierce, I didnt realize that there was a max size limit on the halibut. I always see pics of fish that are several hundred lbs. They still taste good :) Tuna fishing is on fire by me right now. Going to make a trip to fill the freezer soon. Are you ever in my anymore?

I was fishing at Langara Island Canada, they are very strict on sport fishing. Apparently halibut don't mature and breed until they are over 10yrs old and certain length, they are trying to preserve the breeding stock. I been back in NYC a few times this year, each time was less then 48 hours and didn't get any free time to call you and KC for beers.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
jackson you making me want to go out ant get get metal halides i guess leds do suck compared to the results that you are getting even though i do get good results with my t5s

I like MH but I can't give the lighting all the credit. I also have 4 t5's which eliminate any shadows, along with 2 blue reef brites that give added florescent pop. The nutrient balance is very delicate. There's a fine line between nutrients that are too high (corals darken and turn brown), and the "right" amount of nutrient where your colors are deep and rich. You also have to factor in light intensity, duration, and coverage with this balance. This is why I choose to go with a bright, but very uniform light such as the combo I am using now.

Thank you for the eye candy this morning Rich! :hug: Trully needed it..

Thanks Awilida :)

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Today is the one year anniversary of this reef. I am very pleased the way things are progressing. At the moment my nutrients are still a bit high due to a broken skimmer pump, but I'm getting things back in the balance that I prefer. I am slowly removing corals to reduce clutter and allow or more growth + flow. Excuse the frag rack, I am coloring up a batch of those rainbow tenuis frags before I ship them.

Here's a video from today
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/aBy4XN00M-w?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'll post some pics later.

kingator

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
157   0   0
dude u done a great job at this .....its sick what you accomplished is 1 yrs time with this system , hopefully to follow in your footsteps one day .crazy buddy crazy i say

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Thank you Mike

Israel, this approach has worked better than my previous systems, which I now feel were too "clean". Thanks for the good words.

Dk, most stuff was grown from frags. There are a couple of grown from wild aussie chunks too.
Here is the tank on Jan 6th
Jan 6th 2014 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

And a pic from today. Some corals have been moved and changed since then, but you can see the growth for the most part.
1 year by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Randy, thanks :) I am learning a lot with this tank. With a bioload as high as mine, I had to get creative to manage my nutrients. I don't think i'll ever run a reef again without a carbon source/bacteria added.

Last edited:

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
I KnOw I Dont Need It Yet But What Were Your Params When You Started The Carbon Source. I Been Reading About It But Dont Understand It Enough.Yet. Is Activated Carbon In A Reactor The Same As Carbon Dosing. I Been Seeing Improvements Steadly I Know There Is Gonna Be A Time Where My System Will Reach Its Point Where Ill Need To Implement A Carbon Source I Just Wanna Be Prepared . I AM Finally Enjoying This Tank Again.

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I've seen this tank in person and I was astonished with the color, growth and clarity of the water in the system. Keep it up and you give us inspiration that one day we will achieve perfection and balance.
Thanks for the used radium btw, seein it on my tank made me go 20K.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: