jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I like the Jackson's special, where did you pick that up from?

Fishing season is over? I was in British Colombia fishing for salmon and Halibut last wed-friday, awesome trip.

Pierce! I always look forward to your 3am posts :loll: Fishing season still in effect, but I get a chance to breathe this time of year. The Jackson Special coral was pure luck. I purchased a blue tenuis looking frag from Samsky last year and it turned into this.
How big were the halibut?

Best tank ive seen in person. Dude got me ordering more rock, smelly @ss bacteria, and METAL HALIDES! Thanks Jack!

Haha, that smelly bacteria is good stuff! Thanks Andrew.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Awesome tank

Thank you :)

Tank is looking outstanding ... I'm curious to hear more about the bacteria. I attempted the article but it's information overload for a "relaxing hobby" :D

This part of the article sums up the approach I have taken:

"Probiotic" Application of Bacteria
A "probiotic" can be defined as a live microbial adjunct that offers a benefit to animals, algae, plants, corals, or the ambient microbial community. This benefit can be assessed in terms of an improved use of food (i.e., enhanced nutritional value), enhanced disease resistance, or by improving the quality of the ambient environment (Verschuere et al., 2000). The introduction of live bacteria cultures into a marine aquarium may be viewed as a "probiotic" husbandry technique.

Deterministic (non-random) factors influencing the survivability of bacteria that are deliberately introduced into a marine aquarium include salinity, temperature, oxygen concentration, and the quality and quantity of available nutrients. The development of a microbial community within a marine aquarium is also influenced by stochastic (random) phenomena: chance favors organisms that happen to be in the right place at the right time to enter the system and to proliferate if suitable conditions exist. It is this stochastic aspect that explains why different marine aquaria may evolve distinctly different microbial communities despite the appearance of nearly identical conditions. The idea that both environmental conditions and random chance influence the emergence of microbial communities provides the context for the concept of probiotics as biological conditioning and control agents. During a time period in which a stable microbial community in a marine aquarium is still emerging, a single addition of a live bacterial culture may suffice to achieve colonization and persistence in the ambient environment, provided that the strains being added are well adapted to the prevailing environmental conditions. When the environment already carries a relatively stable microbial community, it is more likely that a live bacterial culture will have to be added on a regular basis in order to achieve an artificially stable presence in the microbial community (Verschuere et al 2000).

The one other step I have taken is to really push the amount of fish in the system. I believe the urine supports high nitrifying bacteria populations, but that's all speculation. I'm not reinventing the wheel here, this balance exists in many older established systems. I wanted to achieve it faster.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Pierce! I always look forward to your 3am posts :loll: Fishing season still in effect, but I get a chance to breathe this time of year. The Jackson Special coral was pure luck. I purchased a blue tenuis looking frag from Samsky last year and it turned into this.
How big were the halibut?

Haha, that smelly bacteria is good stuff! Thanks Andrew.

Looking for some of cool looking coral!

My two fishing trips were awsome this year, caught my salmon limit on day two with three kings and three cohos. Switched to halibut and got a 12 and 18 pounder. One of my buddies caught one over the size limit, est to be 100 pounds on a salmon rod and 20lb line, we had to cut the line. He went home with a 46 pounder and a back pain.

Your tank is looking good as all ways!

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Pierce, I didnt realize that there was a max size limit on the halibut. I always see pics of fish that are several hundred lbs. They still taste good :) Tuna fishing is on fire by me right now. Going to make a trip to fill the freezer soon. Are you ever in my anymore?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: