Marteen

Meow?
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Sounds like when you added the fish and crabs you had an ammonia spike and that may be what caused the crabs to molt their claws. Since you only had live rock and LS in your tank the sudden increase in bioload could have been a contributing factor to your die off. Damsels are pretty hardy so they wouldn't have died during the spike but some of your more fragile fish and inverts would have.

autoponicz

powered by MR
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
welcome...
petco fishes are usually not healthy fishes to begin with...so look here for vendors go check them out....it will open a whole new world for you...
you can find a RODI unit for fairly cheap...about $100 bucks if you shop around..

nice whip by the way...b18c turbo? that is a large intercooler on that badboy...

Pootie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
welcome...
petco fishes are usually not healthy fishes to begin with...so look here for vendors go check them out....it will open a whole new world for you...
you can find a RODI unit for fairly cheap...about $100 bucks if you shop around..

nice whip by the way...b18c turbo? that is a large intercooler on that badboy...

Yea i know, but i handpicked the ones i got from PetCo. I had them set aside in another tank and watched for a few days b4 i got them(made sure they were eating and no noticable infections/paracites). Since there is no refund on Saltwater fish i had to make sure since new arrivals seem well then their health start to drop from maybe the stress of handling. But i will deff start checking out some of the vendors on this forum. I won't be putting any livestock in this tank till i figure out the water quality.
PS:yes u are correct it's a GSR (B18c1) Sleeved 84mm block, built head w/ CTR cams and GSR tranny with LSD. Last set-up made 447whp@15psi (stock sleeved GSR with 81mm bore CP 9:1 pistons and Eagle rods.)

The new sleeved big-bore set-up should be getting tuned next week. Aiming for 750whp on my dual Walbro 255 fuelpumps and the new BW S366 turbo.

I see u have a K20a2 in a EK, looks good

Last edited:

Pootie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
NJRC swap is this saturday, It should be great if you test your water and everythings good. A LOT of vendors will be there!

yea man, i am soo strapped for time .. i was suposed to go home and test the water lastnight and had a lil incident with the crazy guy that lives under me (he claims i stomp all night and keep him up). Well lastnight he decided to come up and knock my door and when i opened the door he tried to barge in..Well that ended in a Police report and a long night.

i'll try to get readings tonight or on lunch.

But i am off on Saturday, PM or post info on the swap, i might attend!

Pootie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i'm a lil colorblind..

ok so i did a lil testing today on my lunch brake..

and it's like this ..
the test kit. (good or bad?)
IMG_2284.jpg

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
IMO the API kits are fine for readings like Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite..and even PH (I see you are correctly using the High Range PH kit:))

I'm looking at an API High Range kit and the color on the card looks fine from here..8.2 leaning toward 8.4.
All of your numbers look good, even the nitrate one. If it looks like a lemon yellow, it is a '0' reading. It would have to look more like the ammonia color you got to read hiuger than a zero.

If you keep all of your reading like these - then you're on your road to success ;)

Pootie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
IMO the API kits are fine for readings like Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite..and even PH (I see you are correctly using the High Range PH kit:))

I'm looking at an API High Range kit and the color on the card looks fine from here..8.2 leaning toward 8.4.
All of your numbers look good, even the nitrate one. If it looks like a lemon yellow, it is a '0' reading. It would have to look more like the ammonia color you got to read hiuger than a zero.

If you keep all of your reading like these - then you're on your road to success ;)
Thank you Kathy!!

Wanna hear something funny.. i have been doing (Tap water) water changes for the past year n a half... and the paramaters have all been like the ones posted... and i can nott keep most invertebrates in my tank for more than a few days..

My cleaner crew all died within a week.

My Porcelin crabs lasted about 3 weeks (they were filter feeding and seem well, just dropped their claws within the first 10 minutes of introduction) and frantic grooming with hind legs. Then one day they both died.

My cleaner shrimp lasted a few days

My Green crabs and Christmas tree worms lasted the longest ( about 3 months for the crabs , and i still have 2-3 worms in the rock)..

could it be salinity?.. i think my hydrometer dosent read well, i think i have dried salt stuck between the needle.. i have to wash with hotwater to get it mobile,, and even then it moves stiff.

18oreefer

+270
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
your lack of invert longevity could be due to copper in your water from old pipes as was mentioned earlier in the thread. even a little copper can kill inverts. grab your self a test kit for that and while your at it pick up a phosphate test kit if your not running a phosban reactor.

p.s. get your self a refractometer. there more gooder

Last edited:

Pootie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
your lack of invert longevity could be due to copper in your water from old pipes as was mentioned earlier in the thread. even a little copper can kill inverts. grab your self a test kit for that and while your at it pick up a phosphate test kit if your not running a phosban reactor.

p.s. get your self a refractometer. there more gooder

lol@ more gooder.. Well i have been doing partial water changes with RO water for the past few months, and have since got a few hermet crabs and some peppermint shrimps, and they are all doing well.

Got this guy a few days ago, and will be getting him a Pistol Shrimp buddy in another month or so.

He is a Yashia Shrimp Goby

him in the Bag..
IMG_4645.jpg

All settled in the next day, he set up shop in a ship . My Yellow Watchman Goby used to live in it, but i guess he got the boot.:what:
IMG_4655.jpg

IMG_4657.jpg

IMG_4658.jpg

IMG_4659.jpg

IMG_4662.jpg

IMG_4667.jpg

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
your best bet would be to buy your self a ro/di. Try to put a post out on this site for any live rock that has come out of tanks that you can add to your tank. I would not put any inverts in the tank until you have the ro di and use that for about a month in. Also it is a good idea to buy the water from petco or any other store that offers you disteled water. The best bet for you now, you can mix the water in a bucket and add a power head to have the water move around, leave the water out for about a day and then add that into the tank. You should be fine.

h20 freak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper is probably the problem if its the inverts going and not the fish. Get a test kit and run carbon.

Also take it easy with the additions, try to stabalize the tank first.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: